English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 April 2006, 13:14   #1
rare_j
Zone Friend

2Gb boot partition limitation

Why do people recommend that the boot partition on an amiga drive is less that 2GB?

Is it possible to have a boot partition bigger than 2GB?

Just curious because I see this advice handed out regularly without explaination.
Old 29 April 2006, 13:59   #2
rare_j
Zone Friend

Excuse me, I did a search and found some answers

Quote:
You can access only the first 4GB of the drive and you can only create partitions of less then 2GB.
Quote:
FFS of WB3.1 cannot use partitions larger than 2GB and it can only access the first 4GB of the drive.
Old 29 April 2006, 16:01   #3
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Is it possible to have a boot partition bigger than 2GB?
You need a boot partition larger than 2Gb? My boot partiton is 75Mb and I have never needed more. (my Work partition is 3Gb, but that's using SFS)
Old 29 April 2006, 16:42   #4
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
You need a boot partition larger than 2Gb? My boot partiton is 75Mb and I have never needed more. (my Work partition is 3Gb, but that's using SFS)
I dont think he wants a boot partion bigger than 2gb....just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j
Just curious because I see this advice handed out regularly without explaination.
Old 29 April 2006, 23:13   #5
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

It's possible (in theory). If you have a device like a Kickflash, Algor Pro/Romulus, eFlash, etc. you can patch the SCSI.DEVICE before boot. Other devices CSMK3/CSPPC/Fastlane might not have this restriction at all.

I haven't tried this with my Kickflash, as I agree that 2GB is more then enough.
Old 01 May 2006, 17:10   #6
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

My first boot partition is 4gb in size and I use OS 3.9. It can't be more than 4gb because of the limitations. But with the new file system OS 3.9 uses I can easily use my 20gb harddrive. What I have found though is that its probably better setting the first partition to 1gb so you have no problem using some of the harddrive installers you find on some of the applications.
Old 01 May 2006, 19:24   #7
pbareges

i already faced such dilemnas when installing a 20GB HD on my amiga (OS3.0).

- from all what i read in EAB forums, i think the most valuable answer was that you can have partitions greater than 2Gb but single file
size limit is 2GB because of DOS. So to avoid getting files larger than 2Gb, the easiest way is to set partition size limit to 2Gb !!

- about the first 4Gb limitation problem...you can still patch FFS with a version handling direct SCSI so that you have no more limitation (i prefer this solution to others as you don't need to run any special instruction in your startup-sequence to patch the SCSI/IDE controller) - but you have to be careful and not use tools such as format with extended partitions

good luck
Old 02 May 2006, 16:37   #8
jmmijo

Would you still have issues if you just created multiple partitions that were only 2GB in size to use up the rest of a 20 or 40 GB hard drive ?!?

I've been contemplating updating one of my A500/GVP Turbo machines with something larger then the 250MB drive installed in it now. But of course I don't really want to mess things up if I can help it
Old 02 May 2006, 18:38   #9
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
I've been contemplating updating one of my A500/GVP Turbo machines with something larger then the 250MB drive installed in it now. But of course I don't really want to mess things up if I can help it
What Workbench do you have on your A500? I've got a 40Gb 2.5" drive in my A500 (WB3.1, 3.0ROMs). I only really need 4Gb, but you can't get a high speed 4Gb drive anymore so I got 40Gb and use the space beyond 4Gb for safe backup and storage. When I boot normally, I only see 4Gb - my 5 partitions for everyday use.

If I need to access my backup partitions beyond 4Gb, I click a button to run loadmodule with scsi.device 43 and when it reboots, I see all the other partitions beyond 4Gb (up to 40Gb). The beauty of this is that I save memory when I don't need to access the partitions beyond 4Gb (buffers for each partition take up RAM). Also, by not running it every time I don't have to have an annoying double boot every time I start my Amiga (only when I want to access my backups).
Old 02 May 2006, 21:41   #10
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo
Would you still have issues if you just created multiple partitions that were only 2GB in size to use up the rest of a 20 or 40 GB hard drive ?!?
The size of partitions does not matter. Partitions divide the HDD into logical parts, but the 4GB limit applies to the physical access. A different logical view does not change the physical problem.
Old 28 May 2009, 23:50   #11
dframeli

Thomas,

I have an Amithlon system (using AmigaOS v3.9) that I'm trying to setup...

So, when I partition my hard drive, none of the partitions can be over 4GB total in size?

Is there a work around? For example, are there any free alternative file systems that work well and will allow me to create "work" partitions larger than 4GB?

Thanks,
Dale
Old 29 May 2009, 04:15   #12
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Just a tip: if someone manage to de-validate a FFS boot partition, the re-validation process will take forever on a very large one.

Amithlon is a totally different matter, as it can use Linux file system, too.
Old 29 May 2009, 10:26   #13
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Just a tip: if someone manage to de-validate a FFS boot partition, the re-validation process will take forever on a very large one.
Except for CSPPC users with U2WSCSI disk, 1 GB partition validates in about one minute.
Old 29 May 2009, 11:11   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
Except for CSPPC users with U2WSCSI disk, 1 GB partition validates in about one minute.
It is not size but number of files.
Old 29 May 2009, 11:48   #15
zipper

And block size
Old 30 May 2009, 05:19   #16
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
... And no more than five sub-directories, when more than 5 sub-dirs exists and the problematic file on the last directory: good bye partition!

This is not "documented", but a bug people involved on translation of OS3.9 know. Old ATO times...