English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 28 September 2001, 22:41   #1
MethodGit

Cool Do you remember any music singles/album tracks that borrowed heavily sounds from...

...the old computers of the 20th Century? 8-bit or 16-bit stuff.

I'll start off with one: Go to your favourite MP3 downloader and try and grab a hip-hop track called Raise It Up by Slum Village. The tune in the background sounds very C64-ish to me.
Old 29 September 2001, 23:53   #2
MethodGit

Come on! Surely you know of any music pieces that borrow from old computer music? Might as well scratch some decks while I wait. Bo! Selecta! Krunkin'!
Old 30 September 2001, 00:12   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

Zombie Nation by Kernkraft 400 borrowed the entire main riff from a classic C64 game, sadly the name escapes me of the game, but it's true I have the game on a CD.

Seeing as I don't remember the games name, you'll have to take my word for it

**Update** Just remember what it's called, Lazy Jones The beats different, but it's definitely the same tune, remixed for the 90's

Attached is the disk image for you to try it yourself

Last edited by Ian; 30 September 2001 at 00:25.
Old 30 September 2001, 06:31   #4
birdy-scc
Banned

There aren't many tunes beyond Tetris that made this leap.

Though this super-mario tune, being totally shite, may fit. But what about games that have ripped-off tunes from other sources?

The Delta Theme, a classic C64 tune by Rob Hubbard was actually a speeded up cover of a track by Philip Glass that was in the film "Koyaanatsqatsi"

A stoner's delight that one.

Another game I can remember was "Ice and Fire", which though I played it on an ST, had quite a good sample of the bass-line from "Assault on Precinct 13", the film by John Carpenter, before Xenon 2's Megablast -which also used it.

And while I'm on the subject, you might like to know that after re-writing a tune by Alien Sex Fiend for a game released by Ocean, Barry Leitch went on to co-write their next album.

This will definitely become more complicated if I continue, so I'll leave it here.
Old 30 September 2001, 06:50   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by birdy
The Delta Theme, a classic C64 tune by Rob Hubbard was actually a speeded up cover of a track by Philip Glass that was in the film "Koyaanatsqatsi"
Speeded up, eh? Now that's ironic considering some of the time lapse photography sequences in that ethereal film.

One of the games I was working on that I mentioned in another thread featured a song I did, which was a remake of John Cage's 4' 33"...
Old 30 September 2001, 07:24   #6
birdy-scc
Banned

That film ebbs and flows, if you'll pardon the cliche. the cool thing thing is that Mr Hubbard reversed the effect.(bigger cliche!)

I had a quick look for that track 4'33 , but it seems elusive...

What I did find was the quote "New Albion" which means New Britain, which is one of Tony blehr's soundbites.

Have you got a link for the mp3, twistin'?
Old 30 September 2001, 07:40   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Um...you may wanna try this link first...

http://www.azstarnet.com/~solo/4min33se.htm
Old 30 September 2001, 07:49   #8
birdy-scc
Banned

The first thing I saw was "silent composition"

Then I remembered! fecking pop-art!
Old 30 September 2001, 09:09   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Gotcha!
Old 30 September 2001, 17:33   #10
birdy-scc
Banned

(but you'll pay dearly for that, oh yes!)
Old 01 October 2001, 00:25   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Just wanted to see if you were as receptive to it in the other direction as you were in a previous thread which I can't recall at the moment.

And for the record, the intention wasn't to spoof you. I thought you'd get it immediately after you mentioned knowing Phillip Glass (music appreciation types tend to know both). And I really did do the cover version. I will post the URL for it once mp3.com approves it. I wonder if this falls under copyright infringement...

And a 10-year old musical protegé of mine recorded a cover version of Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music", as well.
Old 01 October 2001, 01:27   #12
birdy-scc
Banned

That's cool, I was almost expecting it!

Copyright infringement on mp3.com? That's a coincidence.

I made a page for a friend of mine on there, after hearing his midi version of "Addicted To Love", by Robert Palmer. It was removed for infringement, but it certainly didn't LOOK OR FEEL like the original!

Download Addicted to love - Doctor Paul and you are guaranteed a laugh.
Old 01 October 2001, 01:28   #13
Amiga1992

I think those mega lame Vengaboys use C64s in some of their songs. Then there is this artist called Bastian who has a SidStation, and.. hmm... well, some songs by XV Killst or Mystica feature the famous chip-sounds.

Zombie Nation's song is the best example, for it is a remade C64 tune as Samurai said. David Whittaker got paid around 4000DM for the rights, or something like that.

I can't think of any more. Well, there uis this local electronica group who released albums with remakes of arcade videogame of the 80s music. Pretty good one.
Old 01 October 2001, 01:44   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

LOL!

Quite bad, this. Lounge lizard Euro style! BTW: I had to uncook it to get it to play. And this would definitely fall under copyright infringement since the melody (however loosely interpreted) and the lyrics are still Palmer's. mp3.com are quite edgy about copyrights considering how many times they have been sued. But with written permission from the copyright holder (or publisher), cover songs can appear there.

Problem is, with 4'33", I'll probably never hear from the approval team, as they just ignore some entries and ignore emails. Their support team at that site gets worse by the minute.
Old 01 October 2001, 01:49   #15
birdy-scc
Banned

I just got a mail from Barry Leitch - this is a bit of it

------

I still get a couple of emails every week about amiga stuff, and am
currently working on some real remixes of amiga tunes for that immortal 2 cd.. they are as follows

Lotus 2 Title – completed (with Live guitar too)

Hero Quest Ingame – bout 40% done all orchestral stuff, sounds cool

Super Cars 2 ingame – haven’t done shit on it yet, but gonna have 2 guitar tracks on it..

------

What does "uncook" mean? BTW
Old 01 October 2001, 01:50   #16
Amigaboy

LOL @ Doctor Paul mp3

Addicted to Love - Robert Palmer vs Doctor Paul mix

Old 01 October 2001, 01:55   #17
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Zombie Nation's song is the best example, for it is a remade C64 tune as Samurai said. David Whittaker got paid around 4000DM for the rights, or something like that.
Who said??
Old 01 October 2001, 01:57   #18
Amiga1992

DUH

How could I forget Kraftwerk? On their compositions they must have used every damned computer they could get thier hands on

I was lucky to see one of thier last live shows, it was amazing. Kraftwerk rules.
Old 01 October 2001, 02:09   #19
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Uncook: depending on how you have your browser setup and your associations with files (in this case, mp3's) and the server they come from, when a browser downloads an mp3, it becomes garbled and produces noise like it's underwater. I use Unphuck to uncook the file, or return it to its normal state. Not unlike what a browser will do with an lzh/lha/lzx file if you don't have the MIME type set (which also require a util to return them to their proper state).

This rarely happens with me and mp3 files, but for those rare occasions, I keep Unphuck installed.
Old 01 October 2001, 03:17   #20
Djay
95th User

a couple of months ago i read about a bloke in the u.s. who was ripping old demo scene music, and selling them you music producers and film producers. he figured that no one in the u.s. would have heard them before, in some cases he didn't even edit the tracks!

a bucket load of old sceners found out and proved that it was their creations, needless to say, the bloke got busted!

anyway else remember reading this?