English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 February 2012, 02:02   #1
chrispoacher

Eek Amiga Floppy Drive strangeness.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have a bizarre happening with my A1200 drives, internal and external. I was formatting some old disks the other day but they would not format so I guessed they were just bunk and old. However after throwing the disks in the bin, my drives [both internal and external] will now read absolutely fine, and [pretend] to write fine too.

What I mean is, if I format a disk or use an .ADF dumper program to put an amiga disk file onto a floppy, the process says it's worked fine, even giving the process indicator as it goes all the way up to 100%, but then reading the disk back on the amiga and it's like nothing has happened, the disk I formatted still contains the data that was on there before the format/adf dump occurred.

I've tried cleaning both drives with a cleaning disk and asopropyl alcohol but to no avail.

I'm stumped. strange for it to happen to '2' drives, both which have had little use, which I used the same bunk disk in. Could it be that I've magentised the write head or something?? Any help would be wonderful.

Chris.
Old 07 February 2012, 02:31   #2
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It may sound extrange that I'll ask, but what do you have connected to the Amiga and with which Psu? Sometimes a lack of volts can make extrange behaviours... although your problem sounds very rare...
Old 07 February 2012, 06:38   #3
chrispoacher

Hi there, I have an A1200, with standard PSU, IDE Buffered device, CF 4GB IDE.
Old 07 February 2012, 12:32   #4
maddoc666

Do you have a genuine Amiga floppy drive as DF0:? Reason i ask is i have seen this happen with a modded pc drive working as DF0: Reads disks fine and appears to format fine but when checked, no changes have been made.

P.S. i think it was a modded mitsumi drive i saw this happen with.
Old 07 February 2012, 12:36   #5
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
It might be a PSU problem. Do you have an A500 PSU to test it with? Or try removing the IDE interface to test the mobo with ONLY the floppy drive attached.
Old 07 February 2012, 17:17   #6
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispoacher View Post
I've tried cleaning both drives with a cleaning disk and asopropyl alcohol but to no avail.

I'm stumped. strange for it to happen to '2' drives, both which have had little use
Since it happens with both drives, almost surely it's not related to them (I mean: they are fine).
It could be the motherboard, or the PSU as Bamiga2002 said.
Old 07 February 2012, 17:37   #7
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
It can be a symptom of too low PSU wattage with some peripherals attached. I have experienced this myself that a floppy drive is "not working" when the PSU can't cope with too much stress.
Old 08 February 2012, 00:12   #8
chrispoacher

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses. It is a standard unmodded A1200 internal drive and a roctec [slim] amiga external one. maybe I will try another powersupply and/or remove all the peripherals and retry. Just seems really bizarre that for such a long time they would work absolutely fine for years and without me doing anything different than putting in a dodgy disk, would both start behaving wierdly. The thing that alterted me was the fact that the amiga would happily format a drive and give me a 100% complete, surely there's some verification of this, even copying files seems to work until you try to read them back. very bizarre. I think I have a spare psu in the attic, otherwise is it very difficult to modify an old PC one as I have loads of those laying around unused?
Old 08 February 2012, 00:26   #9
Anemos
70X7

The drive can be read,but not write?
Except EasyADF, you can write something file on formated disk?
if you cant.. must be test another floppy drive..
Old 08 February 2012, 00:38   #10
chrispoacher

Hi, perhaps I will upload a video to youtube tomorrow to make it easier to explain what's going on.
Old 08 February 2012, 22:05   #11
chrispoacher

[ Show youtube player ]

sorry for poor quality, my HTC phone is not the best. [stands for H.i T.ech C.rap]
Old 08 February 2012, 22:06   #12
chrispoacher

[ Show youtube player ]

just found another spare external floppy I put in the attic a while back that I know was althought a bit battered was 100% working. It looks now like it's not the floppy drives themselves that are broken, maybe the floppy controller chip ???

as you can see, sometimes the a dodgy disk when trying to be formatted will say 'cannot format cylinder 0', but good disks seem to format ok, only to find nothing has been actually physically written to the disk.
Old 08 February 2012, 22:35   #13
chrispoacher

.. and bofore anybody asks, 'NONE' of the drives are PC modified or hacked, they are all old fashioned genuine Amiga standard, factory fitted never removed internal and 3rdparty standard 'click every 2 seconds' 880k floppy drives circa 1988-1992.
Old 08 February 2012, 23:09   #14
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Are the pins ok in the floppy connector? Sometimes one gets broken. Edit: Oh, no, you're trying an external one too.
Have you tried with another Psu yet?
Old 08 February 2012, 23:21   #15
chrispoacher

Hi, the internal floppy has never been touched yet alone removed, havent tried another PSU yet, I hope there's a spare in the attic, otherwise I dont know.
I've even tried booting just from the workbench disk and using that version of format in case my hd installation is corrupt somehow and it does exactly the same

tbh though, even when I was installing the CF drive the other day [the floppies went mad before I did this btw] and just booted from the PCMCIA driver disk and ran the adfblitzer program without any workbench harddrive booting, it still failed to write a floppy when I was trying to make a workbench 3.1 bootdisk for hdtools. the only peripherals I had then were the cf-ide, x4 buffered ide and trapdoor RAM expansion. no external floppys, cdrom etc so surely power drain wouldnt have been heavy.
Old 08 February 2012, 23:23   #16
Anemos
70X7

I have seen the "Initializing" time is to long,that is bad..
Can you try to format one new HD disk (closed all holes with tape) to see what happen..
Old 08 February 2012, 23:28   #17
chrispoacher

ok, I will try tomorrow as I'm working now and the Amiga's at home. what should I be looking to happen by using a HD disk and cover the holes?

I know I've used these many years ago in the past on a previous amiga and they would work, but were not so reliable.
Old 08 February 2012, 23:31   #18
Anemos
70X7

Just the HD for new,maybe your DD disks is to old and bad.
Both internal and external Drive to make that..is strange..
Old 08 February 2012, 23:57   #19
dirkies
Zone Friend

is there perhaps any jumper or blown fuse on the mobo that would effectively disable any write command? Just guessing...
Old 09 February 2012, 00:07   #20
chrispoacher

I don't know, I've got my eye on one of those high power 200w supplies anyway which will enable me to house the PSU and my external DVD stuff in a seperate single box. [an old empty scsi container I have laying around]. Even if it doesnt fix the problem at hand at least I shouldnt have to worry about the PSU dying on my with all the extra bits plugged into my 1200 in the future.