English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 April 2001, 19:21   #1
Malc
Zone Friend

Forget Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter spin offs this has to be one of the best beat-em-ups on the Amiga, why? well....

We had fully animated backgrounds
Awesome soundtrack and samples
Huge in game characters
Great cartoon style graphics
Only 2 disks so not so much swapping
Original gameplay (not just beating the crap out of people)
FAST motion (unlike SF2)
Plenty of combat moves

The list goes on, a great game that was played to death and yeah I had the original (not a copy )
Old 19 April 2001, 10:28   #2
Tim Janssen

Great game. It even runned on my A500

Yes, Elfmania truly is a great beat'em-up. I first saw the game on AGA machines of my friends. They laughed at me because a game this colourful simply could not run on a bog-standard Amiga 500. -how wrong they were.
(My pirated copy of) Elfmania plays perfect on my A500 and I still enjoy it nowadays.

But if I had to choose my favourite Beat'em up, it would be Gremlin's Shadow Fighter. Do you know that game?
Old 19 April 2001, 11:55   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Shadow Fighter

Shadow Fighter is much better than Elfmania. Graphically, Elfmania looks very pretty, but Shadow Fighter is the more playable game.
Old 19 April 2001, 12:11   #4
RCK
Administrator

bah

You are all wrong !!!!!!!

IK+ and Barbarian Palace are the only two best fighting game on Amiga :haha
Old 19 April 2001, 23:17   #5
Malc
Zone Friend

hehehehehehehe hahahah hehe
Old 20 April 2001, 19:02   #6
Gibby

IK+

IK + was the best beat-em-up on the Amiga. Only one disk, loaded up very quickly, good music and sound effects. It could be played in turbo mode as well as normal or YAWN.

Okay there were only a handful of moves available but it was fast and furious and could be two player against the computer.

You could play against your other human player or you could try and work it so both of you went through. Even if the other human player was knocked out you could continue the game.

There were interesting sub-games as well and it started off fairly easily and got really hard as you progressed through the belts.

It was one of the first ever games I had for my amiga and it remained a classic through-out my Amiga life.

Old 08 June 2001, 02:16   #7
Unregistered

IK was one of the first games I played on the C64 I loved it. Then IK+ was made for the C64 introducing 3 players at once (Is there any other beat'em'up which has this?? And the second Amiga game I played was IK+ (The first being Cloud kingdoms)

IK+ Might not be graphically beautiful by today's standards but it still has plenty of gameplay, and as for the limited features, well at least you don't need to worry about your opponent using an unfair key/Joy combination to use a special ability which you don't know.

Old 08 June 2001, 23:01   #8
Amiga1992

IK is, IMO, a completely different game. It's on a league of its own, really.

For SF-like fighters, Shadow Fighter was good, and I again give my vote to Super Street Fighter 2.

Elfmania was all mouth and no trousers. Pure technical beauty, the game was arse. Not even original, it had the same control method as Body Blows, really, with a wee small twist.
Old 23 June 2001, 06:49   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I agree most with Akira

hmm, that's my 1st post here :-)

IK + is really another kind of game... and it's GREAT, one of the best games for Amiga in my opinion... Archer Maclean is great, where is he now?

Super Street Fighter 2 is nice, but I prefer Shadow Fighter... actually, I think Shadow Fighter is even better than the console versions of SSF2... it's a very good BEU, and if had "Super Specials" it would be a fantastic game..

Elfmania has some of the best gfx in a A500 game, but the gameplay isn't really that good...

Anybody ever played that CD32 version of Body Blows? (Body Blows Ultimate, if I remember correctly) .. people say it's a great game too....

ohhh, and Barbarian Palace.... errrrmmmmmm.. :-)
Old 15 July 2001, 14:50   #10
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I always get confused which Barbarian is which- but RCK, if Barbarian Palace is the game where two big blokes armed with swords square off against each other, you are definately right- it was one of the best beat em ups the Amiga had. I loved trying to pull off the risky yet satisfying decaptation move!

By the way, didn't you think that the guy who came out at the end of the bout (to drag the loser's corpse away) look like Kermit the Frog?

IK was tops- especially in two player! The sounds were simply classic- many taken from 80s martial arts movies!

But my fav fighter had to be Shadow Fighter- a complete rip off of Street Fighter, but exceptionally good. You would wonder how they crammed so much onto a couple of disks.

I never played Capital Punishment- is it any good? No one has mentioned it here. I reveiw I once read stated it contained tons of gore and a topless female fighter...hmmmm.
Old 24 July 2001, 08:04   #11
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Barbarian? Death Sword?

I'm glad you brought that up, Muzkat.

I think the best fighter on Amiga was Death Sword. Only, I think that 'Death Sword' was a hack of Barbarian. Death Sword was made by Epyx (or so it said).

I know we're talking about the same games just because of the 'decapitation factor'

My friend Julian who had the 'Death Sword' game is long gone now... I haven't seen any reviews for 'Death Sword'... Barbarian is awfully similar, but it doesn't say "Prepare to DIE" like Death Sword did...

Any insight, friends?
Old 24 July 2001, 09:12   #12
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool Barbarian vs Death Sword

Death Sword is the US title of Barbarian. I'm not sure which came first...

There is a sample "Prepare to die" in Barbarian!
Old 24 July 2001, 10:14   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Here's a couple of boxes for the US release; the original Death Sword release from Epyx and the Epyx/Maxx Out Series release.

Removed boxscan

Last edited by Ian; 15 October 2001 at 03:13.
Old 24 July 2001, 16:07   #14
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

The screen shots do look very similar...

I remember that the decapitation move was done by holding 'back' on the joystick (away from your opponent) and pressing fire. A few other moves were an overhead chop, jabs to the stomach and knees, a kick, a headbutt (with lovely sound effect!) and another move where you could swing your sword around in your hand, along with jumping, crouching and rolling.

Hasn't anyone here played Capital Punishment?
Old 24 July 2001, 16:18   #15
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool Capital Punishment

I've played it. It's great.
Old 24 July 2001, 18:38   #16
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Oh my...

I'm so glad we have our mandatory ESRB ratings today which have to be stuck on the covers of all our games.

Can you imagine all the grannies who mistakenly bought Death Sword for their grandchildren, thinking it was an educational game?
Old 25 July 2001, 03:25   #17
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I remember once long ago when my Mum caught me and a friend duking it out in Barbarian. One of us managed to decapitate the other, and the poor woman was horrified at what she saw!:laugh

Lucky she didn't catch me playing Technocop or Mortal Kombat...
Old 05 September 2001, 19:37   #18
mok

Elfmania - sorry not the daddy

The daddy of amiga beat em ups, is of course Super Street Fighter 2 The new Challengers.

Its on 5 disks ECS and 7 disks AGA and its very faithful to the arcade. Different style to elfmania but definately the daddy!!

Old 06 September 2001, 00:32   #19
Amiga1992

Right on mok! I found another one who thinks this game is brill! (even the so-so looking ECS version is eons betetr than Elfmania, because the gameplay is unmatched!)
Old 06 September 2001, 10:16   #20
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool SSF2-TNC

Mok - can you upload the 5 disk ECS version of Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers to the ADF-Zone, please?