English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 December 2005, 22:15   #1
xalakibaniou

Arrow winuae using real hd

I have read that winuae can mount real amiga hard disks. Recently i attached a 2.5" 80G hd low level formated on amiga using WB3.1. Windows XP crashed during the boot process. Only in safe mode i could mount the drive but winuae of course could't start in such a low resolution.

I also heard that winuae can also format harddisks and then use them in real amiga. I have attached an empty hd on my pc and when i tried to mount in via winuae, unfortunately a message like "no amiga formatted or completely empty drives detected"How can i mount an empty hd and then format it via uae? I wan't to install os 3.5 and then attach the drive back to my real amiga. Would it work? Thanks in advance...
Old 06 December 2005, 02:25   #2
OddbOd

This thread has the answers you need for getting the 3.5" drive working. The 2.5" drive is a bit of a mystery, it should work, if you format it under Windows first (in safe mode) does it still crash XP after you reboot? If it boots normally then you can disable the safety check and reformat it under WinUAE.

Always double check (make that triple check) that you have selected the correct drive when using the disableharddrivesafetycheck option as it makes all hard disks visible to WinUAE including your Windows partitions.
Old 06 December 2005, 15:11   #3
xalakibaniou

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd
This thread has the answers you need for getting the 3.5" drive working. The 2.5" drive is a bit of a mystery, it should work, if you format it under Windows first (in safe mode) does it still crash XP after you reboot? If it boots normally then you can disable the safety check and reformat it under WinUAE.

Always double check (make that triple check) that you have selected the correct drive when using the disableharddrivesafetycheck option as it makes all hard disks visible to WinUAE including your Windows partitions.
I have been looking all similar threads butwith no obvious result.
To take things from the beginning. I eventually mounted my amiga 2.5" hd with and external usb connector. I have formatted using either os3.5 and 3.9 with winuae 1.1.1 and when i placed the hd back to the amiga it seemed that formatting and installing os 3.5 had no effect on the disk!!! . The disk was mounted by amiga but it was empty and the partitions were not those i have specified in winuae hdtoolbox! What do i do wrong? Is it a hardware incompatibility? The hd i am using is a samsung 80GB
Old 06 December 2005, 16:10   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Hmmmm sounds to me that either

(a) the partition table is not being written correctly or most likely
(b) you require better scsi.device drivers (see attached)

under what format did you format ? FFS or OFS or SFS ???

the latter (SFS) is the best to format any drive for the amiga.

Last edited by Zetr0; 10 April 2010 at 19:58.
Old 06 December 2005, 16:11   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

And here is the SFS format stuffs.

Hope this helps

PS. use partition magic or something like to get the drive symmetry and then use that (not hdd tools box as it can sometimes error) there is an update for that you will have to seach the boards my friend.

I had an issue with a 40GB drive untill i replaced the device and format type and the hdtoolbox... grrrr... pain in the proverbial!

Last edited by Zetr0; 10 April 2010 at 19:58.
Old 06 December 2005, 16:57   #6
thomas

@xalakibaniou:

It seems as if a drive connected via USB is seen differently than a drive connected via IDE. The same problem is described in this thread: http://www.amiga.org/modules/newbb/v...=27705&forum=5

Unfortunately Andy has not yet responded to my offer. Perhaps you could try the program.
Old 06 December 2005, 17:00   #7
thomas

@Zetr0: your tips are nice for OS3.1 but do not apply to OS3.5 and 3.9. The scsi.device V43 is old and outdated. OS3.5 comes with scsi.device V44 IIRC, at least with one that is newer than your old beta verson.
Old 06 December 2005, 18:12   #8
xalakibaniou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
Hmmmm sounds to me that either

(a) the partition table is not being written correctly or most likely
(b) you require better scsi.device drivers (see attached)

under what format did you format ? FFS or OFS or SFS ???

the latter (SFS) is the best to format any drive for the amiga.
Thanks for the stuff provided! I will give a try as soon as possible.I am pleased that my problem is also known to others.The file system i used was Fast File System using either os3.9 os3.5 and 3.1. I have also tried to import other file system version (specificaly os3.1 located in L: directory). I also tried via IDE but unfortunately windows just halt during boot!. . I also noticed that during formating the drive via winuae the drive sounds exactly like when it is mounted in a real amiga.and the led slightly flashes. So i think that the drive is cheating
Old 08 December 2005, 02:17   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Indeed you are welcome my friend, but if i could recomend anything the best advice is to listern and head Thomas, he REALLY is a god at this stuff on the amiga!!!

he solve some serious issues i was having a while back, infact if he was a jedi, he would be yoda.. albiet perhaps a tall yoda!!

-----------------------------------

but you say that when you have the hard disk plumbed up to the PC ide your computer does not boot?

hmmmm

okay please forgive me... i have to ask you to check the obvious...

1) the inteded drive is in slave if there is a master in the chain or
2) the intended drive is master if on its own in a chain or
3) the intended drive may have a specific setting for master with slave present

i am assuming you have made them checks,

phase 2

Can you get into your PC's BIOS ? (if you are unsure in this are please leave alone as tampering in this area will cause serious issues with your system that maybe unrecoverable )

in the bios make sure that the IDE device can see all the attached devices and that the device with the Windows boot is selected as the primary boot drive.

i again assume you have done this

phase 3

remove any CD or floppy and re-boot

at this point if windows doesn`t load then reboot and follow phase 4

Phase 4

after the PC has finnished and POSTED *beeps* keep pressing f8 (i assume you are running XP Pro) a menu will apear shortly to wich select boot with safemode .

If windows safe mode loads then format the disk for fat32 native. (if this fails it could mean the RDB on the hard disk cannot be repaird by windows, you will need a 3rd party software installed like partition magic and try the steps again.)

Phase 5

reboot your PC and allow windows to attempt to boot.
from here you can use UEA to complete the task, remeber the SFS format though.

phase X

If you need this part all else has failed and are about to tear hear tooth and nail from any passer by. (by all means do so...)

truthfully though you may have an incompatible drive for the motherboard (may) or you may require to SET the PIO mode to a lesser mode in the BIOS again i do recomend caution as any mistake can cause serious problems.

if you are in any doubt please consult a technician (not from PC idiots/word) or dave's mate barry who KNOW's computers coz ya could be letting yourself infore a lota trouble should it feck up.

------------------------------------------------------------------

most of all my friend just relax, if it doesn`t work and you have the oportunity just try another hard disk.

I wish you the best of luck

Last edited by Zetr0; 08 December 2005 at 02:37.
Old 08 December 2005, 18:35   #10
xalakibaniou

@Zetr0

Thanks for the help but i have done all the appropriate settings on my HD's Windows XP halt when the splash screen appears. I tried to boot in linux (SuSE 10) and after many retries linux booted normally but i don't know how to mount the drive! I guess i have to search in a linux board in Other UAE section here. Anyway i really appreciate your help. I haven't yet tried SFS though!
Old 09 December 2005, 18:08   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

you need to specifiy in the mount to set trackdisk.device to an amiga format to understand the HDD, there are some posts in the e-uea bit my friend.. i did find however the e-uae is performs better on lesser equipment on linux compared to wondoze.

hence an an Xp2000 AMD under linux *raytracing* is about as quick as a xp3200 Barton under wondoze

heh.. gotta lurve linux, i am running fedora (core 3 atm) its nice and stable

*mind you with all them updates it prolly core 5 atm!!!!*
Old 09 December 2005, 18:28   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
trackdisk.device
?

Quote:
hence an an Xp2000 AMD under linux *raytracing* is about as quick as a xp3200 Barton under wondoze
Sorry but this can't be correct. Raw CPU power is nearly the same. Difference must be caused by something else, maybe bad priority settings, display settings (if the raytracer displayed gfx while rendering) etc.. or maybe just very badly configured Windows

To OP:

Can you attach winuaebootlog.txt after the HD is added to WinUAE's harddrive configurations?
Old 10 December 2005, 13:55   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Heys big T,

a pleasure to reply to one of your posts

*grovel mode off*

the trackdisk.device is not the exact name under the linux distro to install its something like that. one would have to read the threads a bit to find out its exact name..

and yeah.... windoze... gotta love it...

its amusing i spend 30 mins setting up linux and my whole life tweaking it, but one can spend an hour setting up windoze and the rest of thier life debugging it!!!

but seriously though, both machines can use the setup and hard file from the independent server (not at the same time lol) and the linux box runs quicker in ray tracing... well actually scan lining tracing, it can take an age ray tracing... on either rig.