English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 11 October 2021, 18:31   #1
suppah

Software Mapping 1MiB ROM - A1200

Hello,

My setup is A1200 + TF1260 (full with MMU). I've been trying to soft map a rom file of 1MiB (kickstart 3.2 + ehide.device for T1260) but MuMapROM tells me it has no memory available and if I try skick I have to disable checksum calculation in Remus otherwise it says wrong checksum (guess It doesn't support 1MiB kick at all) but then after reboot it bombs.

I haven't found ReKick around so haven't tried yet. What do you commonly use ?
Old 11 October 2021, 18:54   #2
nogginthenog
Amigan

Not too familiar with the TF1260 but ideally you want to use a MMU based mapper as skick doesn't write-protect the 'ROM' from being overwritten.

I don't think skick supports custom ROMs (unless Remus generates a patch file, I can't remember?).

Why isn't MuMapROM working? Is fast ram available when you run it?
Old 11 October 2021, 22:11   #3
suppah

Yes, im aware skick doesn't protect the memory as it doesn't use the MMU.

As far as I understand MuMapROM wants "motherboard" memory, as the guide suggests, meaning chip memory (or maybe expansion memory of some sort but I guess not accelerator's one), then it releases after reboot, idk. Not sure if it can map only 512KiB kickstarts, I was indeed expecting it to work easily.

Yes, TF1260 has 128MiB of fast, I even tried booting without startup, running setpach and then trying to map rom but nada.

Last edited by suppah; 12 October 2021 at 11:27.
Old 12 October 2021, 13:39   #4
suppah

Well, for now i can simply add "LoadModule ehide.device REVERSE" in the startup sequence and obtain the same results even though i'd prefer to test the kickstart for flashing it later.

Last edited by suppah; 12 October 2021 at 14:23.
Old 12 October 2021, 17:37   #5
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppah View Post
As far as I understand MuMapROM wants "motherboard" memory, as the guide suggests, meaning chip memory (or maybe expansion memory of some sort but I guess not accelerator's one), then it releases after reboot, idk.
The trouble is that it needs memory that does not go away upon reset, hence autoconf memory is excluded. This is quite natural as this RAM will contain the ROM image to boot from...

Quote:
Not sure if it can map only 512KiB kickstarts, I was indeed expecting it to work easily.
Frankly, I'm not clear about that either (-;, but there is no 1MB ROM, except for the CD32, and there it really doesn't matter too much, and the extended ROM area is really CD32 specific.

However, if you care about an advice: In almost all cases, you can go instead by replacing ROM modules with RAM-loaded ones. LoadModule does that for you, and it requires a lot less memory, needs almost no motherboard memory, is a lot more robust, and it also allows to protect the modules after loading. It is a considerably easier solution to the same problem.
Old 12 October 2021, 18:04   #6
suppah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
The trouble is that it needs memory that does not go away upon reset, hence autoconf memory is excluded. This is quite natural as this RAM will contain the ROM image to boot from...
TF1260 memory is not autoconfig, it's fixed at 0x08000000 for compatibility with Mediator. Is there a way to force MuMapROM to try to map the rom, even "at your own risk" ? I haven't found the switch in the command line. A "map to address x" would be nice too.

Quote:
Frankly, I'm not clear about that either (-;, but there is no 1MB ROM, except for the CD32, and there it really doesn't matter too much, and the extended ROM area is really CD32 specific.
Well, i wanted to make a 1MiB rom for the A1200 with debuggers and other goodies for buring it in 27C800s, but first i would like to test it on a real Amiga :-)

Quote:
However, if you care about an advice: In almost all cases, you can go instead by replacing ROM modules with RAM-loaded ones. LoadModule does that
Yes, LoadModule is great, as you can read from my previous post im using it for now to test ehide.device, but as TF1260 doesn't provide ehide.device to be able to boot from its IDE a custom rom is needed for first boot (same for TF1230, infact AmigaStore now sells modified ROMs with the device included, provided you give proof you own a registered 3.2).

Last edited by suppah; 12 October 2021 at 21:21.
Old 12 October 2021, 20:04   #7
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
TF1260 memory is not autoconfig, it's fixed at 0x08000000 for compatibility with Mediator. Is there a way to force MuMapROM to try to map the rom, even "at your own risk" ? I haven't found the switch in the command line. A "map to address x" would be nice too.
You could try the NOMEMFKICK switch (at your own risk)

Code:
NOMEMFKICK:		Use MEMF_PUBLIC memory to keep the resident modules.
			This also overrides the ALLTOCHIP flag.
			Note: This requires some magic *and* reset-persistent
			memory. It should be used *only* in case 
			a) otherwise MEMF_CHIP or 16-bit memory would be used
			   and this is not tolerateable 
			*AND*
			b) you really really really know what you're doing.
Old 12 October 2021, 21:19   #8
suppah

Quote:

That's a LoadModule switch, not a MuMapROM switch. LoadModule already works perfectly.
Old 12 October 2021, 21:30   #9
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
That's a LoadModule switch, not a MuMapROM switch. LoadModule already works perfectly.
Ah man, yes - you're 100% right Well, that will teach me to reply to posts after no sleep