English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 September 2019, 14:28   #1
Overmann

Shapeshifter not working after BestWB 1.2

Helloes,

So I've got a strange issue. I had a super stable system going here with 1260, P96, WB 3.1.4 and BestWB 1. I recently updated to Bestwb 1.1 and then 1.2 and apart from my shortcuts dissapearing and my WB-colors going a bit strange things seem to be working fine, but Shapeshifter is no longer working.

I have a separate SCSI HDD dedicated to shapeshifter and it will no longer boot. I just get a question mark when I start shapeshifter. I also tried using one of the hardfiles I found in the zone (known to be good) and shapeshifter crashes.

What in BestWB could be causing this? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 10 September 2019, 14:50   #2
daxb

Check the MMULib stuff or start without S-S and then manually Shapeshifter to see if that works.
Old 10 September 2019, 21:12   #3
paul1981

Look for absence of MuMove4K entry somewhere at the very top of the Startup-sequence.

It can be found in this package: http://m68k.aminet.net/package/util/libs/MMULib

What exactly do you mean by you get a question mark? I think if the MuMove4K or equivalent is missing from the Startup-sequence then you get an immediate crash when trying to start the actual ShapeShifter emulation. Anyway, I thought I'd inform you of the above if you didn't already know it.

When you say that your shorcuts have disappeared are you referring to left out icons? If so, those are stored on the root path of your disk as file '.backdrop' (without the quotes).
Old 10 September 2019, 23:05   #4
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
Look for absence of MuMove4K entry somewhere at the very top of the Startup-sequence.

It can be found in this package: http://m68k.aminet.net/package/util/libs/MMULib

What exactly do you mean by you get a question mark? I think if the MuMove4K or equivalent is missing from the Startup-sequence then you get an immediate crash when trying to start the actual ShapeShifter emulation. Anyway, I thought I'd inform you of the above if you didn't already know it.

When you say that your shorcuts have disappeared are you referring to left out icons? If so, those are stored on the root path of your disk as file '.backdrop' (without the quotes).
There is definently an absence of MuMove4k in the startup sequence. Should it be there? I've reinstalled MMUlibs now and placed mumove4k in the startup sequence but it doesn't change things I'm afraid There is so long between every time I have to fiddle with Shapeshifter that I forget everything, but my setup has been rock solid for a long time now.
When I start the emulation with the filedisk i get a 80000004 error. When I start with my scsi HDD I just get the little smilyface macintosh (but he looks disgruntled) that never goes away. The first time i started it today I got a floppy with a question mark in it (I think it was a floppy) and no progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Check the MMULib stuff or start without S-S and then manually Shapeshifter to see if that works.
Would it be possible to start Shapeshifter without loading all sorts of stuff in S-S? I'll give it a spin.

Last edited by Overmann; 10 September 2019 at 23:33.
Old 11 September 2019, 03:59   #5
gulliver
BoingBagged

MuMove4k is not required if you are running 3.1.4.

Maybe try disabling FullPalette in the startup-sequence where it says SYS:Prefs/FPPrefs by adding a ";" at the beginning of that line.

As an alternative try disabling programs in WBStartup.

There are no other things which can potentially cause issues.
Old 11 September 2019, 08:54   #6
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post

Maybe try disabling FullPalette in the startup-sequence where it says SYS:Prefs/FPPrefs by adding a ";" at the beginning of that line.

As an alternative try disabling programs in WBStartup.

There are no other things which can potentially cause issues.
I notice that I am also getting some graphicsl garbage when running AmiQuake and Strife. There is a garbled vertical bar slightly to the left of the image. This is also new..
Old 11 September 2019, 12:00   #7
gulliver
BoingBagged

Also have you tried with the manufacturer's libraries for your 1260 card?
Old 11 September 2019, 13:43   #8
Overmann

just deleted the PRAM file, and now everything is working. I just stubled across that as a solution to a similar problem. I still get garbled/graphics during system boot (only on RTG, not when using AGA screenmodes) but apart from that it seems to have solved t he problem.

What does the PRAM file contain that could cause this?
Old 11 September 2019, 14:35   #9
gulliver
BoingBagged

The PRAM contains all sort of hardware settings. So chances are that the hardware configuration of the original machine of the drive image was very different from your virtual machine.

For the gfx glitches try reinstalling P96, and making sure it is correctly set.
Old 11 September 2019, 15:47   #10
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
Would it be possible to start Shapeshifter without loading all sorts of stuff in S-S? I'll give it a spin.
Yes it should. Shapeshifter docs say nothing about special requirements. At least the first 8k of chipmem must be free. So you need to start a program (there exists different solutions) before Shapeshifter that does this for you. SetPatch of OS 3.1.4 does it like gulliver wrote already. I.e.: Start without S-S, enter SetPatch and then Shapeshifter. See if it works or not. Just for the record.

Last edited by daxb; 15 September 2019 at 14:46.
Old 15 September 2019, 14:09   #11
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
That's sacrilege...
Old 12 March 2021, 12:14   #12
larsih

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
When I start the emulation with the filedisk i get a 80000004 error. When I start with my scsi HDD I just get the little smilyface macintosh (but he looks disgruntled) that never goes away. The first time i started it today I got a floppy with a question mark in it (I think it was a floppy) and no progress.

I had the same problem. Shapeshifter always crashed after installing mmu lib. The problem was that the Remap8k tooltype was enabled in the Shapeshifter icon.
I have os 3.1.4 and do not use MuMove4k in the startup-sequence since this is obsolete in 3.1.4, (the Os keeps the first 16K now free)
Old 07 January 2023, 11:54   #13
jbbolcato

Nice one! Same issue with me, a3000 roms3.2.1 with BFG9060, ZZ9000, plenty of RAM.
The tool type on the Shapeshifter icon was enabled for REmap8k - disabled it and it worked straight away. Thanks for the tip!