English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 July 2022, 13:37   #21
Superman

Chase HQ would be awesome using this engine but it would take a LOT of work to accomplish.
Old 02 July 2022, 19:19   #22
khayoz

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=16427
Old 04 July 2022, 15:37   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by khayoz View Post
That is black magic.
Old 04 July 2022, 17:07   #24
LeCaravage

The engine of Vroom is far better d;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
... with update every frame/field displayed lol
I'm not sure 100% but I'd bet it's more every second frame. But 25img/s is still very good, especially for a racing game.

Last edited by LeCaravage; 04 July 2022 at 17:14.
Old 04 July 2022, 17:48   #25
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Vroom is impressive in its own way. It is very smooth but it is also quite empty, it was designed towards keeping a steady frame rate on limited hardware clearly.

What I like most about Vroom is that "cars passing by" sound. zoooooOOOOOooooooom, you know it It has a good amount of polish that make you feel like you're racing rather than making a sprite go forward.
Old 04 July 2022, 18:37   #26
LeCaravage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Vroom is impressive in its own way. It is very smooth but it is also quite empty, it was designed towards keeping a steady frame rate on limited hardware clearly.

What I like most about Vroom is that "cars passing by" sound. zoooooOOOOOooooooom, you know it It has a good amount of polish that make you feel like you're racing rather than making a sprite go forward.
For the steady frame rate, I'm almost sure the game engine uses frames skipping.

I totally agree with you the sound adds a lot to the feeling of speed in this game, the engine becomes crazy when you accelerate in a descent for instance. But not only, you almost feel the centrifugal strenght in each road curve. When you hit another car there's a basic decreasing momentum ! Crazy good game, even if I must admit I prefer Indianapolis 500 for other reasons. ;-)
Old 04 July 2022, 19:17   #27
haps
Rumpig

Vroom was great fun. OP is odd.
Old 04 July 2022, 19:45   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
OP is odd.
I like you
Old 09 July 2022, 22:49   #29
khayoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
That is black magic.
"Nah, the worst in series is Lotus 3. I should finish my Lotus 2 96k version one day that I left 50% finished back in 2005. :P
added on the 2014-10-22 17:09:14 by StingRay"
Old 11 July 2022, 04:47   #30
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCaravage View Post
The engine of Vroom is far better d;-)

I'm not sure 100% but I'd bet it's more every second frame. But 25img/s is still very good, especially for a racing game.
nah vroom is choppy as hell on the bitmap stuff, and F1 has much nicer handling for me personally.

TV's only display a full image once every 25/30fps, alternate field updates every 50/60 fps via interlace technology. But everything moves or updates on Lotus II every frame. Been playing my original disks a lot lately using the Turpentine and Deeside password built in cheats to check.

I never noticed the extra detail on the road lines for the Desert course until I played it last week. It's a phenomenal engine. Shaun Southern is one of the greatest Amiga AND ST coders ever to grace the home computer market. A true coding legend.
Old 11 July 2022, 04:51   #31
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCaravage View Post
For the steady frame rate, I'm almost sure the game engine uses frames skipping.

I totally agree with you the sound adds a lot to the feeling of speed in this game, the engine becomes crazy when you accelerate in a descent for instance. But not only, you almost feel the centrifugal strenght in each road curve. When you hit another car there's a basic decreasing momentum ! Crazy good game, even if I must admit I prefer Indianapolis 500 for other reasons. ;-)
I haven't had a chance to check out Vroom on the ST as well as Amiga but F1 on the ST employs software sample playback making it technically better sounding than the slightly faster Megadrive port. F1 on ST and Amiga on regular TV speakers is pretty much identical and a hell of a lot of fun.

Vroom has iffy handling and slightly lower framerate on my Amiga 1000 like for like setup with F1.
Old 11 July 2022, 10:37   #32
roondar

Quote:
TV's only display a full image once every 25/30fps, alternate field updates every 50/60 fps via interlace technology. But everything moves or updates on Lotus II every frame. Been playing my original disks a lot lately using the Turpentine and Deeside password built in cheats to check.
Actually, Lotus 2 updates at less than 50 frames (or fields if you like) per second.

It normally updates at 25 frames per second on PAL or less when it's busy (such as at the start, when it does a weird 25/17fps mix). You can check this by enabling the Visual DMA debugger in WinUAE and then setting the display to 1 frame per second in the display options. Because it's a 3D game though, you don't really notice this

Even the original Outrun arcade hardware only ran the game at 30FPS (Turbo Outrun and Outrun cabinets using the Turbo Outrun hardware do run at 60FPS though)
Old 11 July 2022, 11:24   #33
Daedalus

Quote:
TV's only display a full image once every 25/30fps, alternate field updates every 50/60 fps via interlace technology.
That's only the case if you use an interlace signal. For a non-interlaced signal, you get double the framerate (i.e. 50 or 60Hz) in return for half the vertical resolution (in Amiga terms that's 256 or 200 pixels). So, in the context of Amigas and most consoles of the era, they display a full image every 50th or 60th of a second, which is why the Amiga draws the screen at that rate too.