English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 May 2021, 16:28   #1
Warty

3D Printing Models for KMTech adapters?

I have a KMTech PC (analog) joystick to Amiga adapter, and just ordered a joystick/mouse switcher and a playstation controller adapter. These are all "bare": no cases.

I found a 3D model online for the PS adapter:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4331855

Has anyone run across or made 3D cases for the joystick/mouse switcher or pc joystick adapter?

KMTech's amiga stuff:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/kmtechdes...010&_bkw=amiga
Old 07 June 2021, 01:34   #2
Warty

In case anyone is ever looking in the future, I made cases for the following:
- Jim Drew's WiModem232 (with screen)
- KMTech mouse/joy switcher (electronic switching a mouse and joy, or two joys, without needing to disconnect or restart).
- KMTech PCjoy2Amiga (use gameport analog stick with your Amiga)

I'm pretty happy with the eventual results, especially considering as these are the first things I ever made with a 3D printer. They snap tight, don't jiggle (much), and protect the electronics (and my fingers, from sharp edges). They are not what I would call beautiful, but I'm limited by what TinkerCad can do (no vertices editing; wish I could afford LightWave as I'm pretty sure my fingers still remember the mouse/key combos), and even more limited by my own abilities.

I hope I get better at this though, because there were a lot of failed prototypes for each of these. I did get slightly more efficient as it went, but still painful to wait an hour or two for something to come out, then find out you got some bit wrong by a mm.

I used 3 colors from a place called PrintedSolid.com:

Jessie PLA 1.75mm X 1kg Tan 64 × 1
Jessie PLA 1.75mm X 1kg Quarter White × 1
Jessie PLA 1.75mm X 1kg Beige 500 × 1

The "Beige 500" is the middle color, and depending on which machine I put it next to, and how much retrobrighting it needs, it can be a pretty good match for Commodore colors. I also like the Tan 64 one. it's a pretty close match to the darker keys on my Amiga keyboards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cases 1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	72221   Click image for larger version

Name:	cases 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	470.0 KB
ID:	72222   Click image for larger version

Name:	case prototypes.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	72223  
Old 07 June 2021, 19:39   #3
nogginthenog
Amigan

The lettering is impressive! Must have been tricky.
Old 08 June 2021, 03:58   #4
Warty

That wasn't really bad, once I figured out the limitations of how big text had to be before it was printable. And the lesson about never trying to print any text face up or face down.

It was the other stuff about trying to measure a real object (an adapter) and then make a virtual object that would fit around it perfectly that was a right pain in the butticus Maximus. 3D printing is definitely cool, but there are a few things I just didn't anticipate, that have to be taken along in your design. And I am still a beginner, for sure: I don't really know how to diagnose gaps in printing, etc. But it's fun.
Old 08 June 2021, 20:10   #5
nogginthenog
Amigan

Do you have a set of digital calipers? They are essential for 3D printing enclosures etc.
Old 08 June 2021, 21:56   #6
Warty

no. But now that you say it, those would have come in really handy. I have been using a measuring tape

Any recommendations?