English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 March 2020, 01:33   #181
AC/DC HACKER!

You have Automount active, Boot active, and checked the Priority of the boot partition?

What File System are you using? What sizes are your partitions?
Old 14 March 2020, 17:53   #182
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

As far as I can see all DIPs are set correctly as per the manual.

The WE manual states that you should use FFS without International Mode set.

The Utility has been used to set up the SD and the Amiga 4000D can see the SD card partitions and formats them without fault.

I've gone a bit overkill on the boot sector as I've set it at 4GB - I'll lower this and give it another try tomorrow.

To try the drive I was using the Mouse option to bring up the boot menu and choosing the WE SCSI to boot from.

I've got 3.9 with BB1 and BB2 in a Kickflash to stop the double boot.
Old 14 March 2020, 19:53   #183
AC/DC HACKER!

=>4GB can cause problems. My first partition on my main SD is just under 4GB, allowing whatever FileSystem to be used. I have a lot of personal stuff there, and am moving it to other partitions, and archiving to WimUAE for archiving. That could be the problem. I don't like OS 3.9 + Boing Bags, I've noticed several bugs with it. But to each their own.

If you use PFS with OS 3.9 it would be able to be larger. It's the only FileSystem I've noticed that allows 4GB+ to be recognized at cold boot. Toni did a good job. I considered staying with FFS for a while ago since we have tools that recover and fix it. Smiling. But you probably know that if you don't have many power and resetting problems then any will be fine for a while.
Old 15 March 2020, 17:17   #184
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

[ Show youtube player ]

I set up a small boot section on the original SCSI HD and it worked.

I dropped the boot sector to 3.9GB on the SCSI2SD and now it's working.

Oh well - time to play now
Old 15 March 2020, 19:14   #185
AC/DC HACKER!

Boot sector?? You mean you resized the partition. Cool, you got it. That's most problems with not booting, even after format and installing.
Old 16 March 2020, 00:59   #186
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Yes I did mean the boot partition.

But

I've rebooted this several times all without fault.

Just about to give up playing for today and now it's lost the first partition!!

I've had enough for today. I'll have another play tomorrow.
Old 16 March 2020, 05:12   #187
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

I set up a small boot section on the original SCSI HD and it worked.

I dropped the boot sector to 3.9GB on the SCSI2SD and now it's working.

Oh well - time to play now

What do you mean you "dropped" the boot sector?? You can't "drop" a boot sector from a high place, nor can you drop a partition from some location. You have to change them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
Yes, I did mean the boot partition. But, I've rebooted this several times all without fault. Just about to give up playing for today and now it's lost the first partition!!

I've had enough for today. I'll have another play tomorrow.
Too much is missing because it was functioning from the help and now it isn't..?
Old 27 March 2020, 17:02   #188
DarrenHD

Hey Guys, so I got a SCSI2SD v6 yesterday for my A2000. It came with firmware 6.3.

I tried to get it working last night on my Blizzard 2060 with 2060scsi.device. I was able prepare partitions and they showed up on the Workbench, but when I tried to format them I got problems...the phase5 driver popped up a window with phase errors and scsireset errors.

I tried all sorts of configurations. A-Sync 5MB, no limit safe, 10MB Sync, etc, but nothing so far has worked.

I have on the SCSI chain the blizzard 2060, an ACARD w/IDE drive (terminated at end of chain), and the SCSI2SD in the middle. Terminator is off on the SCSI2SD. I tried using SFS and FFS, same errors.

I am able to set synchronous 10MB/sec mode on the controller using myunitcontrol. The ACARD/IDE drive gets 7MB/sec in Sysinfo when I set it to synchronous. If set to ASync I get just over 4MB/sec. So I know myunitcontrol is working when I set it to synchronous. I can notice the faster icon loading etc. Setting SCSI2SD to Sync 10 doesn't work though , nor does ASync.

The only issue may be is that I have only tried so far 3 rather old 2GB SD cards. All the cards work fine on Windows and were formatted in FAT file system.

Has anyone got this working on a Blizzard 2060 or have any other tips?

I thought this would be relatively straight forward, since I have a newer firmware and rather simple SCSI setup....but no...I tried for hours last night with no luck.
Old 27 March 2020, 19:45   #189
AC/DC HACKER!

Greetings DarrenHD,

Luck doesn't exist in either direction...so I wouldn't hope for it. I saw that Phrase 5 error before. If I remember correctly, I had to change the MaxTransfer in RDB File System. I use PFS 3 All In One..regular, not custom. I'm only using the terminator within SCSI2SD V6 on my CSPPC-SCSI port, it also works disabled and terminators around it. So I decided, "Meehh.." I'd leave it at the end and enable within.

Check the 2 included images. Anything you were missing?

I have SCSI2SD set with Parity, Sync 10, and set has a Hard Drive (Removable causes problems with OS 4).

I was stoked when I got mine, a while back, and though it would be a simple thing also. I had to reset the Firmware using a paperclip so I could update it. Now, at least here, so far 0 problems after several beta checks. I was checking a lot of stuff also. Anyway, check the images..see if you missed anything. I don't use any problems (like MyUnitControl).

Since the SD Cards are functioning with Windows, I don't see a problem..with the SCSI2SD V6, hmm.. If you use PFS the partition sizes won't matter unless you come across errors later from power failure or..possible WHDLoad writing when exiting, and that I've read very few cases of. I think that's more user error, and Transfer setting for File System. I've done a lot of loading and exiting and checks with PFS Doctor and so far..all is good. Doesn't mean 100% conclusive.

It doesn't matter if formatted with FAT (Fart...haha) or NTFS or by a Mac.. SCSI2SD Utility overwrites...and modifying the RDB and formatting also doesn't care. Only thing that stops it is if the SD Card goes into Lock mode because of sensed damage. Making it read only. I've encountered that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File System IDs.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	66610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Partition Data.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	66611  
Old 27 March 2020, 21:26   #190
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Greetings DarrenHD,

Luck doesn't exist in either direction...so I wouldn't hope for it. I saw that Phrase 5 error before. If I remember correctly, I had to change the MaxTransfer in RDB File System. I use PFS 3 All In One..regular, not custom. I'm only using the terminator within SCSI2SD V6 on my CSPPC-SCSI port, it also works disabled and terminators around it. So I decided, "Meehh.." I'd leave it at the end and enable within.

Check the 2 included images. Anything you were missing?

I have SCSI2SD set with Parity, Sync 10, and set has a Hard Drive (Removable causes problems with OS 4).

I was stoked when I got mine, a while back, and though it would be a simple thing also. I had to reset the Firmware using a paperclip so I could update it. Now, at least here, so far 0 problems after several beta checks. I was checking a lot of stuff also. Anyway, check the images..see if you missed anything. I don't use any problems (like MyUnitControl).

Since the SD Cards are functioning with Windows, I don't see a problem..with the SCSI2SD V6, hmm.. If you use PFS the partition sizes won't matter unless you come across errors later from power failure or..possible WHDLoad writing when exiting, and that I've read very few cases of. I think that's more user error, and Transfer setting for File System. I've done a lot of loading and exiting and checks with PFS Doctor and so far..all is good. Doesn't mean 100% conclusive.

It doesn't matter if formatted with FAT (Fart...haha) or NTFS or by a Mac.. SCSI2SD Utility overwrites...and modifying the RDB and formatting also doesn't care. Only thing that stops it is if the SD Card goes into Lock mode because of sensed damage. Making it read only. I've encountered that.
Thanks, what are you Max transfer setttings for your SFS partition? I am using SFS? I don't have parity turned on.

Update: got it working now with "No Limit (safe)" setting on the SCSI2SD software. It's only getting 2.1 to 2.2 MB/sec in Sysinfo. I'll try to go to ASync and Sync modes to see if I can get it faster....at least I was able to format a partition now! I also got a 128GB MicroSD card and SD Adapter, so speed on that card should not be an issue. The card itself can do 100MB/sec reads.

Darren

Last edited by DarrenHD; 27 March 2020 at 23:39.
Old 27 March 2020, 23:41   #191
AC/DC HACKER!

You're welcome. SFS/00..I'm using same MaxTransfer as PFS. I'll re-read your post again soon...see if I clue in to anything else.
Old 28 March 2020, 00:56   #192
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
You're welcome. SFS/00..I'm using same MaxTransfer as PFS. I'll re-read your post again soon...see if I clue in to anything else.
Thanks. Ok it's still working, but when I boot the A2000 the scsi2sd device comes up in Async mode. I have selected Sync, 10MB/sec and Enabled SCSI2 mode in the utility...saved it to the device (see screenshot), but I'm only getting just over 2MB/sec...

And when I boot the A2000, the device is ASync according to unitcontrol.

I tried the RDBFlags util from Aminet to set the Synchronous flag in the RDB for that unit. It says Synchronous is "yes". I tried also "myunitcontrol" util from Aminet to set it to synchronous. It doesn't complain, but it doesn't go into synchronous mode.

Weird, because with the ACARD/IDE drive I can turn on and off sychronous mode and the setting sticks. No issues. The ACARD/IDE is getting nearly 7MB/sec. which I was hoping to get out of the SCSI2SD.... Anyway, this is just a test, as the SCSI2SD will go into my A3000 once it comes back for repair. I read/saw that people get about 3.7MB/sec on the A3000 SCSI controller.

Any other tips?

Last edited by DarrenHD; 09 August 2020 at 06:24.
Old 28 March 2020, 05:36   #193
DarrenHD

OK another update...gave up on the SCSI2SD in the A2000. Got inconsistent results...worked sometimes, othertimes not. Double checked Blizzard jumpers, ACARD jumpers....all is good. The SCSI2SD is finnicky....not quite ready for prime time, at least in the A2000 with the Blizzard 2060. Not going to settle for 2.2MB/sec when my ACARD can pull 7MB/sec with an old crappy 2GB IDE drive. Even at 2.2MB/sec it froze sometimes during file copies. I was using a brand new 128GB SDcard that can do 100MB/sec reads.

This was/is destined for my A3000 anyway which is on the compatibility list for the SCSI2SD.
Old 03 April 2020, 00:48   #194
quantum8

What's the best way to test that my v6 is working properly on my A3000 using the onboard SCSI? I'm trying to test data integrity and speed. It's running firmware 6.3.

The mainboard doesn't have terminators installed, I've got an active term installed on the external connector and termination is active on the scsi2sd util tool.

The A3000 scsi prefs is set to sync mode on.

The util also has these items set:
sync 10mb/s, enable parity, unit attention, scsi2 mode, respond to short selection pulses.

Device 1 is set to hard drive type and 10gb size. First partition is 1gb FFS, the rest is PFS3.

I'm running 3.1.4.1, and have 16gb ZIP memory (tested for a few hours and came up OK), as well as an A3640 rev 3.2 installed. No other cards installed.

SysSpeed and SysInfo give me around 1.6meg speed.

I sometimes get checksum errors on the boot drive, but that could be certain older whdload games as when I do a cold boot the drive comes back with no errors when running disksalv.
Old 03 April 2020, 00:59   #195
pipper

Download “scsiprefs” or “scsiprefsmui” from Aminet and enable synchronous mode on the controller with it. Requires your battery to work, otherwise the setting is lost the next time you turn off the machine.
Old 03 April 2020, 06:13   #196
dalek

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum8 View Post
The mainboard doesn't have terminators installed, I've got an active term installed on the external connector and termination is active on the scsi2sd util tool.

You've got double termination. Either remove the external terminator if you don't have any external devices or keep it and disable termination on the SCSI2SD.

On my 3000 with SCSI2SD V6 only, I get ~2.5MB/s when async, and ~3.6MB/s sync. Tested with RSCP (latest from aminet).

Oh, and maybe set speed to auto in the SCSI2SD. 10Mb/s is for SCSI 2
Old 03 April 2020, 06:24   #197
quantum8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
Download “scsiprefs” or “scsiprefsmui” from Aminet and enable synchronous mode on the controller with it. Requires your battery to work, otherwise the setting is lost the next time you turn off the machine.

I already have enabled synchronous using scsiprefs, and it stays enabled after a cold boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
You've got double termination. Either remove the external terminator if you don't have any external devices or keep it and disable termination on the SCSI2SD.

On my 3000 with SCSI2SD V6 only, I get ~2.5MB/s when async, and ~3.6MB/s sync. Tested with RSCP (latest from aminet).

Oh, and maybe set speed to auto in the SCSI2SD. 10Mb/s is for SCSI 2

I was under the impression that the external and internal bus is electrically the same bus. There's no resistor packs nearby the board's SCSI connector so I assume that means if I unplug the external connector then I only have one end terminated (at the SCSI2SD)?

Also, isn't it a bad idea to mix active termination with passive termination?
Old 03 April 2020, 07:39   #198
pipper

I agree, no double termination. If the internal termination resistors are not on the main board, one needs to terminate via the external connector - the SCSI2SD (termination enabled) being connected to the internal connector acting as the other end of the scsi bus.
Old 11 May 2020, 02:21   #199
Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaura View Post
I installed 6.3.0 today and it is working fine for me too. I was even able to install the firmware using the Windows tool for the first time now that it is using a different driver (I was having to do it via VirtualBox/Ubuntu before).
Looks like there's a new version of the FW, v 6.3.1, and looks also like there's a new, improved version of the card, v2020c, and the corresponding FW for it. According to the text file, new version has improved power handling and USB.

Will try the new FW version for my now old rev. F card ASAP, as soon as tomorrow, if I find the time.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Old 11 May 2020, 05:15   #200
AC/DC HACKER!

Hmm...I'd like to know more about the changes. BUT..I think I'll stay with where mine is. It's doing grrrrrrreat! Mine was ~100 USD..I'm not considering a new version any time soon. Unless some specifically sweet changes...and it's a lot faster. Or...something. Perhaps even wide range of SD Cards.

However, I'm very curious who else - such as you Ferry, this helps.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 11 May 2020 at 05:27.