English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 January 2022, 10:33   #1
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

WinUAE debugger question

Quick question. When you're stepping through code in the debugger using F11/F12 it doesn't seem to update the main WinUAE display? Is it meant to work like this? I was hoping to see the image updated as I stepped through the code.
Old 14 January 2022, 12:17   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

That sounds like you're using the GUI-debugger which is outdated and not supported anymore.
Old 14 January 2022, 12:27   #3
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
That sounds like you're using the GUI-debugger which is outdated and not supported anymore.
Yes I'm using the GUI version. So I should use the command line version instead? Not sure how to step through on that one.

Last edited by Steve; 14 January 2022 at 12:54.
Old 14 January 2022, 13:40   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Double buffering adds one frame of delay but even if it is bypassed when debugger is active, you still won't get immediate results:

Virtual electron beam is almost surely located many scanlines from location you modified. Unless you race the beam with CPU for some strange reason
Old 14 January 2022, 15:43   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Not sure how to step through on that one.

"t" to single step and also enter function calls, "z" to single step without entering function calls. You can use "?" to display a help with the available debugger commands.
Old 14 January 2022, 17:00   #6
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Double buffering adds one frame of delay but even if it is bypassed when debugger is active, you still won't get immediate results:

Virtual electron beam is almost surely located many scanlines from location you modified. Unless you race the beam with CPU for some strange reason
Haha. I'm not sure how to race the beam. lol. Just trying to solve an issue I have with one of my HDFs.

Quote:
"t" to single step and also enter function calls, "z" to single step without entering function calls. You can use "?" to display a help with the available debugger commands.
Thanks that helped. I'll have to do more digging with my issue. Getting infinite exceptions. lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swos_error.png
Views:	65
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	74398  
Old 15 January 2022, 18:19   #7
Mclane
Old retro god.

Might be worth mentioning the problem you are having and maybe adding logs for when it's doing it..

I'm not saying Toni will look at it as he's having fun with the current beta at this moment but there's some very advanced users on here (not me) who may be able to offer help.
Old 15 January 2022, 18:38   #8
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Haha. I'm not sure how to race the beam. lol. Just trying to solve an issue I have with one of my HDFs.

Thanks that helped. I'll have to do more digging with my issue. Getting infinite exceptions. lol.

Those are level 1, 2 and 3 interrupts, so not too unexpected. You'll see that if you e.g. try to 'z' past a branch that's always taken. 'z' just sets a breakpoint on the following instruction (even if it doesn't make sense, e.g. for RTS), so if that's never hit it'll just keep printing whatever exceptions occur. Press shift+f12 and try again