English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 February 2020, 22:02   #1
Overmann

Amiga 3000 not booting after A3660

Hi there,

I'm afraid I might have screwed up my A3000 somehow

I bought it about a year ago, had a full professional workover done on it and recently bought an A3660 that was newly built and tested. I got it today, set all the jumpers on the motherboard and tripplechecked them, installed the A3660 and booted. It went to kickstart-screen (3.1.4). I assumed that my SCSI wasn't working anymore, so I turned the machine off, took out the SCSI-disk, installed my Buddha IDE (which has the same HD on a CF) and booted again. Nothing, just black screen. I turned the machine off and checked if everything was seated. Tried again, black screen. I then removed all the cards and just tried with the A3660 and floppy drive, black screen and solid yellow HDD led.

Now I was getting really worried so I turned the machine off and set everything back to stock and took the A3660 out. Now booting gives me the same black screen and the solid yellow LED.

I took the motherboard out and inspected for burnt traces, none to be found. I then checked the PSU which tested surprisingly well 11.95 and 4.95 and 5.19 (-+).

I'm now kind of depressed. I love this machine and it was working so perfectly. I spent a lot of time and money getting it to this point and now I don't know what to do
Old 21 February 2020, 22:19   #2
trixster
Guru Meditating

Tried reseating any socketed chips? Tried removing and reinserting the daughterboard?
Old 21 February 2020, 22:20   #3
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Tried reseating any socketed chips? Tried removing and reinserting the daughterboard?

Yes to both.
Old 21 February 2020, 22:28   #4
trixster
Guru Meditating

You have other kickstart roms to try?
Old 21 February 2020, 22:32   #5
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
You have other kickstart roms to try?

I didn't think of that. I still have the original 1.4 roms. I'll give them a spin.

EDIT:
Now i get a black screen with dim green led active, no yellow led and no disk activity.
I've reverted back to 3.1.4 roms. Dim green, then bright green, then yellow HD led comes on and they both stay on. No light from the floppy drive and no ticking. What does it mean when both LED are on?

Last edited by Overmann; 21 February 2020 at 23:44.
Old 22 February 2020, 00:20   #6
r.cade

Sounds like it's locking up trying to access SCSI. I assume you don't have anything plugged into SCSI at all? Are the termination resistors on the motherboard? Plug your hard drive(s) back in as they were, carefully.

If you got a bad 3660 that shorted out some bus signals, it will be a bad day for you unfortunately. I would be angry with the seller. That may not get you far, though, since they will just say you installed it wrong and broke it.

Last edited by r.cade; 22 February 2020 at 00:26.
Old 22 February 2020, 00:29   #7
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
Hi there,

I'm afraid I might have screwed up my A3000 somehow

I bought it about a year ago, had a full professional workover done on it and recently bought an A3660 that was newly built and tested. I got it today, set all the jumpers on the motherboard and tripplechecked them, installed the A3660 and booted. It went to kickstart-screen (3.1.4). I assumed that my SCSI wasn't working anymore, so I turned the machine off, took out the SCSI-disk, installed my Buddha IDE (which has the same HD on a CF) and booted again. Nothing, just black screen. I turned the machine off and checked if everything was seated. Tried again, black screen. I then removed all the cards and just tried with the A3660 and floppy drive, black screen and solid yellow HDD led.

Now I was getting really worried so I turned the machine off and set everything back to stock and took the A3660 out. Now booting gives me the same black screen and the solid yellow LED.

I took the motherboard out and inspected for burnt traces, none to be found. I then checked the PSU which tested surprisingly well 11.95 and 4.95 and 5.19 (-+).

I'm now kind of depressed. I love this machine and it was working so perfectly. I spent a lot of time and money getting it to this point and now I don't know what to do
Black screen usually means dead/no cpu responding. Try pressing Caps lock, if it goes solid after 5 presses then it is CPU not responding. Not sure about the HDD LED being on solid. You could try the Amiga Diag Rom, http://www.diagrom.com, it may shed some light.

But yes strip down the machine to only the 030, check jumpers, check socketed chips, anything possibly shorting, even remove scsi cable from motherboard to see if you get back to the Kickstart screen. You could also try putting back in your 3.1 ROMS see if it helps, after you've done all that.

Darren
Old 22 February 2020, 02:21   #8
Overmann

Well, I'll be damned. Plugged the internal scsi back in and now it boots to kickstart. Plugged an external cdrom in and now it boots to the internal scsi. Turned myy machine off , unplugged the external scsi and now it still boots to the internal drive.

Redid all the jumpermods and reinstalled the A3660 and made sure to have the external cdrom hooked up and it booted right to workbench. Damnit, my afternoon has been a nightmare! And to think it was a scsi-thing!?

Thank you guys for helping me! Man these forums and you guys are a treasure!
Old 22 February 2020, 04:56   #9
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
Well, I'll be damned. Plugged the internal scsi back in and now it boots to kickstart. Plugged an external cdrom in and now it boots to the internal scsi. Turned myy machine off , unplugged the external scsi and now it still boots to the internal drive.

Redid all the jumpermods and reinstalled the A3660 and made sure to have the external cdrom hooked up and it booted right to workbench. Damnit, my afternoon has been a nightmare! And to think it was a scsi-thing!?

Thank you guys for helping me! Man these forums and you guys are a treasure!
That is great the 3000 is working I just picked one up off eBay this week, hope to get it soon....I will have to remove the battery as it has started to leak, but the damage doesn't look too bad at all, machine still boots! I will post some pix once I get it!

Darren
Old 22 February 2020, 17:54   #10
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
That is great the 3000 is working I just picked one up off eBay this week, hope to get it soon....I will have to remove the battery as it has started to leak, but the damage doesn't look too bad at all, machine still boots! I will post some pix once I get it!

Darren

Oh yeah! Nice! Make sure you post those pictures! The A3000 is a fantastic machine (my favourite alongside the A1000), which is part of the reson why I got so stressed out when I thought I'd killed it :P
Old 26 February 2020, 18:01   #11
johnnybarker

Just to let you know that I had issues with my DMAC with an a3660. Initially the scsi would not work after installing the card so I installed another DMAC-02 I got from Tbtorro. It worked brilliantly but it would occasionally crash in the manner you described after the machine had been on for a while. It would start working again once it cooled down. Eventually it crashed one too many times and the I found the DMAC was goosed.
Thankfully I bought two of them at the time so fitted the other one and away it went again. I fitted a heat sink to the the second chip and have never had problems since. I would definitely recommend sticking a heat sink on a the a3660 card seems to put the DMAC under a lot off stress.