English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 March 2023, 12:21   #1
Korban

Anyone Tried To Run Win95 In DOSBox On A PiStorm Equipped Amiga?

Just curious what sort of speeds it gives.
DOSBox isn't as fast as either PCX or PC-Task, but it offers gfx hardware options that Win95 has drivers for.
Would be interesting to see what sorts of games could be run at a playable speed.
Ditto for DOS games, but Win95 offers more options.
Old 07 March 2023, 14:08   #2
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I fail to see why?!

Why would you even try to run Win95 on Amiga in DOSBox? Just look at PC version of DOSBox, where Win95 does not run as good as in PCem or WinBox and it was more 'proof of concept' then intended emulator for Win95 or for that matter, not even for Win3.11.
Old 07 March 2023, 14:17   #3
Korban

Win95 runs perfectly fine in DOSBox and its actually faster than PCem or WinBox.
I use it under AROS DOSBox a lot.
As for why, because neither PCem, nor WinBox exist for AmigaOS, and DOSBox has the best compatibility for PC emulators for AmigaOS3.x.

Also, why not? There's this thing called "fun" that people like to embrace. For some it encompasses doing things others don't see a point to, but the reality is there's no guidelines to what it constitutes and its up to an individual to decide what quantifies it.
Old 07 March 2023, 15:17   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

If it truly is fun for you, you would be trying it out though rather than asking others for their experiences. You're sending out mixed signals here that can easily be read as trying to use the wrong tool for the job. Especially to a PCem fanboy such as our local Egyptian deity.

Assume good faith, please.
Old 07 March 2023, 15:35   #5
Retro1234
Phone Homer

If you have a PiStorm or similar seems like the obvious thing to do is push it to the limits.
Old 07 March 2023, 15:54   #6
shelter

Yeah and maybe he doesn't have a Pistorm and can try..
Old 07 March 2023, 18:44   #7
Korban

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
If it truly is fun for you, you would be trying it out though rather than asking others for their experiences. You're sending out mixed signals here that can easily be read as trying to use the wrong tool for the job.....
Weird summation.

How is it not obvious that I don't have one?
If I did I would be trying it myself and not asking others for their experiences.

I also elaborated as to why its the best tool for the job.
Old 07 March 2023, 19:00   #8
Megalomaniac

I did try Windows 95 in DOSBox once and it failed to install, is that because I was using an OEM copy rather than the full official release? I've still got a few old Win95 games that I'd like to relive if I ever get time.
Old 07 March 2023, 19:06   #9
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban View Post
Weird summation.

How is it not obvious that I don't have one?
If I did I would be trying it myself and not asking others for their experiences.

I also elaborated as to why its the best tool for the job.
Last time that I've tried running Windows 95 on DOSBox JIT (For AmigaOS 4), it gave me some errors and refused to work, because of incompatible GFX driver or similar. I can try again, if you provide a ready made hd image for DOSBox and record the output. DOSBox for 68K is not JIT, so I guess it will be slower. The game that I use for testing DOSBox speed is usually Tomb Raider. On AmigaOne X1000 it is playable, even better on AmigaOne X5000. On my PowerBook 1 GHz, not so much. Also a new tool that reports the speed of DOSBox is HWInfo for DOS (with latest version from 2022).
Here it is on AmigaOne X1000:

[ Show youtube player ]

Windows 3.11 works okay on DOSBox JIT:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 March 2023, 19:15   #10
Korban

If memory serves correctly it needs cpu_type to be set to "pentium_fastest" (this is off the top of my head, but the setting is something like that).
Without it there's issues when trying to install gfx drivers.
Not sure why. Perhaps it also enables some sort of i/o bus emulation not used with other "cpu_type" settings..

Last edited by Korban; 07 March 2023 at 19:21.
Old 07 March 2023, 22:47   #11
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
Here it is on AmigaOne X1000:
Windows 3.11 works okay on DOSBox JIT:
you run only a benchmark. games or application how it run?

in my opinion, 68k solution, like Pistorm32, Vampire and Warp1260@100 have not enogh power to run games or big applications with Amiga DOSBox.
X1000 and X5000 are PowerPC and PowerPC DOSBox version is much faster than 68k version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
If you have a PiStorm or similar seems like the obvious thing to do is push it to the limits.
Pistorm emulate Amiga as WinUAE. You can try yourself how, more or less, run DosBox on Amiga with WinUAE. Considering that Pistorm32 is slower than WinUAE you could have an idea.

Last edited by Seiya; 07 March 2023 at 22:53.
Old 07 March 2023, 23:18   #12
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
you run only a benchmark. games or application how it run?
Games made until 1997-1998 are very playable on DOSBox JIT on PPC. As I said, I used to run Tomb Raider for benchmarking. Here it is on X1000:

[ Show youtube player ]

Also another benchmark tool - PC Player 3d Benchmark

[ Show youtube player ]

Both of these are with the PPC -> X86 JIT that was borrowed from the Apple Macintosh PPC port of FireFox - TenFourFox. It speeds the emulator a lot.

Quote:
in my opinion, 68k solution, like Pistorm32, Vampire and Warp1260@100 have not enough power to run games or big applications with Amiga DOSBox.
X1000 and X5000 are PowerPC and PowerPC DOSBox version is much faster than 68k version.

Pistorm emulate Amiga as WinUAE. You can try yourself how, more or less, run DosBox on Amiga with WinUAE. Considering that Pistorm32 is slower than WinUAE you could have an idea.
68060 is okay for some old PC games, may be up to 1992. I don't know if 68K->X86 JIT compiler is available or possible at all, but if you want to use the PiStorm32 for emulating PC, why not just make the PiStorm emulate the X86 instructions directly and skip the 68K->X86 translation? Of course someone has to write the software to utilize this, and I am not going to do it, since I don't do much coding recently.
Old 08 March 2023, 19:54   #13
Seiya

Dosbox PPC is very good for 1997/8 games. I suspect that DOSbox 68k also in emulation with jit is slower than your X1000 performances.
Old 08 March 2023, 20:23   #14
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Win95 runs perfectly fine in DOSBox and its actually faster than PCem or WinBox.
Come on, be serious. PCem and WinBOX are PC emulators, where DOSBOx is your OS emulator. DOSBox will work as fast as your computer will allow it with MAX cycles, or you have to limit cycles to suit your needs. That is different then real PC emulators that emulates proper CPU of machine and limits its speed to correct value. Both of those require more power than DOSBox to run properly, but benefit is better compatibility. You can install even Voodoo 3D card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
I did try Windows 95 in DOSBox once and it failed to install, is that because I was using an OEM copy rather than the full official release? I've still got a few old Win95 games that I'd like to relive if I ever get time.
I would suggest to try PCem and WinBOX. First one did not see updates in a while, since original author abandoned project and new author(s) did not finish single update since then, while second is regularly updated and works just as well, if not better now.

https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/
https://github.com/86Box/WinBox-for-86Box

I used both of them to emulate DOS6.22, Win3.11, Win95 and WIn98. I was able to run all games including original Warcraft and Warcraft 2, Earthsiege and AOE, just to prove it works.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 March 2023, 10:57   #15
Korban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Come on, be serious. PCem and WinBOX are PC emulators, where DOSBOx is your OS emulator. DOSBox will work as fast as your computer will allow it with MAX cycles, or you have to limit cycles to suit your needs. That is different then real PC emulators that emulates proper CPU of machine and limits its speed to correct value. Both of those require more power than DOSBox to run properly, but benefit is better compatibility. You can install even Voodoo 3D card.
None of which changes the fact that DOSBox will run Win95 fine.

And Win95 on AmigaOS/PiStorm is the topic at hand, which makes PCem and WinBOX completely irrelevant to the discussion.
Old 09 March 2023, 18:43   #16
Anubis
Retro Gamer

So you believe that PIStorm can run it 'fine' on A500??

Your 'fine' and mine 'fine' seems to be quite different things...

We are in retro gaming subforum, pcEM and WinBox are both emulators with main purpose in retro gaming... You never know, someone might create WB 3.X version of each.

Don't get me wrong, I love emulation, over ~20 years ago I even wrote DOSbox tutorial for Abandonia, I might be interesting just to prove something works which is OK, but to think that it can be useful (to run games for example) in Win95... well that will be just lots of time lost in experimenting. Perhaps it is your destiny to prove me wrong, and get PIStorm?!
Old 09 March 2023, 21:13   #17
fryguy

I tried Win 3.11 and Doom on PC-task on my A1200 with Pistorm.

Win 3.11 was totally unusable, Doom was playable in low detail graphics mode.
Gonna try Dosbox later.
Old 10 March 2023, 02:42   #18
Korban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
So you believe that PIStorm can run it 'fine' on A500??

Your 'fine' and mine 'fine' seems to be quite different things...

We are in retro gaming subforum, pcEM and WinBox are both emulators with main purpose in retro gaming... You never know, someone might create WB 3.X version of each.

Don't get me wrong, I love emulation, over ~20 years ago I even wrote DOSbox tutorial for Abandonia, I might be interesting just to prove something works which is OK, but to think that it can be useful (to run games for example) in Win95... well that will be just lots of time lost in experimenting. Perhaps it is your destiny to prove me wrong, and get PIStorm?!
There's something seriously wrong with you.

I wanted to know if anyone has tried specific software on specific hardware. Nothing more, nothing less. This is why I started a thread asking exactly that.

How is this difficult to understand?

You've responded with nothing but off topic comments, changed the goalposts (ie. I never said it can run "fine" on pistorm on n a500... I was *asking* if anyone has tried it, ergo how would I even know? I was saying DOSBox itself can run Win95 fine), and you even went on to ramble some narcissistic garbage about it perhaps being my destiny to prove you wrong.
Sorry to break it to you chuckles, but I just dont care that much about your opinion.
Old 10 March 2023, 09:58   #19
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
You should have stopped and went to get an ice cream the moment you decided it was okay to write that.
Old 10 March 2023, 14:50   #20
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:

Sure, coming from someone asking if they run Win95 on A500 with PI-storm.

If you really cared, you could test it in WinUAE and start with - it works in WinUAE...

You asked question, I said that I don't see point and then you started on how great it works on DOSBox, which is almost true if you exclude all crashes and inability to run protected apps in windows even on fastest computers. Not to mention missing DirectX and stuff.

DOSBox on WB3.x is not even close to DOSBOx on windows, but you already knew that.

And as far as something being wrong with me, usually with something like this interesting I would go to length to test it, see if it works... but with this attitude... good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
I tried Win 3.11 and Doom on PC-task on my A1200 with Pistorm.

Win 3.11 was totally unusable, Doom was playable in low detail graphics mode.
Gonna try Dosbox later.
Did you get PIStorm32? (or how did you make regular one work with A1200?!)

Last edited by Anubis; 10 March 2023 at 20:59.