English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 September 2004, 14:38   #1
Hillsy_

First game you bought for your Amiga?

Hiya all,
I would like to ask what was the first game you ever bought for your Amiga. Me, I actually upgraded from the AtariST to the Amiga. I always remember going into Microbyte computer shop and having to go upstairs to the AtariST section, the Amiga was downstairs and was considered the best machine. Then Later, once I got my Amiga I felt like..on top of the world..even though I was downstairs!!

The first game I bought for my Amiga was 'X-Out', I remember it well because it came with a fold-out poster. At the time I thought...Wow!! A cool poster!! The ship flying into the mouth of the Alien. I remember talking to my friends about it saying....Yes, I bought X-Out...and they would reply..you mean cross-out..and I would say nooooo....X-OUT. Funny arguments!!

So many fond memories,

What was your first game you bought for the Amiga? Oh...X-Out cost me GBP19.99

- Hillsy.

PS: For the curious of you...my first AtariST game was called 'Goldrunner'.
Old 03 September 2004, 14:44   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

My (two ) first was:

Centurion
Pinball Dreams
Old 03 September 2004, 14:50   #3
Graham Humphrey

Well, since I got an A500+ (with the Cartoon Classics pack) in Nov '91 for my 5th birthday, I'm struggling to remember what was the first game I bought (or was bought for me) after that. It might have been Rainbow Islands, or Cloud Kingdoms (anyone remember that one?).
Old 03 September 2004, 14:59   #4
Galaxy

I got an Amiga 500 Starter Pack in 1990. It came with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; F/A-18 Interceptor; Fusion Paint and Kindwords 2.0.

The first game that I bought was Oxxonian (for A$20, which was quite cheap for a game at the time - new games cost about A$60).
Old 03 September 2004, 15:00   #5
Magix
calm down do how.

Send a message via ICQ to Magix
Battle Squadron. What a cool game.
Old 03 September 2004, 15:00   #6
Hillsy_

Two games???? You cheeky... I remember Centurion: Defender of Rome. I bought this game and my brother wanted a go. So I thought...yeah, ok!! We like to share games!! But..two days later he finished it....I thought...but...but I bought that game you cannot do that!! He said I was rubbish at the game, but it wasn't that... I just spent most of my time racing around the track with the chariots ....I totally forgot about actually trying to win the game!!

- Hillsy.

PS: Battle Squadron cool game!! Rainbow Islands cool too!!
Old 03 September 2004, 15:21   #7
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

I think mine was Elite, but I reserve the right to change that when my memory improves. What a game it was
Old 03 September 2004, 15:30   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Oh yeah, and a funny thing with Centurion in those days...

I remember i never knew how to move my units to ship - there wasn't an option in the Army/Land menu and i couldn't win the game without beatin' The Brits and that small island on south of Rome (sorry don't remember the name...).
Then i had a dream... a dream when i click the right mouse button and put my units to the boat...
When i woke up, first thing i try... and it works!!! WOW, what a dream that was

PS: Battle Squadron WHDLoad VERY, VERY COOL GAME
Old 03 September 2004, 15:36   #9
Peanutuk

Kick Off 2 was the first game I bought. I was given the Screen Gems A500 pack which didn't exactly have a bundle of classics. However my first actual purchase more than made it up in terms of quality.

However the very first game I remember playing was Hero Quest. I had a small pile of demo disks I had acquired from magaizines before I got the A500 and I think that was the first thing I booted. Bless.
Old 03 September 2004, 15:40   #10
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Alien 3. I hadn't read any reviews, had never seen the game...just wandered into the computer store, and *needed* to buy something - you ever get that feeling? The pics on the box looked nice, and I bought it for $50 AU. And I didn't regret it, because I enjoyed it. The timer frustrated me though. Still haven't completed it.
Old 03 September 2004, 15:42   #11
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat
Alien 3. I hadn't read any reviews, had never seen the game...just wandered into the computer store, and *needed* to buy something - you ever get that feeling? The pics on the box looked nice, and I bought it for $50 AU. And I didn't regret it, because I enjoyed it. The timer frustrated me though. Still haven't completed it.
... and to the one who finishes it, it's: double
Old 03 September 2004, 15:58   #12
Hillsy_

If you like Alien 3, PLEASE play the Snes version. A wonderful game you will enjoy. I actually finished the Snes version without continuing. The Amiga version I found hard, but I think it was more due to the controls, alittle fiddly. Once you get to about Stage 4 or 5 on the Snes version the action really heats up!! I didn't finish the Amiga version.

@shoonay, don't talk about Dreams too much, I might start talking about my Pinball Dreams memories!!

Fab games,

- Hillsy.

PS: I felt the Amiga version of Alien 3 was alittle disappointing.
Old 03 September 2004, 16:00   #13
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
When my parents gave me my first Amiga as a present, they also bought me Lemmings. Actually, only because they liked the cover picture.
Old 03 September 2004, 16:06   #14
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_
If you like Alien 3, PLEASE play the Snes version. A wonderful game you will enjoy. I actually finished the Snes version without continuing. The Amiga version I found hard, but I think it was more due to the controls, alittle fiddly. Once you get to about Stage 4 or 5 on the Snes version the action really heats up!! I didn't finish the Amiga version.
Sure i have the SNES version, but never played it for real... is there a cheat code?
Old 03 September 2004, 16:19   #15
Amiga1992

When given to me as a chrimbo present, my uncle bought Wing Commander for my new A600.

The first game -I- bought, I think was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, in a french game shop in Paris.
Old 03 September 2004, 16:24   #16
Hillsy_

Is there a cheat code??? You cheeky....

Oh...Yes, there is a cheat code - enter 'Shoonay' at the menu and wait....

suddenly from out of the screen an alien grabs you and pulls you into the game........Shoonay becomes an alien, like his avatar

Then...a few minutes later...Hillsy comes to play Alien 3...

Flame Thrower ready, Now where's Shoonay that cheating.....!*(&*^&&@!

Take it easy,
- Hillsy
Old 03 September 2004, 16:26   #17
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_
Is there a cheat code??? You cheeky....

Oh...Yes, there is a cheat code - enter 'Shoonay' at the menu and wait....

suddenly from out of the screen an alien grabs you and pulls you into the game........Shoonay becomes an alien, like his avatar

Then...a few minutes later...Hillsy comes to play Alien 3...

Flame Thrower ready, Now where's Shoonay that cheating.....!*(&*^&&@!

Take it easy,
- Hillsy
ROTFLOL, That's a nice one mate
Old 03 September 2004, 17:16   #18
Hillsy_

Glad you liked it Shoonay!!

Ah! Elite...I first played this on the AtariST. Later, I played it on the Amiga. The Amiga version was faster...no slowdown. It's funny...I remember getting my ranking high on Elite..thinking, I am indestructable...I thought I'll go to an Anarchy planet...have some fun. Anyway upon going I got an alert....6 ships!!! I thought...this is going to be fun. Anyway, I Pressed 'I' on the keyboard to ID the ships....checking...Thargoid, WolfMkII, Thargoid, Krait, Thargoid, Mamba....I thought....Oh !$#$%*&@ I'm in trouble!! Ok..I thought....Missile lock the Mamba & WolfMkII....fire...fire...Ok, should be able to take out one Thargoid with the Military laser. Meanwhile...getting shot by the other Thargoids...the Mamba & WolfMkII out manoeuvre the missile. I forgot the Wolf had an ECM System...but it kept him busy for awhile. The Mamba must have been lucky, he escaped the missile. All Ships except one were attacking me now, my lasers overheating... I decided to use an Energy Bomb....FIRE!! Polygons flying everywhere...Oh so the Amiga version does slowdown Continuing....the mamba shatters into pieces along with one Thargoid & the Krait. I thought, this is a better fight...only the Thargoid and WolfMkII left. I saw the Thargoid come into my view...I lock a missile and fire...hoping to keep him busy while I track the WolfMkII down...and their he was...Suddenly he open fires.....turning and twisting I dodge the bullets. The WolfMkII retaliates and unleashes a missile. I go to the 'E' key for the ECM system..the missile is destroyed...along with the missile I fired at the Thargoid. Not realising this, I open fire on the WolfMKII...he doesn't take much damage, maybe because of the impact of the energy bomb...he is destroyed. The Thargoid moves into attack...I'm caught off guard....the front shields go down and my hull reaches critical level...I remember quoting starwars.....<I can't shake him> He's all over me....Where did he go....BOOM!! Straight into a FUEL SCOOP CANISTER.....GAME OVER....

Elite, a gaming masterpiece!!

What was my mistake?

- Hillsy.
Old 03 September 2004, 17:24   #19
EmuChicken

--- I almost thought I was reading a book!

sounds great- release it hillsy ;-)

You know what'd be damn fun- an actual diary that automatically writes itself on Elite?... and ends up as an ebook in the end ;D
Old 03 September 2004, 17:31   #20
oldpx

Legally? PGA European Tour, last month