English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 January 2022, 08:50   #1
hexaae
Bug hunter

4.9.0+ Jumping pointer in Laced resolution screens

Still investigating how to reproduce it but I noticed that sometimes randomly, after a long run using WinUAE 4.9.0+ the mouse gets crazy when opening Laced resolutions (NTSC/PAL):

[ Show youtube player ]
(ITA: "inter." resolutions = Laced)

@Toni
I still have the task running with jumping mouse issue, what you need me to do to debug this?
This is current config dump using C:uae-configuration: https://privatebin.net/?a2921269c816...XDxkm5M4Jo6SYg
winuaebootlog.txt: https://privatebin.net/?5858c44db239...Qs2mwhp5g1QrEh

Last edited by hexaae; 09 January 2022 at 11:47.
Old 09 January 2022, 12:21   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Unless you have virtual mouse driver enabled, there is nothing in UAE side that could explain this.

Tests:

- Does it jump if you use standard Amiga keys to move mouse? (Amiga + cursor keys)
- Insert other USB mouse and configure it to mouse port. Does it still happen?
- Configure (game ports remap or input panel) some keys to mouse movement. Still happening?
Old 09 January 2022, 13:49   #3
hexaae
Bug hunter

No virtual mouse driver mode.

Doesn't jump using LAMIGA+cursor keys.
Still happens and jumps with a new mouse in USB port (my default mouse is BT).
Reconfigured mouse port 0 as Keymap movements and yes, still jumps using remapped keyboard keymap.

Last test I can do is AmigaOS reboot of course... this should reveal if it was an Amiga software issue which shouldn't survive a software reset.
The strange thing is that it happens only for Laced resolutions...
Old 09 January 2022, 13:55   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It really looks like AmigaOS side issue. Like mouse speed is getting increased by about 100x.

Does switching Display panel interlace line mode to "Double, fields" (or fields+) change it? Or if remove interlace artifacts is enabled?
Old 09 January 2022, 14:10   #5
hexaae
Bug hunter

No change using Double etc. or remove interlace artifacts... Next step reboot.
Old 10 January 2022, 08:38   #6
hexaae
Bug hunter

Won't go away after AmigaOS reboot. It happened again just leaving WB with screen blanker overnight.
EDIT: even a WinUAE Restart button didn't remove the bug: right after Amiga boot I was still able to reproduce the issue only for laced screens. Definitely something in WinUAE between mouse port emu and laced resolutions... Can't explain why it happens only after many hours and what triggers it.

Last edited by hexaae; 10 January 2022 at 11:49.
Old 10 January 2022, 11:25   #7
hexaae
Bug hunter

Notice this with Dark Seed: mouse jumping (game as you know uses laced resolutions) but it suddenly stops after there's something like a vertical refresh reset...

[ Show youtube player ]

Another strange thing: the other day after I was able to reproduce the jumping issue with laced res, just leaving emu running for 21 hours it stopped jumping by itself at some point (and I did nothing, nor I launched anything on the Amiga side)! Weird.

Last edited by hexaae; 10 January 2022 at 11:47.
Old 10 January 2022, 12:18   #8
hexaae
Bug hunter

Restarted WinUAE with debug enabled:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApMUGr0cuN39goZS...Aq5qQ?e=zXTdtR
I see a lot of strange things in the log when I switch with ScreenMode to NTSC Hires Laced....

Code:
negative nr_color_changes: -40. FIXME!

Last edited by hexaae; 10 January 2022 at 12:23.
Old 10 January 2022, 16:22   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

They are harmless (unless they aren't and in some condition it overwrites something. need to recheck.). Not going to fix it until 4.9.1 is out. EDIT: not the cause because it does not happen in field/fields+.

Quote:
AUD0: forced idle state PER=4096 PC=00fbc768
These are a bit weird. Did you have some audio software playing?

Input side does not know or care about interlace, which makes it really weird.

Does it also happen if you switch from non-laced NATIVE mode to interlace mode or only if switching from RTG?

Does it happen if you set Gameports panel mouse speed to default 100?

If you move the mouse _really_ slowly, does it still immediately jump to screen edge or move sort of normally?

What if Input panel configuration is set to Game Ports panel?

Enable also mouse input logging (-inputlog 2 -inputdevicelog 1).

First logs host side movement events, second logs host side mapped to Amiga events. Check that both have sane looking movement delta values (normal speed should keep it in range from -10 to 10)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 10 January 2022 at 16:39.
Old 10 January 2022, 17:01   #10
hexaae
Bug hunter

1. No I wasn't playing audio.. but with Realtek as default install there's "Sonic Studio 3" adding EQ and fx... WEB browsers included (not playing music in that moment)?
I had all audio drivers enabled in WinUAE Sound panel (DS, WASAPI, OpenAL, PortAudio... default I use is WASAPI or DS).

2. when the bug occurs the mouse keeps jumping on NATIVE only laced resolutions (PAL, NTSC, Low/Hi/SuperHi...) and won't jump on RTG or Native non-laced. Amiga software reboot, RAMIGA+LAMIGA+CTRL, or GUI Restart button didn't fix it and then starting OS3.2 or OS3.9 (my default HD file...) and testing ScreenMode I could still reproduce the issue. Only quitting and restarting WinUAE will solve it.

3. will try with Gameport (already tried switching from 54 to 44 or 33 and didn't fix it anyway)

4. when I move mouse really slow it's ok for the very first pixels, then starts jumping

5. will try setting panel config to Game Ports

6. will try with input logging

Last edited by hexaae; 10 January 2022 at 17:07.
Old 10 January 2022, 17:18   #11
hexaae
Bug hunter

First log, everything OK ( = mouse NOT jumping):
left only DS and WASAPI. Booted and launched ScreenMode to test NTSC Hires Laced and other laced res. Not playing music. Here is the log:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApMUGr0cuN39goZT...FRQhA?e=85rbMN

Will follow another log after I reproduce the mouse jumping issues in native laced modes... hope log won't get lost or too big since I have to keep emu running for hours
Old 10 January 2022, 17:20   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
1. No I wasn't playing audio.. but with Realtek as default install there's "Sonic Studio 3" adding EQ and fx... WEB browsers included (not playing music in that moment)?
I had all audio drivers enabled in WinUAE Sound panel (DS, WASAPI, OpenAL, PortAudio... default I use is WASAPI or DS).
I didn't mean host side. Something in Amiga side was writing to audio registers. (That log message stops appearing after about 100 lines)

Quote:
2. when the bug occurs the mouse keeps jumping on NATIVE only laced resolutions (PAL, NTSC, Low/Hi/SuperHi...) and won't jump on RTG or Native non-laced.
Yes but I meant if it happening or not depends on type of screenmode before switching to laced. (native non-laced instead of RTG)

--

Try this:

-inputdevicelog 2 (with -log), to see JOYxDAT/JOYTEST accesses values.

It adds joystick/mouse hardware register reads. Weird behavior could happen if something writes to JOYTEST. If you duplicate it again, does JOYTEST appear in the log?

This logging mode also logs JOY0DAT reads (mouse counters), when mouse jumps around, check how JOYDAT0 values change. If values increase/decrease suddenly by large amounts (and no JOYTEST writes), it means it is UAE side. If values still change normally (similar when no mouse jumping), it means hardware reports correct values but AmigaOS side does something weird with them.

JOY0DAT format is hexadecimal, YYXX (XX=horizontal value, 8-bit signed, YY = vertical value, 8-bit signed)
Old 11 January 2022, 19:12   #13
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I didn't mean host side. Something in Amiga side was writing to audio registers. (That log message stops appearing after about 100 lines)
Maybe MiniArcanoid WB game banging hw directly?

Quote:
Yes but I meant if it happening or not depends on type of screenmode before switching to laced. (native non-laced instead of RTG)
I'd say no, doesn't matter if I switch from RTG->laced or native PAL Low-Res -> Laced... It always kept jumping on laced screens as far as I can remember (will re-test to be sure)

Quote:
Try this:

-inputdevicelog 2 (with -log), to see JOYxDAT/JOYTEST accesses values.

It adds joystick/mouse hardware register reads. Weird behavior could happen if something writes to JOYTEST. If you duplicate it again, does JOYTEST appear in the log?
Trying desperately to reproduce this rare issue... in the meanwhile I got this with a "JOYTEST" in the log but Laced res were still ok in this case.

https://privatebin.net/?9daab9370da3...37LDAi2FUG13DT
Old 11 January 2022, 19:42   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
Trying desperately to reproduce this rare issue... in the meanwhile I got this with a "JOYTEST" in the log but Laced res were still ok in this case.
Few random JOYTEST writes is fine. (but still a bit suspicious but it can't cause this problem)
Old 12 January 2022, 16:14   #15
Solskogen

I've seen this happening on Amiberry on Linux as well. Haven't seen it in a long time,though.
Old 12 January 2022, 16:42   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solskogen View Post
I've seen this happening on Amiberry on Linux as well. Haven't seen it in a long time,though.
Are you sure it is same and not the more common virtual mouse driver being enabled and getting absolute data instead of relative? It looks quite similar.
Old 12 January 2022, 17:19   #17
midwan

I've managed to recreate this in WinUAE 2 years ago, after it was reported for Amiberry (where I couldn't recreate it myself, but others could). We still have an open case for it: https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues/624

One person even mentioned they could recreate it on FS-UAE, which could indicate it might be a common underlying bug somewhere?

I wasn't using virtual mouse driver when I tested it, just left the emulation running for a very long time.
Old 23 January 2022, 10:36   #18
hexaae
Bug hunter

13 hours, overnight and I was able to reproduce it again even in latest 4.9.1RC (b6)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApMUGr0cuN39goZS...Aq5qQ?e=hIRDXp

I can confirm that switching from RTG -> laced resolution or PAL low-res -> PAL hires-laced won't change: still jumping.
Another video, with JoyPortTest by Psygore running:
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by hexaae; 23 January 2022 at 10:58.
Old 23 January 2022, 10:58   #19
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No logging enabled, no command line parameters I mentioned above. Not done any checks I mentioned above. Nothing useful here, sorry.
Old 23 January 2022, 11:00   #20
hexaae
Bug hunter

Yep, I was just testing the new beta and kept it running...
Will reproduce this night with the given line parameters.

Does the video above in post #18 give you some hints? I've seen Ctrl Type changes from mouse <-> joystick for a brief moment... maybe an issue with mouse/joystick auto-switch option vs host system overnight? I tried to disable it but didn't fix it AFTER it starts jumping... After tonight test I'll try also with that option disabled from the beginning.

Last edited by hexaae; 24 January 2022 at 00:37.