English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

View Poll Results: Should the guest access be limited?
Yes. Unregistered people should not be able to post messages. 13 59.09%
No. Everyone should be free to post here. 3 13.64%
You've got some valid points but I'm not sure. 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 January 2002, 21:17   #1
oldpx

Should the guest access be limited?

Recently, I've seen some insulting, odd, stupid. unnecessary posts by unregistered people. I'm not in position to judge the content of anyone's posts so I'm posting a poll. I think it's pointless to let unregistered people post something because all they need is to fill and submit a form in order to get registered and if their questions and/or ideas are so important and to be given value by the others, they should not hesitate to identify themselves. I also suspect existing members may be deciding to hide under the cover of the guest account and post messages that they would not do with their casual nicknames.

However, I am aware of the fact that forcing people to register before they post will increase the number of zero-posters significantly.

Old 19 January 2002, 22:18   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

It's a good idea, but most (if not all) guest that throw about insults are actually registered members.

Some member's take the easy option when they want to insult people and log out before doing so. You can make your own mind up why they do this (I have my own idea)

So restricting guest's posting messages will only force these chickens to register another name and drive away the genuine unregistered people who either need our help or have a request, which I don't think anyone really wants.

Forcing people to register, just to find out how to load Xenon 2 or something else is not a good idea.

Good call on bringing this subject to a head though
Old 19 January 2002, 22:56   #3
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Guests should have to register to post!

I have no doubt about it, people can freely read posts, find out about the board etc. But if they want to post a message then they should register.

How many times have we seen some "guest" login, ask a stupid question somewhere and then people take the time to answer it and the "guest" never comes back to read it (or if they do, they don't acknowledge it). If they did return, they would be unlikely to find their original message anyway due to not being able to see updated posts since their last visit.

If someone is too lazy to register then they don't deserve to be able to post. Plus by registering then they will hopefully see the end of newbies questions like "where do i find the latest romz for my Amiga emu" (and signing with a stupid signature in the message) which cannot be a bad thing.
Old 19 January 2002, 23:01   #4
oldpx

IPs may be partially visible like (216.195.175.xxx) to prevent registered users become anonymous easily. Most of us may have dynamic ips but at least people will be forced to log off and reconnect to internet in order to post under a different ip and as a guest. Even that way, their ip won't be a much different one so they can be identified.

Old 19 January 2002, 23:42   #5
MethodGit

Ian does have a point about the fact that there could be really nice and decent guests coming to this board to say something. I believe I've seen people like that here.

But really, I don't know which side I should take. Hard choice.
Old 20 January 2002, 05:53   #6
RCK
Administrator

We can also restrict the guest power, in order to let them post only in the real important sections where "real guest" needs help. (» Problems area IMO)
Old 20 January 2002, 08:26   #7
jmmijo

I like this discussion, Burseg and everyone that has replied have valid points. Unfortunately I don't see a way to make everyone happy no matter what the final outcome, if any, to this question.

I like RCk's point about limiting the posting of guests to specific sub-boards, like specifically to the "New to Emulation/Amiga Scene" board only until they register. I mean, it's a free board

I joined recently because I thought I could contribute, maybe in my small but humble way
Old 20 January 2002, 12:43   #8
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

I too think RCK's idea could be an excellent one. People need a starting point to at least look around at EAB & see if they want to come back. With limited posting areas & downloads from the Zone you could think of it like a cut-down "demo" version of EAB (which would encourage you to register.)

Given if there would be any insults/flames (from members, past or present.),they'd be more likely to come from other areas like "off topic" discussions etc.
Old 20 January 2002, 14:53   #9
oldpx

Yes RCKs idea is a good one

Old 01 February 2002, 02:05   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
This chapter seems to be closed now.
RCK, if I'm not all wrong, the possibility to post for non-registered users has been removed now.
Brave new world. (tm)
Old 01 February 2002, 02:11   #11
oldpx

I think RCK still has ideas about the future of the guest account.

Old 01 February 2002, 03:04   #12
RCK
Administrator

@andreas: Don't be afraid, you know that guest account will come back on day. Let me secure and limit them before re-opening.
Old 01 February 2002, 23:48   #13
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Allow me to put my 2 cents (40,000 lira ) in:
MMMMmmmyup! Ban 'em!
Old 02 February 2002, 00:14   #14
oldpx

Uhhhh . Yesterday there were only six votes for banning and now eleven !!!:eek :eek :eek

And 2 cents make *only* 26500 lira

Old 02 February 2002, 00:21   #15
Ian
Global Moderator

Maybe recent event's on other forum's has made some people change their mind's?
Old 02 February 2002, 06:47   #16
jmmijo

Yeah, I've been reading the posts from Marz on the UAE board. I was actually looking for some UAE info and found his junk instead You know, maybe his posts are akin to spam