English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 September 2009, 21:38   #1
pooralfie

Is this damage a problem?

I have acquired a 1200 1.D.1 mobo that I intended to use to replace my unstable 1.D.4 but have noticed what appears to be a broken capacitor, its bent at an angle and I think one leg is broken (see image).

As I have no idea what its connected to I wonder if it will cause me a problem. The board seems to be working, have booted it from internal and external fdd, checked video output by composite tested keyboard and tried 8mb ram expansion, all seem to work fine

Click image for larger version

Name:	1200.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	22681

Last edited by pooralfie; 13 September 2009 at 21:39. Reason: typo

Old 13 September 2009, 22:25   #2
8bitbubsy

No good..! Even if it seems to give no problems, it might... Fix that one already!
Bend it down in place in the socket, and bend the pin towards the solder pad... Then put your solder iron over it, so it melts down to place in the solder pad.
If you're curious, look at the other SMD caps to see how they're supposed to be

(Random SMD capacitor pic)

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 13 September 2009 at 22:31.
Old 13 September 2009, 22:39   #3
pooralfie

unfortunately I haven't used a soldering iron in 15 years and wasn't much good with it then. I'd end up doing more damage if I tried

Old 13 September 2009, 22:45   #4
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooralfie View Post
unfortunately I haven't used a soldering iron in 15 years and wasn't much good with it then. I'd end up doing more damage if I tried
You don't need any solder tin, just put the soldering iron over the pin so it melts down.. Should be do-able for everyone Just take your time, and it will be fine

If you like to do things correctly, go for hardcode mode:
Get solder flux, and a solder wool...
Remove all the solder from the pad with the wool, add some flux, and after that some solder tin.. Then bend the pin down and do your job

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 13 September 2009 at 22:54.
Old 13 September 2009, 23:04   #5
pooralfie

I've had a good look and I think I can see where the leg should be (thanks to your encouragement to look) it seems to have come free from the solder. If I find a problem I may consider attempting to fix it (would need to get a soldering iron first) but as it hasn't stopped the board working I'd rather not risk doing more damage.

As I have yet to find an error with the board I wouldn't be able to tell if I had fixed it. have also tested sound and thats ok, if it is going to stop a part of the board working that I don't need like the video port, serial and probably parallel ports then there's no point in bothering. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will know what its attached to

Old 13 September 2009, 23:09   #6
8bitbubsy

Fair enough...
I'd scream like a girl if I noticed such a cap, and fix it while crying in agony....
Old 14 September 2009, 01:38   #7
pooralfie

ok, now have this running with internal and external fdd's attached, video and sound over rca connection, ezkey keyboard adapter with ps/2 keyboard, apollo '040/25 32mb and still no sign of a problem though not run over an extended period, need to test ide with eyetech 4way buffered interface, cdrw and cf hdd. if thats ok will swap out the kickstarts for the 3.1's from my 1.D.4 and not worry about the capacitor

Old 14 September 2009, 02:35   #8
smoorke

Send a message via MSN to smoorke
looks like the solder joints are still intact. and more like the the internal connertors of the cap are exposed. the only way to fix it is desolder the broken cap and replace it with a new one. even when you do manage to nudge the cap back into place it's not gonna work as the innards have been exposed and are dry/oxidized
Old 14 September 2009, 03:33   #9
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoorke View Post
looks like the solder joints are still intact. and more like the the internal connertors of the cap are exposed. the only way to fix it is desolder the broken cap and replace it with a new one. even when you do manage to nudge the cap back into place it's not gonna work as the innards have been exposed and are dry/oxidized
True that... If I was him, I'd buy a replacement cap immediately and replace it.