English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 April 2004, 18:07   #1
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Extremely bizarre graphical problem (screenshots)

Hello everyone, I hope somebody here can help me

I'm having a VERY bizarre graphical problem that occured from the very first time I ran WinUAE... VERY bizarre!

I have installed AIAB but there's no reason I should get this problem: When running games (it seems to only happen in games, Workbench is fine) EVEN DIRECTLY FROM AN ADF, there is a weird "background rainbow" effect.

Even if I "boot without startup" where NOTHING is loaded, I get this weird effect.

I describe it like this: It reacts to movement. When the screen has just moved, ie scrolling along in a platform game, it seems almost fine. There's still weird discoloration in the background. As soon as movement stops a weird "texture" begins to develop on the screen.

THIS HAPPENS WITH A 3.1 ROM FILE AND A 1.3 ROM FILE! Even if I boot up a NON-DOS game in A500 mode DIRECTLY from DF0: I still get the same weird screen problems.

Like I said: This occured from a clean install of the latest version running from the DEFAULT settings. It has nothing to do with the WinUAE settings (seemingly) because of this fact.

I've attatched two screenshots so everyone can see this weirdness in action... let me know what you think!

I'm sure this is something I've overlooked, but it's just sooo damn weird

Thanks for any help!

Johnny

PS - I'm running Windows XP Home SP1, latest nVidia drivers, SB Audigy and an nForce2 mobo. I also have an Athlon XP 2800+. Hope this helps some uber genius solve this mysterious puzzle!

Thanks!

Last edited by JohnnyWalker; 30 April 2004 at 01:27.
Old 29 April 2004, 18:11   #2
Jim

Does this happen in both full-screen and windowed mode ?

Old 29 April 2004, 18:17   #3
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Wow! That's interesting! I didn't think to try that and NO! it doesn't happen in Windowed mode, only fullscreen! Hope this gives you a vital clue as to its source, thanks!
Old 29 April 2004, 19:40   #4
Jim

The first thing I am thinking is are you sure you have set it to 16/32-bit colour in full-screen mode ?

Other than that I recommend you search these forums for tips on graphics set-up and also just play with the settings.

I doubt this is a WinUAE problem as such - more it's rather YOUR config problem. Just play for a while and you should get it working, but try the 32-bit colour first.

Maybe later if you reply with no luck someone who's got more experience in messing with the graphics (I always run in windowed) will come along and help you.

Last edited by Jim; 29 April 2004 at 19:57.

Old 29 April 2004, 19:57   #5
Unregistered

Thanks Jim, but the problem is that I haven't altered any settings at all

It's currently set to 640x480, 16-bit. Is that ok?

The weird thing about this is is that it's ANIMATED! The texture effect in the screenshot FADES in! Also there's a weird rainbow effect. It looks VERY deliberate, but I have no idea what's causing it.

Anyhow, thanks again!

Old 29 April 2004, 20:01   #6
Jim

Like I said try changing the settings, the worst you'll get is a black screen or one even more corrupt. You won't fry anything.

Go for 800*600 or 1024*768 as with some cards (esp new ones) this could be faster than 640*480 (or so I have been told).

Don't use AIAB yet - boot up direct from an ADF. Try OCS/ECS game in A500 config before you get into AGA A1200 configs, or especially AIAB which uses Picasso96 stuff I think.

If you play around enough you will find your "perfect" settings which you can then use with most configs.

Old 29 April 2004, 20:11   #7
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I believe it is a graphics card issue. Make sure you dont have AA and AF forced on in your graphics cards property window under Display advanced settings in Windows.

Also in the Filter screen in WinUAE, disable it. If that doesn't work, set it to OpenGL and NULL.
Old 29 April 2004, 20:31   #8
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

...also try to install the latest version of your gfx card bios/drivers. I also had some weird crashes in the past due to the use of older drivers.
Old 30 April 2004, 01:26   #9
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Aha! Fixed! I indeed had forced AA and AS on my card... THAT was the problem!

Phewee! Thanks everyone who tried to help!