loadmodule l:system-startup- romupdate
else
version strap version 47 >nil:
if warn

>>> etc ... <<<

Questions:
1. What specifically does this line do:
loadmodule l:system-startup- romupdate

I would guess that the statement will load all versions of the required libraries specific to os 3.2.x

2. With regards to this statement:
version strap version 47 >nil:

What is strap?

3. Lastly, consider this scenario:

I am using caffeine os with a pistorm - caffeine os is bundled with a non-3.2.x rom.

The intent is to boot into my 3.2.2.1 environment.
All works fine but some icons are not properly displayed.

How can I fix this situation?

I am aware just replacing the pistorm's rom with kickstart 3.2.x will solve the issue.
I was just wondering whether there is another solution?

Thank-you.
Old 06 June 2024, 07:54   #2
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfPlum View Post
Questions:1. What specifically does this line do: loadmodule l:system-startup- romupdate
Google and aminet helps you. Read here:

http://aminet.net/util/boot/LoadModule.readme

Quote:
I would guess that the statement will load all versions of the required libraries specific to os 3.2.x
Yes. L:System-Startup is specified as extra as it is a new module that became part of 3.2 not existing before.

Quote:
What is strap?
The ROM module that looks for a boot device and initiates booting from it. A kickstart component.

Quote:
How can I fix this situation?
Too generic to be answered. The 3.2 icons are surely displayed correctly. What you probably have are icons in a non-system format. Replacing the icons (the ".info"-files) would be the recommended way.
Old 08 June 2024, 00:20   #3
Dunny

Quote:
The intent is to boot into my 3.2.2.1 environment.
All works fine but some icons are not properly displayed.
Install this: https://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

or copy the relevant libs over from caffeine. Honestly, anyone that runs a workbench of any version (including 3.2.x) should use PeterK's library for icons.
Old 08 June 2024, 04:51   #4
ProfPlum

Hooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Install this: https://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

or copy the relevant libs over from caffeine. Honestly, anyone that runs a workbench of any version (including 3.2.x) should use PeterK's library for icons.

As an fyi ...

I want to point out, using the rom supplied with caffeine os, the system fails to boot into a 3.2.x environment if icon.library is replaced with Peter K's version.

I imagine there is some sort of version mismatch here. Thomas can probably explain why this is so.
Old 08 June 2024, 09:46   #5
mja65

Quote:
As an fyi ...

I want to point out, using the rom supplied with caffeine os, the system fails to boot into a 3.2.x environment if icon.library is replaced with Peter K's version.

I imagine there is some sort of version mismatch here. Thomas can probably explain why this is so.

It's a little unclear what you are trying to accomplish - if it's a dual boot with Caffeine and a a 3.2 environment it would easier to use a script to switch the config.txt (which means you could switch the ROM to 3.2) before rebooting the amiga.

It would also save you using the Early Startup Menu since you could change the priority of the drives through the script using this:

https://thomas-rapp.hier-im-netz.de/...ngebootpri.lha
Old 08 June 2024, 12:39   #6
dcutugno

It's not as simple it might seem, you have to mount the FAT32, switch the config reboot, but sometimes CaffeineOS update the Config.txt so you have to be sure to copy it back after update to your Config.txt static one, just to say, handle a multiboot enviroment correctly require a lot of scripting and test for every case that could happen...
Now only an example of the easy part...

Last edited by dcutugno; 08 June 2024 at 12:49.
Old 08 June 2024, 12:59   #7
mja65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutugno View Post
It's not as simple it might seem, you have to mount the FAT32, switch the config reboot, but sometimes CaffeineOS update the Config.txt so you have to be sure to copy it back after update to your Config.txt static one, just to say, handle a multiboot enviroment correctly require a lot of scripting and test for every case that could happen...
Looks like your example is to have a boot selector. It doesn't need that level of complexity just to switch to the other environment.
Old 08 June 2024, 13:30   #8
ProfPlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja65 View Post
It's a little unclear what you are trying to accomplish - if it's a dual boot with Caffeine and a a 3.2 environment it would easier to use a script to switch the config.txt (which means you could switch the ROM to 3.2) before rebooting the amiga.

It would also save you using the Early Startup Menu since you could change the priority of the drives through the script using this:

https://thomas-rapp.hier-im-netz.de/...ngebootpri.lha

I am not trying to accomplish anything other than learning something about the OS 3.2 startup-sequence. My system is working fine. Apologies if my last message caused confusion.

A little bit of background info...

I had a fully functional 3.2.x system. I decided to try the pistorm using the caffeine os distribution, but booting into my own (OS 3.2.x) partition.

My environment did have Peter's icon.library which led the system to boot into a failure (off-hand, I don't remember the exact error).

I imagine the statement: loadmodule l:system-startup- romupdate
probably didn't expect that version of icon lib.

Of course, just replacing the caffeine boot rom with a 3.2.x rom made everything work fine.
Old 08 June 2024, 13:41   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

PeterK's Icon.library does not create any conflict 'with any Amiga OS', your conflict was due to other causes
Old 08 June 2024, 14:04   #10
dcutugno

The user is talking about using another rom, the main (LAB CONFIGKICK) part is about switching config where you can load the 3.2 rom or another one...
Old 08 June 2024, 14:33   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

Even if you use different ROMs, Peterk's Icon.library will not cause malfunctions.
Old 08 June 2024, 17:08   #12
PeterK

Quote:
I had a fully functional 3.2.x system. I decided to try the pistorm using the caffeine os distribution, but booting into my own (OS 3.2.x) partition.

My environment did have Peter's icon.library which led the system to boot into a failure (off-hand, I don't remember the exact error).
CaffeineOS can be used in two different environment modes: DOpus 5.83 or Workbench.

Of course, you can not start CaffeineOS in the DOpus5 mode and then redirect it to your OS 3.2.x partition. That will never work!

You have to switch the CaffeineOS into the Workbench mode at least. But even in the WB mode CaffeineOS depends on many scripts and special settings (files in S:) made by the author, which will not exist on an OS 3.2.x partition, even though OS 3.2 works fine with my icon.library too. I would recommend to contact Pedro and tell him about your plans. Or you have to explain exactly how you want to redirect CaffeineOS to OS 3.2, which startup-sequence is executed and what did you modify?

Last edited by PeterK; 08 June 2024 at 20:02.
Old 08 June 2024, 19:25   #13
ProfPlum

Firstly, I wish to thank everyone for their replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
CaffeineOS can be used in two different environment modes: DOpus 5.83 or Workbench.

Of course, you can not start CaffeineOS in the DOpus5 mode and then redirect it to your OS 3.2.x partition. That will never work!

You have to switch the CaffeineOS into the Workbench mode at least (see screenshot). But even in the WB mode CaffeineOS depends on many scripts and special settings (files in S made by the author (Pedro Cotter) which will not exist on an OS 3.2.x partition, even though OS 3.2 works fine with my icon.library too. I would recommend to contact Pedro and tell him about your plans. Or you have to explain exactly how you want to redirect CaffeineOS to OS 3.2, which startup-sequence is executed and what did you modify?

Peter,

Perhaps I did not explain myself properly.

I burned the caffeine os image and I'm using it with the pistorm for the sake of launching/running the firmware/emu68. I am not using the (Amiga) partitions from the caffeine os image, and therefore, I am not really running caffeine os.

I was stating that, with the default os rom provided with caffeine os on the emu68 partition, and when the libs: folder contains your icon.library, the os 3.2 startup-sequence fails.

And as mentioned, this is not an issue. Simply replace the provided os with the 3.2.x rom.
Old 08 June 2024, 19:52   #14
PeterK

I've just seen that CaffeineOS uses SetPatch v44, which will replace the icon.library and workbench.library from the Rom by those from Libs:.

But the SetPatch of OS 3.2 won't do that, because OS 3.2 already has a library loader in the Rom, which you don't want to use.

You could try to copy the RemLib command (by Thomas Rapp) from my IconLib package into C: on OS 3.2 and then add the following to your startup-sequence above SetPatch:
Code:
Version >NIL: icon.library 47
If WARN
   If EXISTS Libs:icon.library
      RemLib >NIL: icon.library
      If EXISTS Libs:workbench.library
         RemLib >NIL: workbench.library
      EndIf
   EndIf
EndIf

Last edited by PeterK; 08 June 2024 at 19:59.
Old 09 June 2024, 00:29   #15
ProfPlum

Quote:
I've just seen that CaffeineOS uses SetPatch v44, which will replace the icon.library and workbench.library from the Rom by those from Libs:.

But the SetPatch of OS 3.2 won't do that, because OS 3.2 already has a library loader in the Rom, which you don't want to use.

You could try to copy the RemLib command (by Thomas Rapp) from my IconLib package into C: on OS 3.2 and then add the following to your startup-sequence above SetPatch:
Code:
Version >NIL: icon.library 47
If WARN
      EndIf
   EndIf
EndIf

Peter,

I modified the above slightly. Yes, this approach seems to work.
Thank-you very much.
Old 09 June 2024, 00:34   #16
PeterK

What is your modification?

I don't know which versions of icon.library and workbench.library are included in the CaffeineOS Rom.

LoadModule may also need the P-bit set when it tries to update old modules, but the protection bits are not always copied correctly, as for example under Windows or by using the AmigaOS Copy command without the option "CLONE".

Last edited by PeterK; 09 June 2024 at 01:34.
Old 09 June 2024, 00:50   #17
ProfPlum

Quote:
What is your modification?

I don't know which versions of icon.library and workbench.library are included in the CaffeineOS Rom.

LoadModule may also need the P-bit set when it tries to update old modules, but the protection bits are not always copied correctly, as for example under windows.

Below was sufficient not to cause any errors, placed at the top of the startup-sequence.

Code:
version exec.library version 47 >NIL:
If WARN
      EndIf
   EndIf
EndIf
Old 09 June 2024, 01:05   #18
PeterK

So, it seems to be a problem with the OS 3.2 startup-sequence at:
Code:
Version exec.library version 47 >NIL:
If Warn
  LoadModule L:System-Startup ROMUPDATE
... which was the same here ...

Maybe you have to install OS 3.2 for a v40 Rom first in order to generate all required files correctly for an older Rom, but I never tried to do that. In my installation for the actual OS 3.2 Rom these update files are not created, but I'm not an OS 3.2 expert, nor a user, just a tester.

More information can be found in the AmigaOS_3.2-FAQ.txt at chapter 12.4 and the following explanations ...

Last edited by PeterK; 09 June 2024 at 01:32.
Old 09 June 2024, 01:23   #19
mja65

Quote:
FI burned the caffeine os image and I'm using it with the pistorm for the sake of launching/running the firmware/emu68. I am not using the (Amiga) partitions from the caffeine os image, and therefore, I am not really running caffeine os.
So if your question is why OS3.2 doesn't work well with a Kickstart 3.1 patched with various 3.9 libraries (as I believe is used by Caffeine) it's probably not really expected to.If you are trying to do your own build you don't need to use Caffeine at all. Just follow the guide here:https://michalsc.github.io/Emu68/tut...eparation.html
Old 09 June 2024, 01:41   #20
ProfPlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja65 View Post
So if your question is why OS3.2 doesn't work well with a Kickstart 3.1 patched with various 3.9 libraries (as I believe is used by Caffeine) it's probably not really expected to.
Rightfully so. This was more an issue of my curiosity and a learning experience.