English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 May 2007, 00:09   #21
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

To reduce blurriness with ClearType, you might want to play with this: Microsoft ClearType Tuner PowerToy

Edit: haha, simul-post
Old 15 May 2007, 00:11   #22
Shoonay
Global Caturator

LOL, even the same time
Old 15 May 2007, 00:53   #23
InfoVS

Jeez...Mad-Matt, if I'm in non-native resolution (and I'm, of course) capturing it will not make it blurry. Switch to non-native, capture and paste pic, switch to native and you'll see what I mean. Don't assume I don't know what I'm doing.
BTW sorry for my grammatical errors, English is not my native.
Anyway...I did some research. Hm..maybe it is my regional settings or the fact that I'm forced to run on SP1 (long story...includes one special printer drivers and network). I'll try from my computer at work with SP2 tomorrow, now I'm going to sleep.
BUT the fact is - this new WinUAE font is looking blurry on my PC while every other program is fine incl.old WinUAE versions. So something is not 100% compatible...

BTW, yes yes, with ClearType this font is sharper. Here's the picture with CT on. Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.gif
Views:	533
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	13852
But guess some people can't understand that ClearType is not something that everybody likes and I'm not going to leave it on just because of this WinUAE issue...

Last edited by InfoVS; 15 May 2007 at 01:02.

Old 15 May 2007, 02:05   #24
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoVS
BUT the fact is - this new WinUAE font is looking blurry on my PC while every other program is fine incl.old WinUAE versions. So something is not 100% compatible...
well that's understandable because this release is the first that utilizes the alternative font.

anyway, i am a little lost: you say that the font is ugly or badly rendered in Winuae: if i am not wrong the font is rendered the same way outside winuae, so the problem is that it simply doesn't read well and that it's strange, it being a standard font for Windows.
So it's one of these 3 possibility?

1) the resolution you use on the LCD screen plus the fact that you decide not to finetune Cleartype (Cleartype being born exactly to fix readability of fonts on LCD) plus some problem of your installation of Windows gives the results in object.
2) the font is broken (it may happen, for instance if it gets overwritten by a almost alike font, with the same name but customized)
3) the font's design doesnt' fit in general design of the OS version you use, resulting so strange.

in case 1 and 2 the problem is not exactly of Winuae, and least of having a consistent report of people using LCD and having the same results, i would suggest you to get on with cleartype, instead of changing away winuae, but that's not my call anyway.
the 3rd case is the only one that may support the rethinking of this feature imho.
don't get me bad, it's just my 2 cents
Old 15 May 2007, 02:09   #25
UncleSpam

Well, I don't see any problems, with all the screenshots and with my WinUAE interface. I use ClearType all the time, since I use a laptop and an external LCD display.

Now, if all you do is configure WinUAE and not actually run the emulation, then I can see where the font would be a problem

b.
Old 15 May 2007, 05:30   #26
NfernalNfluence

Quote:
It all fine with my fonts. It's a matter of taste. To me this "improvement" is step backward
yeah toni should move forward with wingdings font!

Last edited by NfernalNfluence; 15 May 2007 at 05:38.
Old 15 May 2007, 07:29   #27
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Well, in my opinion, that is slightly better than your first picture, but still not acceptable.. it's now fat and blurry... eeeeeew. It's still not nice, crisp and clear.

Your new pic in closeup: (love showing clarity)

Old 15 May 2007, 07:57   #28
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

LOL, shouldn't we be complaining about emulation issues??

Anyway, my preference is for the old font (i don't use cleartype nor know how to set it - even with cleartype on as displayed by infoVS closeup, it's just not as clear - and it doesn't look like the classic Amiga bitmap fonts which have none of this multi-colour smoothing!!!!).

I probably notice the difference more due to my sharper LCD screen compared with a CRT which will gloss over those colour differences and merge them better.

But whatever Toni likes is good enough for me.
Old 15 May 2007, 07:59   #29
jasonver2.0
ABR Creator

New glasses perhaps?

@Ironclaw - All fonts looks 'blurry' if you zoom in enough.
Old 15 May 2007, 08:35   #30
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you have Vista font installed on your XP machines?

WinUAE supports two "new" fonts, Tahoma (tahoma.ttf in windows\fonts) , which was first introduced in Windows 2000 and Segoe UI (segoeui.ttf) which was introduced in Vista.

Tahoma is default font in Windows 2000+ so it should look same as explorer's default font.
Old 15 May 2007, 08:43   #31
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonver2.0
New glasses perhaps?

@Ironclaw - All fonts looks 'blurry' if you zoom in enough.
No they don't.... not mine.. it's all crisp here, no blurriness....

You see the left picture (A), that is how the fonts look on my PC in all programs... that is how it should look like.. does that look blurry to you??? Guess you view your pictures and stuff in a program that adds blurriness to the zoom.... DON'T as it doesn't give the correct look.... use ACDsee or paint like me... or even paintshop pro.

Old 15 May 2007, 11:00   #32
InfoVS

Ahhh...now we're talking...
@Toni...
The problem is with segoeui.ttf font. It is used by some applications, not only Vista. So it is installed and needed on my XP. But since when additional (not overwritten) fonts are supposed to cause different look in programs??
Maybe WinUAE needs to check if OS is XP and if it is disable usage of segoeui.ttf. I don't know how this font looks in Vista (and I'm not going that road anytime soon btw...) but in XP with ClearType OFF it is blurry.
So, I had free time to take caps with and without segoeui.ttf fonts, with and without CT and how I think it should look by capturing screen with old 1.4.1 version. JMHOOC. @Ironclaw, thank you for all your posts and help...but I don't think zooming pictures is necessary, people can do that in simple picture viewer. Also, I captured small portion of Window Explorer so you could see ClearType effect on other windows...

XP, segoeui.ttf installed, ClearType Off (standard font smoothing) - extremely ugly
Click image for larger version

Name:	SegCTOff.gif
Views:	330
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	13860

segoeui.ttf installed, CT On - better, but ClearType is affecting other programs and not everybody likes that...

Name:	SegCTOn.gif
Views:	321
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	13861

segoeui.ttf NOT installed, ClearType Off - This is an OK look. But I have to remove segoeui.ttf font from fonts folder and this is not acceptable.

Name:	NoSegCTOff.gif
Views:	313
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	13864

1.4.1 WinUAE version, segoeui.ttf doesn't matter, ClearType Off - best look, IMHO. Don't know what was wrong with that look that had to be changed.

Name:	CTOff141.gif
Views:	306
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	13865

Regards

Last edited by InfoVS; 15 May 2007 at 11:31.

Old 15 May 2007, 11:16   #33
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Here InfoVS, have a joint...

I'm sure you'll appreciate the colorful ClearType fonts now!
Old 15 May 2007, 11:32   #34
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Ok. I guess the easiest solution is to only allow Segoe UI if running in Vista and default to Tahoma if Windows2000+ and "original" if 98/ME.

I don't really want to add "useless" GUI options if possible. (=install Vista if you really want Segoe UI font in next WinUAE version )
Old 15 May 2007, 12:04   #35
InfoVS

I guess this is an OK solution.

Thanks Toni, regards

Old 15 May 2007, 23:42   #36
_Steve_

I have this font installed at the moment as well, but it wasn't something I consciously added. My current machine has only recently had XP installed from scratch (SP2 included on the install MS-CD). Very few applications have been installed, so unless the font was included on the XP SP2 cd, I can only conclude one of these added it.

As such, the new look UI does look a bit odd over the traditionally used Tahoma font from the previous versions, and as shown above, it is blurry by default (using a 17" CRT here).
Old 15 May 2007, 23:59   #37
adolescent