English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 July 2016, 22:27   #1
SteveCoops

First ever Amiga, mouse issues

Hi all,

I've just got my first ever Amiga 500 (I was always a PC kid) in an unknown condition (was working when last used 20 years ago!). It's very yellow...

Anyway, it boots up fine and the original Workbench floppy disk still works, but the mouse only goes left and right. The cable was rather mangled (looked like a mouse had chewed it) and continuity tests showed breaks so I've replaced it. No different though.

I've got both pairs of IR LEDs working (can see them on my phone's camera), but moving the up/down roller does nothing. Sometimes it jiggled by a single pixel.

I also have a joystick ("cruiser") of unknown condition and using that in port 1 I can get the cursor to move down, but only down, and that's by wiggling it to the left like a madman.

Any ideas what I can check before I buy a mouse adapter? Any way I can test using the second port?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Steve

edit - I've just booted Premier Manager 3 and the mouse pointer jiggles up and down a bit more when I spin the roller real quick. So, is it the mouse or the machine?

Old 23 July 2016, 22:39   #2
SteveCoops

OK so booted up Kick Off 2 and with the joystick in port 1,I can't do anything, but in port 2 it works perfectly, so it looks like the port?

Old 23 July 2016, 23:50   #3
SteveCoops

OK I've proven it's the mouse - I've unsoldered and swapped over the IR receivers by each wheel/roller/thing and now the mouse moves up and down and not left and right.

I also tried replacing R401/R408 but they seemed fine, and reseated DENISE and swapped the CIA chips to no avail.

Old 24 July 2016, 01:20   #4
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCoops View Post
Anyway, it boots up fine and the original Workbench floppy disk still works, but the mouse only goes left and right. The cable was rather mangled (looked like a mouse had chewed it) and continuity tests showed breaks so I've replaced it. No different though.
A mouse ate the mouse huh? Cannibal!

Quote:
Any ideas what I can check before I buy a mouse adapter? Any way I can test using the second port?
You will probably want a mouse adapter anyway if your 500 came with a tank mouse like most. The new mice with no ball and rollers are so much better.

Most games expect the first joystick in the 2nd port and a 2nd joystick for 2 player games in the mouse port. Sorry I couldn't be more help but you are doing a good job of diagnosing the problem yourself .
Old 24 July 2016, 15:49   #5
SteveCoops

Thanks

I've ordered one some USB mouse adapter off eBay, hope that'll sort me out!

Old 25 July 2016, 18:31   #6
debiani386
New generation Amiga user

I bought a Micromys from amigakit (http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1092) since I had a few ps/2 mice sitting there collecting dust.

There is also the Rys mk2 adapter for USB mice and joysticks (it has a minimal USB stack - enough for mouse and joystick) (http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1272)
Old 25 July 2016, 19:35   #7
gazj82

Welcome to Amiga!
Old 26 July 2016, 12:40   #8
amigakit.com

Welcome to EAB!
Old 02 August 2016, 22:56   #9
SteveCoops

Just an fyi update if anyone's interested (as I hate finding un-ended threads) - I got a USB mouse adapter and now it works perfectly using an old Microsoft or HP USB mouse

Thanks for the welcomes!

Old 02 August 2016, 23:01   #10
volvo_0ne

Quote:
Just an fyi update if anyone's interested (as I hate finding un-ended threads) - I got a USB mouse adapter and now it works perfectly using an old Microsoft or HP USB mouse

Thanks for the welcomes!

Wish I'd seen this sooner, I had EXACTLY the same problem (except with TWO different mouses (mice?)) AND the same solution, £15 for a USB type adapter & mouse from EBay fixed it.

Glad you got sorted, and welcome.