English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 March 2020, 21:00   #1
spoUP

Emulate a sampler for UAE?

Hi! I just talked to a musician friend (a quite legendary one at that!) that sadly stopped making amiga tracker music since he sold his Amiga.
Why? His sound was built on the possibility of sampling directly into protracker with varying sample rate. He produced a quite amiga unique crunchy sound that way.

He asked me today if UAE could emulate an amiga sampler making it possible to use the line in on your pc to sample straight from Protracker.

I don’t know why this isn’t done yet, it seems so obvious once he told me about the idea. All sorts of hw is emulated in UAE and that is awesome, so why not emulate a sampler?

Please let us hook up a virtual sampler to UAE! <3
Old 28 March 2020, 21:05   #2
daxb

There is no parallel port sampler emulation?
Old 28 March 2020, 21:17   #3
spoUP

No there isn’t that I know of. It would kick serious arse to have.
Old 28 March 2020, 21:30   #4
thomas

Go to IO ports -> Parallel Port -> Sampler
There you are.
Old 29 March 2020, 16:40   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It works quite badly. Emulating parallel port sound sampler isn't worth the trouble.
Old 02 November 2021, 01:52   #6
krypton2k

Hi Toni, thanks for all your hard work on Winuae it has brought much to joy over the years. Would you please elaborate on why its not worth the trouble to emulate parallel port sampling? I wouldn't mind having a go at improving it if there isn't a technical limitation.
Old 11 November 2021, 19:30   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Because anything sound related is annoying to program, timing needs to be very accurate and even tiny errors can be easily heard.

It probably gets fixed. Someday.
Old 12 November 2021, 06:28   #8
krypton2k

Fair enough, I don't have much experience with audio programming but I am keen to have a play with the code to see if I can improve it, or at least learn something. It looks like finding a way to get accurate timing between the direct sound record buffer, the Paula emulation and the parallel port is the order of the day. I wonder if it would be easier via port audio and ASIO rather than direct sound?

Last edited by krypton2k; 12 November 2021 at 06:48.
Old 21 November 2021, 04:09   #9
methodman

I didn't try sampling, but I did experiment getting Dr T's KCS Level II mpe to work with tiger and quickscore using a loopmidi driver into Unify by plugin guru. I was able to get VST's to work with the Amiga. The reason I think KCS Level II is so good is the pvg experimentation where the closest competitor on the PC is Band In a Box which is so good I don't want to chance wrecking it. So I would rather use the midi Kontakt drumkits with groove monkee beats fed into Dr T's and created into a sequencer database to discover which drum patterns work together and develop how to hear to the correct beats. There is so much eye candy in new programs that it distracts me from the real purpose I want to explore. The only thing missing is that the quick score prints the midi rhythm, but doesn't run a song pointer through it.
Old 25 November 2021, 07:06   #10
krypton2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypton2k View Post
Fair enough, I don't have much experience with audio programming but I am keen to have a play with the code to see if I can improve it, or at least learn something. It looks like finding a way to get accurate timing between the direct sound record buffer, the Paula emulation and the parallel port is the order of the day. I wonder if it would be easier via port audio and ASIO rather than direct sound?
OK replying to myself here, this is much harder than I thought but will persist.
Old 25 November 2021, 13:14   #11
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Think his life would be much simpler is he used something like 'TAL Sampler' ( https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler ) for sample playback and tweak the playback in the resampler section as per the hardware specs of the desired device (Amiga, Emu II, AM6070, S1000 etc.)