English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 17 January 2022, 11:40   #81
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyMor View Post
So I completed KNIGHTMARE in release 1.1 aided by the shops that allow you to have an upgrade throughout the game. I found the shops in levels 1-5-8 but only in the first I was able to shop. I then discovered shooting like crazy at every corner of the screen other power-ups including one (no spoiler) that left me speechless!

However, we do not think that finding KNIGHTAMERE stores and power-ups becomes a walk, this game is damn hard and does not give anything to anyone, with bosses that will put a strain on our mental freshness.

ADVICE:
- As reported by HOFFMAN, the sword is the best weapon, when double it becomes lethal.
- Always try to have speed as your first Power-up, being agile in KNIGHTMARE is a fundamental thing together with transparency (white "P" stamp).

What can I say, 1986 gameplay mechanics. Imagine how hard this would be without the shops or continues!!!
Old 17 January 2022, 11:45   #82
h0ffman

Also, thanks for confirming the latest version was able to be completed end to end
Old 18 January 2022, 22:23   #83
AmigaBill

Just played the final version and it is ACE. It plays like butta! I love the first loading image too
Old 19 January 2022, 05:12   #84
AmigaBill

OK now I have played it for real and this game is pure evil Just when you think you got it, it rips your head off and sucks out your soul and I LOVE it!! GG H0FF!!! I made it to Level 7 albeit not without many continues.

You know what would be fun? The "Fury Edition" where it is just all 8 boss fights
Old 19 January 2022, 09:20   #85
Graham Humphrey

I was part of a charity fundraising stream on Sunday so I used a chunk of that to show off v1.1 of Knightmare! I only reached level three but I did find a hidden power-up on my run (spoiler alert there so if you don't want the game given away etc etc...)

Sorry for the slight flicker on some of the output and for my general rambling but... live streams eh?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1268649854

(EDIT: I played it in my own time last night and found a level skip too...! This game keeps on giving...)
Old 19 January 2022, 18:52   #86
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyPPC View Post
my favorite
Mine is the boomerang, even thought it is likely to be less effective than the sword.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 19 January 2022 at 21:46.
Old 19 January 2022, 20:36   #87
Biscuit
Baked Produce

I'm finding level skip items. Are they new to 1.1?

Speedrun
Old 19 January 2022, 21:28   #88
Jgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I'm finding level skip items. Are they new to 1.1?

Speedrun
Normally, on the MSX version, the level skip item only shows up once you have played and beaten the current level and most probably "also beaten the skipped level too, someone can confirm?"

If you turn off the MSX, and start the game again there won't be any skip level items.
Old 19 January 2022, 22:00   #89
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
Normally, on the MSX version, the level skip item only shows up once you have played and beaten the current level and most probably "also beaten the skipped level too, someone can confirm?"

If you turn off the MSX, and start the game again there won't be any skip level items.
this was a decision by me to be fair. I wrote the code which disables them unless you've already played that level but disabled it. I figured why not..
Old 19 January 2022, 23:17   #90
kempy

Thanks h0ffman and company for this little gem (msx/gfx/improved gameplay). I've just finished it on real machine (a1240) thanks to this infinite continuation system. 3x speed i bought in shop was enough to go through all levels without skipping.

PS. I've accidentally got MSX1 few months ago and original Knightmare was one of the games for the system that attracted me more than 5 mins. So i was really excited to see Amiga version.
Old 20 January 2022, 03:38   #91
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Just to mention that I played it on MiSTer FPGA with all roms and configurations (ADF) and only thing that I had issue with - me being bad player and not being able to pass first boss.

Thank you for this release! Game is challenging, but fun, and score is great.
Old 21 January 2022, 15:19   #92
Paulthetall

Nice work! Found a bug though. When you play a using joystick what most people do all works fine. But the game should also work with keyboard, and that's for most part true, but on my A1200 when I play this with cursor keys, I can't shoot when I walk down... It does when walking up. This does work on a joystick for me.

Oh, and i think I found the hidden secret power up, the king chess emblem? I only have no idea what the power-up does, I did hear the sound which comes with it when getting it, but nothing happens or changes in my situation.

Last edited by Paulthetall; 21 January 2022 at 15:31.
Old 21 January 2022, 21:30   #93
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulthetall View Post
Nice work! Found a bug though. When you play a using joystick what most people do all works fine. But the game should also work with keyboard, and that's for most part true, but on my A1200 when I play this with cursor keys, I can't shoot when I walk down... It does when walking up. This does work on a joystick for me.

Oh, and i think I found the hidden secret power up, the king chess emblem? I only have no idea what the power-up does, I did hear the sound which comes with it when getting it, but nothing happens or changes in my situation.
You using left or right shift for fire? Swear I tested this and there wasn't a conflict on my keyboard with those keys. To be fair this isn't really a bug but a shortfall with the Amiga keyboard matrix.
Old 21 January 2022, 22:30   #94
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulthetall View Post
There is a readme file in the archive...
Old 22 January 2022, 00:32   #95
Paulthetall

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
There is a readme file in the archive...
* King
You get one more ìPopolonî hero.

Aha!! Thanks
Old 23 January 2022, 11:50   #96
Paulthetall

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
You using left or right shift for fire? Swear I tested this and there wasn't a conflict on my keyboard with those keys. To be fair this isn't really a bug but a shortfall with the Amiga keyboard matrix.
I use spacebar, I will check the shift.
Old 23 January 2022, 14:52   #97
Cool_amigaN

Game runs fine under MorphOS's e-uae with jit enabled. Keep cpu=real to save some precious cpu cycles too. Enable read/write on the adf to save highscores as well. Keyboard arrows left/right+shoot (space) works, but I have a gaming keyboard with anti-ghosting capabilities. Really cool port, what only lacks imho is some animation on the background (on river water, some more frames when opening bridges etc). Great soundtrack and nice addition into having the shop. My only complain is the fact that you lose all of your power ups when you get shot which seems a bit harsh. Managed to get till final boss (stage 7, right?) but I given up. All in all, it's a very good game!
Old 23 January 2022, 18:56   #98
kempy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_amigaN View Post
My only complain is the fact that you lose all of your power ups when you get shot which seems a bit harsh.
That's why you should hunt for hidden stores. Every boost purchased there is permanent.

Quote:
Managed to get till final boss (stage 7, right?) but I given up.
There are 8 stages.
Old 23 January 2022, 19:12   #99
AmyMor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy View Post
That's why you should hunt for hidden stores. Every boost purchased there is permanent.

There are 8 stages.

It's hard and unfair, but it can be done ...

The advice is to find the shops and buy the permanent speed, the speed is 50% of the win.
Old 30 January 2022, 15:41   #100
jurassicman

I've just played a bit with this game (whdload version). After a few attempts I got to the end of level 2.

I was thinking to use the version with the trainer available in the zone. Is that adf based on version 1.0 or 1.1? Is there a "trained" 1.1 version?

Thanks for this new Amiga game!