English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 November 2022, 05:51   #1
MrSandMan

Paula data output for easing mod file works

Hello,
Can WinUAE have a new output file feature that contains all Paula data?
I think that following things can ease mod file works.

- When PCM data is sent to Paula, WinUAE may also write that data to a file without modifying it (without any format conversion) to store original data, and the name of the file may be a UUID or a unique name. When we use sample ripper, WinUAE doesn't write same samples repeatedly, so in my opinion, WinUAE can detect same samples, if it can't, MD5 or something similar can be used to distinguish samples. When a stored sample is sent to Paula, WinUAE can use stored sample's unique name to reference sample in the paula file.
- When sample is played with frequencies or notes (I don't know details of Paula chip so much, but I am planning to learn), the frequencies or notes can be written to the paula file.
- Each record may be represented like a mod file line, and instead of sample references, stored sample data's unique names may be used as I wrote on the first paragraph. Each line may start with a timestamp (maybe unix timestamp integer).
- All other Paula data such as effect, volume, etc. can be stored in this file when any Paula data is processed.

After then WinUAE is able to output Paula data in this format, a lot of tools can be written to support this format. For example, Paula music players, Paula data viewers, Paula format to module converters (at least helpers to create mod files).

Because I don't know the details of Paula chip, I may be wrong on some details of this idea, but in my opinion, at least we can discuss this feature.