English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 June 2014, 05:11   #21
ransom1122

Nice map darkfalzx. You have any more maps to other games?
Old 11 June 2014, 20:36   #22
Qube

Darkfalzx - It's a great remake, how are you finding GM:Studio? I saw that they just released it for free now (includes a splash screen).

Was looking at it GM:S myself recently and there is an import tool by Pasty to import tile maps from Tiled into GM, I imagine that could be useful for remakes as I'm sure you could rip out the raw maps and tiles, tweak them in Tiled and get them into GM. (http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=583235)

Good stuff!

Q;
Old 11 June 2014, 20:48   #23
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfalzx View Post
Dude - did I just waste half a day doing something someone else already done?: )
Can you please link me to the maps this clenched person made?
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=959028&postcount=15
Old 11 June 2014, 22:04   #24
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to darkfalzx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
Darkfalzx - It's a great remake, how are you finding GM:Studio? I saw that they just released it for free now (includes a splash screen).

Was looking at it GM:S myself recently and there is an import tool by Pasty to import tile maps from Tiled into GM, I imagine that could be useful for remakes as I'm sure you could rip out the raw maps and tiles, tweak them in Tiled and get them into GM. (http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=583235)

Good stuff!

Q;
GMS is quite awesome, though it is a piece of software in constant state of flux, as the company keeps adding refining and tweaking features. So if you develop a project - it's a good idea to turn the updater off, as one day your project might stop working for no reason whatsoever. The ability to export to different platforms including PS3/PS4/Vita and Ouya is pretty great as well.

I already have the map of the tree maze (with some corrections) imported into the project... manually - same as I did with the two SOTB3 levels: )
Got Arbraan and some enemy sprite rips too. Might have a part of it playable tonight.

Also have a nice game-selection menu as a front end, though Beasts 1 and 2 just go to black screen now.

PC Link
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...OTB_Legacy.exe

Or if you have an OUYA or an Xperia Play (or don't mind using invisible touch controls):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...acy_Xperia.apk

Oh - and here are the updated tileset and map:

Last edited by darkfalzx; 11 June 2014 at 22:09.
Old 11 June 2014, 22:46   #25
capehorn

Thanks for posting it. I always found it interesting how the Master System [ Show youtube player ] of that strange inaccessible area to the far left. I guess in the Amiga version it was just there to tempt you into making an impossible jump.
Old 12 June 2014, 21:21   #26
Qube

Darkfalzx - checking out your latest build, very good I would say.

Have you thought about scaling the graphics up as an option? (2x, 3x etc). There are a few discussions about this on the GM forum.

Q;
Old 12 June 2014, 21:43   #27
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

What do you mean by that? Just an x2-x3 window? if so - pause the game (Enter, or the Start button on 360 controller) and select the scale you need - works in both SOTB1 and 3.

SOTB1 is partially playable at this point. I got the tree maze implemented as far as the Pit Fiend, but since I lack the art for the plasma punches - destroying the ball does nothing. Although you CAN just punch the boss to death ATM: )

Last edited by darkfalzx; 12 June 2014 at 21:49.
Old 13 June 2014, 22:20   #28
Qube

Darkfalzx - I didn't even realise there was a pause menu with options, yep you already had the scale options in there! You have put a lot into this already, will try and play through it a bit, good stuff!

I also found your secret keys, D - debug info, R - restart... ;-)

Q;
Old 14 June 2014, 03:14   #29
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Hehe - yeah - I have some pretty much cut-and-paste code from my commercial games, so this thing came together quick. If I worked on it as a dedicated project, I could probably finish it within a month.

BTW - you haven't found the N special button that works only while debug is on. It will warp you to the next checkpoint/point of interest, though only in SOTB3.
I added a bunch of stuff to SOTB1. You can now go in and out of the tree maze by way of either the tree or the well. The items you collect are also gone permanently now. For now forgot to lock the well door though.
Old 14 June 2014, 16:00   #30
Qube

Darkfalzx - Have you considered adding a scanline effect like was used in Maldita Castilla (http://www.locomalito.com/maldita_castilla.php) ? Some players may enjoy that.

Are you using OGG or MOD for music, there are some players out there but don't know if they support GM:S (Gm Bassmod comes to mind), but these will probably be Win only. May help keep your package size down.

Great work, gets you wondering about other game remakes and ideas.

Q;

Last edited by Qube; 14 June 2014 at 16:21.
Old 14 June 2014, 17:18   #31
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

I absolutely love tracker formats, and would've loved to use the original MOD music, but so far there is no plugin for GM:S that does that outside of Windows (and even in windows it'll take some crazy rigging).
Out of 10 meg the program is so far, music takes up about 9. What's worse - I only have one level worth of SOTB3 music and two SOTB1 tracks in there so far. I'll keep an eye out for any developments on the MOD plugin, but it doesn't look like anyone out there gives a toss about space conservation anymore: (

I have the scanline/TV effect in one other game I made, and I can try pasting it in (The game - Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge (Plug! Plug!) - is in itself a homage to an old [ Show youtube player ])
Speaking of other remakes - I actually fantasized about finding someone to code an Amiga or Sega Master System version of Phantis, also make the same kind of a "Legacy" pack for that one as well: )
Old 14 June 2014, 18:06   #32
Qube

Darkfalzx - I remember seeing Ultionus on a remake site in the past, neat game and gfx. It's a real shame that GM:S doesn't support tracker formats natively, I suppose they would have to do the necessary work for all the different platform exports, mind you it would be ideal for mobile platforms where the package size could be kept low. Perhaps one day.. but as you say, storage space isn't the issue it once was, even mobile platforms have plenty of memory after all !

Q;
Old 15 June 2014, 01:33   #33
Pyromania

This project is looking better and better every day.
Old 16 June 2014, 10:20   #34
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Oh man!
SOTB1 is such a monster to re-code - that game throws the kitchen sink at you in terms of enemy variety! Even though the patterns are similar, they are just different enough to be a massive pain in the ass!
In either case - the new build has the entire left side of SOTB1 working relatively well minus the sound effects and a few minor glitches. I'm sure tweaking will still be required, as replicating enemy patterns based on pure observation is an imprecise process.
Ripping assets and charting maps is becoming increasingly annoying...

Here is the PC build

And an Android one

Edit: Threw in the between-zone cutscenes and fixed a bug or two. Falling from heights is still glitchy.

Guys - I'm missing SOTB1's less-prominent music tracks - the intro tune, the short, sad tune that plays when you are climbing back out of the well, and the tense tune that kicks in during boss encounters in the tree maze. If anyone has those in mod AND mp3 format - please link me. Also if you ever bothered ripping SOTB1 sound effects - I need those too please.

Last edited by darkfalzx; 16 June 2014 at 18:25.
Old 16 June 2014, 21:38   #35
capehorn

I just played this for the first time today, it's a really really good start, SotB1 especially. Is your intention to make as close to an exact port of the game as possible or would you make changes to improve it (like better collision detect logic, respawn points etc.)?

I can help you out with the mp3s you want if you wish, I don't have the mods though.

Last edited by capehorn; 16 June 2014 at 21:45.
Old 16 June 2014, 22:28   #36
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Have you tried SOTB3's Forest of Zeakras stage? That one is fully beatable and quite fleshed out.
The idea is to initially recreate the games as close as I can (which is a massive challenge in itself), and then go back to bugfix and iron out whatever parts of the original were way too annoying.
This project is quite a challenge, as I have to do a lot of asset-ripping and actual pixel art as some assets have to be redrawn or extended due to much larger gameplay window.
Overall though - the games are already quite different from the originals because of the play window size increase, some more forgiving gravity, and just minor changes here and there...

I'll probably try to do SOTB3's Fort Doormor next - it's a very small stage, ground-wise.
Old 16 June 2014, 22:42   #37
capehorn

I noticed the top of the 'home' tree was different, you could see more of it in your gameplay window. Did you draw the top yourself? If so it was very convincing, fit the original art perfectly.
Old 16 June 2014, 23:23   #38
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Not the only part I had to expand. The tree maze's background had to be expanded vertically, as was the overworld's foreground fence, SOTB3's level-start "old man" image, and some level tile layout changes. Next I'll have to expand the Game Over images to be full-screen, and maybe make the SOTB1's cutscene window larger.
I was also fantasizing about making my own SOTB1 intro based on the actual story from the manual, as the one I ripped from TG16 is small, ugly and completely unrelated to the game's actual story.
Old 16 June 2014, 23:27   #39
s2325
Zone Friend

No, please, no transformation scene from TG16. It's something like intro from Jim Power, should be forgotten.
Old 17 June 2014, 00:24   #40
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

The only thing worse than this TG16 intro is the FM Towns "joke" ending. I respect the original games, and so will keep it as close to the Amiga versions as possible, as I feel most other ports just "didn't get it" or something.

Edit
Also - it might be a good time to ask if someone maybe has un-watermarked SOTB2 maps? My editor can't break it down into tiles properly with that darn thing. Not that I can't rip the tiles manually like I did with SOTB1 and 3, but it would just save me hours of work.

The build has been updated. SOTB1 has a few (glitchy) enemies right of the starting point and a game over screen now. Since I had to expand it from 288x192 to 426x240 I was thinking of breaking it into layers and having it animate, but it's not something I can do with every game over screen, so decided not to.

Last edited by darkfalzx; 17 June 2014 at 18:03.