TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Wink EMPL chitchat aka general discussion

All the things not related to a special vote or game round should go in here
Thread inspired by Graham Humphreys 'EAB/Lemon Super League General Discussion'
Old 01 April 2009, 11:32   #2
AmigaFriend

Ok TCD fine choice.

So I would propose that since we are on the middle of voting for the next round of the Multi Platform League, and many adjustments have already been made to correct the voting, we should only play PC Engine cartridge based games now, and for the next PC Engine round would be open to any game. Or maybe a CD titles exclusive.

What do you say guys?
Old 01 April 2009, 11:42   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The problem is that if we play CD games the image has to be freely available (no closed torrent sites or sites with a registration). So it would be needed that the possible download is posted together with the vote. I would also like to hear what mihcael thinks about playing CD games.
Old 01 April 2009, 11:51   #4
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
The problem is that if we play CD games the image has to be freely available (no closed torrent sites or sites with a registration). So it would be needed that the possible download is posted together with the vote. I would also like to hear what mihcael thinks about playing CD games.
Indeed. The files have to be easily downloadable from the net. We have to check those linkies if they have iso's for download.
Old 01 April 2009, 12:19   #5
john4p
Competition Moderator

Well, they are easily available:

http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?t=18798

I wouldn't mind if we'd just restart the voting round (close and rename the old thread and open a new one) - there are some awesome titles among those CD games.

edit: "It Came From The Desert" CD? I wonder how good that version is.
edit2: Found some screenies - "It" looks terrible: http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games...The_Desert.htm

Last edited by john4p; 01 April 2009 at 12:32.
Old 01 April 2009, 12:25   #6
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Well, they are easily available:

http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?t=18798

I wouldn't mind if we'd just restart the voting round (close and rename the old thread and open a new one) - there are some awesome titles among those CD games.

Yes it seems they are. But on file sharing. You think it's doable this way TCD, for downloading, I mean?
Old 01 April 2009, 12:25   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Nope We can always play the PCE again. I really try to get the schedule running, so I don't want another 'restart' of anything. Like I said in the voting thread no CD games are valid and I really would like to hear from a few more people what they think about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
Yes it seems they are. But on file sharing. You think it's doable this way TCD, for downloading, I mean?
I would prefer not to use file sharing. I really need your opinions about that guys I wouldn't mind playing CD games as long as the way to get them is okay for everyone.
Old 01 April 2009, 17:02   #8
TodaysForgotten

I agree with john, but i can easily be ok with whoever wins this next round and chooses the PCECD. I could definitely love to fire up Nexzr or rayxanber or spriggan or sylphia or zero wing or tokimeki, genocide, klaiden, ginga fukei denesetsu etc etc

as i said, i have most of these games and if i dont have them i can get them. I would have no problem hosting them on my computer via FTP. That way we arent getting bogus or expired links etc.
Old 01 April 2009, 17:10   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:

edit: "It Came From The Desert" CD? I wonder how good that version is.
edit2: Found some screenies - "It" looks terrible: http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games...The_Desert.htm
It's nice, if you like trashy games. It's one of the first games with FMV, so don't expect too much. The gameplay isn't comparable with the Amiga classic. Sharing PCE-CD games is good, but only proper full CD Images, no ISO+Mp3 crap.
Old 01 April 2009, 17:11   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodaysForgotten View Post
as i said, i have most of these games and if i dont have them i can get them. I would have no problem hosting them on my computer via FTP. That way we arent getting bogus or expired links etc.
Now that is a great idea Thanks for the offer TF
Old 02 April 2009, 10:40   #11
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
It's nice, if you like trashy games.
Well, I don't.

But I was surprised to find two reviews which both rated the game pretty high:

http://baetzler.de/vidgames/CD-reviews.var

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/turb...ew/R47692.html

Maybe one day I'll give it a try...
Old 02 April 2009, 10:43   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

There is this fine PC Engine CD thread you know...
Old 02 April 2009, 10:46   #13
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodaysForgotten View Post
I would have no problem hosting them on my computer via FTP. That way we arent getting bogus or expired links etc.
I could also help without any problem. I have dedicated "server" pc (my old Athlon) just for this kind of stuff. I got a 2MB upload rate and unlimited traffic line. So, everything is set up to help for what's needed.
Old 02 April 2009, 10:51   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I'm also sure that Magix would be fine with me uploading the image we currently play on the file server. So as long the game is available somewhere, consider this problem sorted then That said, I would like to hear if it is okay for our friends from Oz too
Old 02 April 2009, 11:13   #15
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I'm also sure that Magix would be fine with me uploading the image we currently play on the file server.
If there is no problem, then this is really the ideal solution.
Old 02 April 2009, 11:20   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
If there is no problem, then this is really the ideal solution.
Since I will only upload the currently played game and delete it after the round is over, I'm pretty sure Magix wouldn't have a problem with it I will ask him before we play the first round with CD games of course
Old 17 April 2009, 08:14   #17
john4p
Competition Moderator

@TF: Yes, I could see what you did there in the video. It's just still hard to do. And after the six turrets it's still not over.

I will continue to use my bombs against the boss. But should I fail I'll use the continues to practice a bit bullet dodging.

Quote:
Go easy with training you get the hand on it.
I just hope there are no savestates involved in this training. We agreed last year to do without savestate-training (practising difficult parts using savestates). I myself used savestates to train each level of Jump 'n Roll and X-Out individually last year. But that's not the way these games are supposed to be played. So we agreed to never use savestates.
Using level passwords to practice is fine (if we obtained those passwords ourselves by playing).

If you used savestate-training, then you probably just missed that rule. You should keep your score and just do without it in the future.

If you didn't use savestate-training I'm really impressed by your skills, xpect!

Last edited by john4p; 17 April 2009 at 08:29.
Old 17 April 2009, 11:39   #18
AmigaFriend

Quote:
I just hope there are no savestates involved in this training. We agreed last year to do without savestate-training (practising difficult parts using savestates). I myself used savestates to train each level of Jump 'n Roll and X-Out individually last year. But that's not the way these games are supposed to be played. So we agreed to never use savestates.
Using level passwords to practice is fine (if we obtained those passwords ourselves by playing).

If you used savestate-training, then you probably just missed that rule. You should keep your score and just do without it in the future.

If you didn't use savestate-training I'm really impressed by your skills, xpect!
Of course not John, when I mean training is starting playing the game, dying, starting again, dying, over and over to learn the tricks of that specific game till you're good enough that the games feels easy on you to do the intrinsic and difficult parts.

Why do you think that I come late to post a score on some rounds of the league? Sometimes is because of work I don't have so much time to dedicate to gaming, but the better part of it is because I'm training.

My favorite retro genres are racing, shooters and platformers. If we were playing RPG's for instance than I would pass.
The only games that I had already played on the past that came up on the league and I played were: Stunt Car Racer and Pinball Fantasies. All the other games I had to learn them from scratch. There are games that motivate me more, others less, as anyone else. For a platformer Superfrog sucked big time for me. Rodland was awesome. In Empl I trully enjoyed just about everygame, but I'm truly enjoying Raiden, because although very dificult, is challenging and that is what brings up the best on the gamer that we all are.

What's the point on cheating? To prove what? Yay, I'm making more 2 billions points than you! Wow what an acomplishment! Congratulations on that...
I started to play these games because it's a good oportunity for me to learn about good games and actually playing them. I have all the Tosec collections with gazillions of games for C64, MSX, Amiga, etc, etc. that i donwloaded in the last 6 months. Of course I try the odd game just to see how they are but from that collection only finished Space Manbow on the MSX2, on the past months.
The leagues are a good excuse for me to finish the games and actually learn them to every detail, just to make that extra points.

And I don't miss the rules, I respect them. Two rounds ago on this league I made a mistake of, on the heat of trying to beat TCD, I used a continue without noticing. After TCD bring that to my attention I promptly invalidated my score without further discussion. So I already said that then, and I make my final statement here.

Making the score I made, came with high levels of concentration and is was nothing short of difficult.
After seeing TF's video, oh man I have much to train, yes sir. I am in no doubt that he will clean sweep this round easily.
Old 17 April 2009, 11:46   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

*cough* These discussions are one of the reasons why I made our cozy 'chitchat' thread (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43831) Thank you for your cooperation
Old 17 April 2009, 11:48   #20
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
What's the point on cheating? To prove what? Yay, I'm making more 2 billions points than you! Wow what an acomplishment! Congratulations on that...
Well, practising using savestates isn't really cheating - Biscuit even allowed it in the Pinball Hall of Fame (still I don't do it).
You can memorize how to overcome difficult parts by practicing them with savestates so you can later easily reproduce them when you do the "clean" run (without savestates).
So it's not really cheating, but an unfair advantage if someone would do this while the others don't.

It was just your wording "training" that made me suspicious if you might have missed the rule.

Good to know you didn't. Sorry if my post sounded like I wanted to accuse you, m8 - that wasn't my intention.
Like I said - I'm all the more impressed by your skill!

edit: @TCD: next time...