English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 October 2022, 02:50   #1
Tavis

A200 External Floppy Drive Port Issues

Hey guys,

So I had a Gotek FLoppy emulator connected to the external port of my A200 and it was working fine but I decided to put the gotten inside the Amiga as DF0 for better compatibility.

I then Decided to try connecting the floppy drive that i pulled out of the amiga to the external interface on FD2.

I was using an EFi - External floppy interface to connect the gotten to the external floppy port on the amiga.

ONce I connect the floppy drive to this instead of the Gotek, at first a "bad" FD2 disk showed up on the desktop but the floppy drive never spun up. Now I am not seeing 5V off the interface and I am wondering if I somehow fried my external drive port on the amiga.

Anyone know what could have happened? And how I can determine if my port is bad and what I can do to repair it?

I also tried to connect both the gotek on fd0 and the floppy drive as fd1 but had no luck. Not even after change the jumper on the drove from sd0 to sd1.

I am just trying to find a way to be able to have both a physical floppy drive and the gotek so I can back up disks to the gotek.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01 October 2022, 17:45   #2
Leon Besson
Banned

A200? This is a Amiga then?
Old 02 October 2022, 03:05   #3
Tavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
A200? This is a Amiga then?
Yeah an Amiga 2000 and the EFI external floppy interface (http://wiki.archi-tech.com.pl/pl/EFi_v1) connected to a stock Amiga floppy drive.

I think what may have happened is i had the jumpers wrong causing the drive not to spin and I thought it was a power issue so i tested the +5v on the connector and may have accidentally shorted it to GND causing the internal F4 fuse to blow.

I need to replace the fuse. I confirmed it is blown. and then maybe try again with different jumper settings. A little confused as to why the interface only provides 5V but the connector to an internal floppy drive supplies 5V and 12v.
Old 02 October 2022, 16:41   #4
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavis View Post
A little confused as to why the interface only provides 5V but the connector to an internal floppy drive supplies 5V and 12v.
Probably 12v is for 5.25 inch drives.
Old 02 October 2022, 17:21   #5
Tavis

Ahhh ok
Old 03 October 2022, 13:26   #6
Daedalus

5V and 12V is standard for both 3.5" and 5.25" internal drive connectors, and older floppy drives (both 3.5" and 5.25") did use 12V as well as 5V. More modern 3.5" drives tend to use 5V only, so it's possible the interface makes this assumption. The external floppy port on all Amigas provides 12V as well as 5V to allow for older drive mechanisms.
Old 13 October 2022, 03:57   #7
Tavis

Well I fixed the blown fuse and got my DF2 external port working again but I am still unable to get my internal floppy drive to work using the EFi - External floppy interface. It works with the Gotek but no matter what I try, when connecting the Amiga floppy drive to it, the drive never spins up.

Anyone have any ideas? I am using a newer model EFi - External floppy interface: http://wiki.archi-tech.com.pl/pl/EFi_v1

I confirmed the Amiga floppy drive works fine connected to the internal cables as DF0 and DF1 and I confirmed the Gotek works both as an internal DF0 and an external DF2 with the interface adapter. The adapter just wont control the Amiga floppy drive. tried as many jumper configurations I can think of.