English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 July 2022, 14:29   #1
Paulthetall

Settlers "Multiplayer" Parallel port wish

Wishes wishes, what if....if only....moments.

For me it would be so awesome if we would have a "remake"/"Addon"/"Option"
to play Settlers multiplayer on 2 separate Amigas using network (parallels cable) or something like that. Now there is only an option split screen with 2 mice. Nice try of course, but split screen with already little space on the screen, makes it really much less enjoyable if you have the full screen at you disposal.

So here the what if/if only question to any Dev to make that possible somehow, that would be amazing/Awesome and bring a never-ending gratitude!!
Old 07 July 2022, 11:52   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well if someone has the full source code available and a dark room with a pizza tree in it, they might be able to do it in a couple of years.
Old 07 July 2022, 12:01   #3
DisasterIncarna

dont know about settlers multiplayer but that pizza tree sounds pretty tempting.
Old 07 July 2022, 12:15   #4
Daedalus

There's an open source Settlers engine ("Freeserf") that might be an easier starting point to add multiplayer to, though being a modern remake using SDL, it might need a beefy Amiga to run it. It runs well on OS4 machines though...
Old 07 July 2022, 21:26   #5
Vegas

Apparently Settlers on the Amiga was coded completely in assembly by Volker Wertich. The people at Blue Byte who did the DOS port had a hard time, since among other things there were no comments. (Source: https://www.stayforever.de/2017/06/d...dler-folge-67/ - in german)

So, even if the Amiga sources would be available (which seems unlikely to happen), it would probably be difficult to do much with it.

There is also a Remake called "Serflings". I have not tried it yet but according to the page it supports multiplayer via LAN (1 on 1). You will need original files of the DOS version however. https://www.simpleguide.net/sg/serflings.jsf (again, in german)

Last edited by Vegas; 07 July 2022 at 21:58.
Old 07 July 2022, 22:04   #6
Selur

All amiga good games source codes are not availlable... they will keep it until death because they are "CEBULAKI" which means "greedy assholes"
Old 17 July 2022, 09:38   #7
Twiggy
\m/

Similar discussion here
Old 20 July 2022, 17:29   #8
nicymike

Hey, I am the author of Serflings, the remake of settlers 1 mentioned by Vegas.

I created the remake by working through the disassembled code of the DOS exe file which is similar to the source code because Settlers 1 is written in Assembler. Nevertheless it is a difficult and time consuming process to recover the game logic using this process.
Although it was not the Amiga version, the game should be almost the same. I also plan to support the graphics and sounds from the Amiga version some day.

Multiplayer is also available in Serflings as Vegas stated.

Even though I started gaming on a 286 PC I am sad that many good old games are long-forgotten today. Serflings was my idea to preserve this history.

Btw: The game and the website for Serflings is available in english.
Old 20 July 2022, 18:37   #9
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
All amiga good games source codes are not availlable... they will keep it until death because they are "CEBULAKI" which means "greedy assholes"
Isn't that the natural state of majority of amiga commercial projects? o_O
Old 21 July 2022, 17:49   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Isn't that the natural state of majority of amiga commercial projects? o_O
Mm just commercial products in general. With a few notable exceptions of course.

I'm sure there are plenty of devs that would be more than glad to release source code today. But they don't own the code.