English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 December 2021, 05:32   #1
philbert71

Do you know of any 80s/90s Amiga developers still making Amiga (or Amiga-like) games?

So far I have found the following:

-Software Amusements has released a remastered Mutation Gold Compilation CD32 iso on itch.io. It includes Cyberpunks, Doodlebug and others.

-System 3 released a remaster of Putty Squad (PS3/PS4/PS Vita/3DS/Xbox 360/Windows). Plus indirectly the AGA version.

-Confused Pelican has released Iron Fisticle on Steam and Iron Crypticle (PS4/Steam/Switch/Xbox One). Also, Confused Pelican's Amiga titles Morton Strikes Back, Og/Trog, and Erik are free on http://confusedpelicangames.com/oldgames.html

-Mr Qwak has released Retro Racing for iOS, which is similar to the developer's previous Amiga racing games Nitro and ATR: All Terrain Racing.

-West Coast Software released D/Generation HD on Steam, which would be improved if the full-height walls disappeared at the moment you enter a room.

Also, Cope-Com released Battle Squadron ONE on iOS but it has since disappeared from the iTunes App Store

Last edited by philbert71; 03 December 2021 at 05:33. Reason: typo correction
Old 03 December 2021, 13:55   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There are countless big name companies still publishing games for non Amiga platforms. While they may no longer represent an "Amiga game" the series started or continued on Amiga
  • Team17 (Worms, Alien Breed)
  • Codemasters (Dizzy on NES probably others)
  • EA (Bullfrog) (FIFA, John Madden, PGA Golf etc)
  • Acclaim
  • Bethesda
  • Capcom
  • Square Enix (Eidos)
  • MicroProse
  • Ubisoft
  • Many more I got bored

Last edited by alexh; 03 December 2021 at 14:03.
Old 03 December 2021, 14:31   #3
Photon

I think most if not all of the programmers making games for Amiga now were making games or demos in the 80s/90s. I think if you drop them an email they'll corroborate

Apple's app store is expensive to support. 100 EUR/year and 40% cut until recently means a game must sell for 167 EUR/year to break even (no profit). Apple can unpublish your app at any time for any reason, and you will need someone to update the app once or twice per year as Apple changes terms and deprecates its own code base at a rapid pace. These are some reasons Battle Squadron is not found.
Old 03 December 2021, 21:42   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
There are countless big name companies still publishing games for non Amiga platforms. While they may no longer represent an "Amiga game" the series started or continued on Amiga
[list][*]Square Enix (Eidos)
Square (or Enix) ever did anything on the Amiga? I don't think so, they were doing only console stuff.
Old 03 December 2021, 21:47   #5
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I think most if not all of the programmers making games for Amiga now were making games or demos in the 80s/90s. I think if you drop them an email they'll corroborate

Apple's app store is expensive to support. 100 EUR/year and 40% cut until recently means a game must sell for 167 EUR/year to break even (no profit). Apple can unpublish your app at any time for any reason, and you will need someone to update the app once or twice per year as Apple changes terms and deprecates its own code base at a rapid pace. These are some reasons Battle Squadron is not found.
I'm not sure you need to pay 99$/year if you're not releasing any new udapte or new stuff. An old program/game can stay without paying AFAIK if it is following Apple rules.
Battle Squadron is not there any more because it hasn't been compiled for 64bit and 32bit app/game has been deprecated.
IIRC the Apple cut is now 15% if you don't earn a lot of money which most don't. Jeff Minter never made any money on the mobile market hence left it.
Old 05 December 2021, 20:48   #6
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
[*]MicroProse

Not impressed with the stuff they've been advertising. All seems to be very basic conversions of some classic games or jut using the name for something completely un-related.

The screenshots and videos all seem very 2008 rather than 2020+ quality of graphics etc.
Old 05 December 2021, 21:37   #7
kriz

Had to check Microprose again, and their latest published game seems very nice imho... HighFleet : [ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 December 2021, 04:08   #8
philbert71

Thank you for your replies,

I am most interested in remasters by the original programmers (e.g. https://epicskidmarks.com/) and original Amiga titles released on the programmer's official website (e.g. http://www.factor5.com/downloads.shtml) but ideally ones that I can support by purchasing something new.

Last edited by philbert71; 07 December 2021 at 05:08. Reason: typo