English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 22 August 2021, 01:33   #1
BarryB
Amigaholic

AUI Superdisks 53 & 54, can't create disks d, e & f

So, have these disks, Amiga User International Superdisks 53 & 54, you can only boot Superdisk 53 as our good friend Denis has identified Superdisk 54 is in fact a Disk Spare formatted disk so can't be accessed directly, it also needs an Amiga with 1mb Chip Ram.

Note: I'm using these in WinUAE using a CT RAW of Superdisk 54 I made with my Kryoflux, Denis later sent me proper IPF's but the CT RAW works OK too!

Now, if you boot Superdisk 53 it will ask for Superdisk 54 when creating disks c, g & h (you just insert blank disks when asked), disks a & b are created from Superdisk 53 and disks d, e & f are created from disk c, following me so far?

Now, here is the problem! Once disk c is created and you open it from Workbench, it has a conversion script to create disks d, e & f in the Conversion folder! What it does is take some JPEG files and convert them to IFF and save then to an FFS formatted disk. BUT, when it starts converting the JPEGs they are over 0.5mb each and it's trying to put 4 of these on disk d, which it simply cannot do. When I manually converted all the JPEGs to IFF (10 of them) they take up 6mb and the conversion script is trying to put 4 IFFs on disk d, 3 IFFs on disk e and 3 IFFs on disk f, but the conversion fails on saving the second IFF to disk as the Disk Full message pops up.

So, has anyone ever gone through the pain of trying to create disks d, e & f? I just can't understand how the script expects 2mb of files to fit on a single 879K FFS disk, what the hell is going on??

Have uploaded an ADF of Superdisk 53 and a CT RAW of Superdisk 54 to The Zone, disks a, b, c, g & h can be created without a problem, just can't create disks d, e & f!!
Old 22 August 2021, 09:37   #2
Exodous

The installation script makes a fatal assumption.

It assumes that you have installed the specific "JFIF" datatype present in AUIMAR95c:jfif_dtc

It then copies specific quality settings for that datatype to ENV and ENVARC so that, when the conversion is run, using this datatype, it uses their specified settings.

However, if you have another datatype on your system capable of managing JPEG files, for example the standard Commodore "JPEG" datatype from the storage disk, their settings will be ignored it will use the default conversion settings. This then results in files that are too big to fit on the floppy disks.

You can manually convert the images by opening a shell, creating a folder and entering it with the following commands (assuming you want to use dh1:textures as your folder)

Code:
makedir dh1:textures
dh1:textures
Insert AUIMAR95c in any drive and then running the following in the shell:

Code:
AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/m01.jpg m01.iff
AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/m05.jpg m05.iff
AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/m08.jpg m08.iff
AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/s18.jpg s18.iff
AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/m19.jpg m19.iff
AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/o05.jpg o05.iff
AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/o08.jpg o08.iff
AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/paper.jpg paper.iff
AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/s02.jpg s02.iff
AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/s04.jpg s04.iff
Old 22 August 2021, 09:58   #3
Exodous

I've just uploaded a zip to the zone "AUI-March-95-Textures-ADF-and-IFF.zip"

In there, you will find:
  • The 3 generated ADFs for disks d, e, f.
  • A folder with the textures converted using the AUI supplied JFIF datatype (copied from the above ADFs)
  • A folder with the textures converted using the Commodore OS 3.1 JPEG datatype
Old 22 August 2021, 12:20   #4
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodous View Post
The installation script makes a fatal assumption.

It assumes that you have installed the specific "JFIF" datatype present in AUIMAR95c:jfif_dtc

It then copies specific quality settings for that datatype to ENV and ENVARC so that, when the conversion is run, using this datatype, it uses their specified settings.

However, if you have another datatype on your system capable of managing JPEG files, for example the standard Commodore "JPEG" datatype from the storage disk, their settings will be ignored it will use the default conversion settings. This then results in files that are too big to fit on the floppy disks.

You can manually convert the images by opening a shell, creating a folder and entering it with the following commands (assuming you want to use dh1:textures as your folder)

Code:
makedir dh1:textures
 dh1:textures
Insert AUIMAR95c in any drive and then running the following in the shell:

Code:
AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/m01.jpg m01.iff
 AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/m05.jpg m05.iff
 AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/m08.jpg m08.iff
 AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/s18.jpg s18.iff
 AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/m19.jpg m19.iff
 AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/o05.jpg o05.iff
 AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/o08.jpg o08.iff
 AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/paper.jpg paper.iff
 AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/s02.jpg s02.iff
 AUIMAR95c:xtoilbm2/xtoilbm2 AUIMAR95c:jpegs/s04.jpg s04.iff
So that's the issue, datatypes, did wonder as I have a registered Warp DT installed in my A1200 WinUAE setup! I also manually converted exactly like in your examples as those are in the script so just altered the output path and got the oversized IFF's, probably due to WarpDT! I then tried in my vanilla 3.1.4 setup but that failed as well, it went through the conversion but no IFF's were written to any disks?

Another issue, if you have DF1: enabled there is a message 'Could you put this disk in df1: (external drive) please?' what disk is it referring to, Superdisk53, Superdisk54 or a blank disk? I disabled DF1: and just used DF0: but it still wouldn't work, keeps asking to insert disc c then moans disk e isn't inserted and gets in a right mess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodous View Post
I've just uploaded a zip to the zone "AUI-March-95-Textures-ADF-and-IFF.zip"

In there, you will find:
  • The 3 generated ADFs for disks d, e, f.
  • A folder with the textures converted using the AUI supplied JFIF datatype (copied from the above ADFs)
  • A folder with the textures converted using the Commodore OS 3.1 JPEG datatype

Thank you, nothing I tried under WinUAE worked for me!
Old 22 August 2021, 20:21   #5
BarryB
Amigaholic

Just tried a vanilla Workbench 3.0 setup in WinUAE (as I think it's the first OS that introduced Dataypes) with A1200 + 2mb Chip + 8mb Fast + 3.0 ROM and I still get NOTHING written to disk d even though the conversion says it's converted all 4 files?

Did find out the message 'Could you put this disk in df1: (external drive) please?' actually means disk c if the conversion script is run from DF0:, but when I did put it in DF1: and it asked for a spare disk in DF0: no IFF's get written to the disk in DF0:, I just don't understand what the problem is?

Looking at the disks, d & e have lots of read me files and a 'c' folder and disk f is empty? It just doesn't copy the IFF's to the disks even though it LOOKS like it is?
Old 22 August 2021, 22:08   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

So now I've figured out what was going wrong!

The key is what Exodous wrote: "It assumes that you have installed the specific "JFIF" datatype present in AUIMAR95c:jfif_dtc" and of course I hadn't done that 'assuming' a vanilla install of WB3.0 would suffice!

But to install the datatype you still have to jump through hoops:

1. There is no 'Installer' program in WB3.0 so you have to manually copy it to 'c' from the root of the WB3.0 Install disk or get it off Aminet!
2. You can't run the JFIF installer from disk c as it wants to install to it so you have to copy the 'jfif_dtc' folder to hard drive and run the installer from there!

Only after jumping through all those hoops and running the conversion script again did it then happily load the JPEGs and show a nice jfif.datatype popup showing the progress and then writing the IFF's to disk!
Old 23 August 2021, 08:42   #7
Exodous

I see you've sorted it out, but I found without any JPEG compatible datatype installed, the disks got created, but had no IFF files present. It looks like the conversion tool runs, reads the jpeg file in and then exits without writing anyting and without displaying any error messages.
Old 23 August 2021, 18:55   #8
BarryB
Amigaholic

Yes, that's what it did, just did the whole conversion for each disk in one go without showing any progress or writing any IFF files to disk!

I wonder how many people ran into the same issue all those years ago?