English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 07 February 2013, 20:58   #61
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcripon View Post
Frode, I know you have set up a Google group for discussion of the game database, but it is simpler for me to ask questions here. Also, those questions are a little more advanced questions on the database than where I am at right now.
No problem

Quote:
Anyway, here are my questions:
1. How can I add a new variant to the game database? I read the documentation, but I could have easily missed what I needed to do. In my example, I have a version of Deluxe Galaga that came on my Amiga Forever DVD. It is an HDF file, but it does not appear to be a WHDLoad file so it is not picked up when I refresh the database.
Regarding new variants in the database: Currently, I have not opened an interface for adding variants. Variants are semi-automatically created from various sources, but mostly TOSEC DATs. And it is not generally useful (from the database perspective) to be able to add "personal" variants to the online database with modified disks for example. Only files which are likely to be shared between a larger group of people are useful to index. Being able to add private variants, either online or locally only, but mixed in with the official game variants can of course be useful but that's another matter.

But content from Amiga Forever is obviously a great candidate to be index by the database since these files will be shared by a larger set up people

The problem with the HDFs are that these are modified when they are used, so the when used, the HDFs will no longer match the entries in the database (checksums are used). Another issue is that they will not be compatible with net play -which all existing variants generally are.

One possible solution to this is to have FS-UAE create a copy of the HDF when starting the game the first time, and store this copy in the state dir (and only use this copy, not the original HDF). This way, such a variant would work like the rest of the database (original files are not touched, only changes are stored in the state dir). It would still not be compatible with net play, but that in itself is no reason to exclude it from the database.

Quote:
2. After I do a refresh, usually I lose a game or two in the launcher. The most popular game to disppear is Arkanoid II: Revenge of Doh. If I move my configuration file out of the directory and move it back in and restart FS-UAE Launcher, it appears. I am not sure why that happens. Bob C
This is definitively a bug. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem and/or find some likely explanation for it. There's probably a bug in the "garbage collection" routine to clear out old no longer existing configurations from the database.
Old 08 February 2013, 02:43   #62
bcripon

Frode,

Thanks for the explanation. It certainly makes sense. If you can design something to accommodate the Amiga Forever files, that would be great.

Bob C
Old 10 February 2013, 12:39   #63
Thomas Magnum

Magnetic Scrolls, Infocom, Level9 etc.

Hi Fode,

just one question in general: could you please add the very classic Magnetic Scrolls adventures (The Pawn, Guild Of Thieves, jinxter, Corruption, Fish, Myth, Wonderland) or the INFOCOM family (e.g. Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, Leather Godesses Of Phobos, Planetfall etc.), Level9 (e.g. Mindshadow) and games in the family, e.g. Knight Orc etc.

I know, these games are mostly text-based and especially Magnetic Scrolls have these well-known title-screens and in-game screens which made the Amiga famous in the mid/end-eighties. And of course - the INFOCOM games are the most cross-system classic things on the planet :-)

Best,
Tom
Old 10 February 2013, 12:43   #64
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi Thomas, I'll add the games you mentioned! Please elaborate on the "etc" if you want those games added now as well
Old 10 February 2013, 12:55   #65
Goingdown

I do not dare to request anything from you Frode, but I would kindly just suggest some games I really like:

Gold box RPG games from SSI (specifically the Krynn series, Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn and The Dark Queen of Krynn.
Old 10 February 2013, 13:16   #66
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

All games which have been explicitly mentioned (by Goingdown, Thomas Magnum) are now added to the database. I don't want to guess which games you mean, so please mention them by name and not just series
Old 10 February 2013, 13:53   #67
Thomas Magnum

Hi FRode ;-) ("R" key has been flooded last week and the mac keyboards are practically unrepairable ;-)

ok - here are the games - they mostly had very advanced boxing and includes)

Magnetic Scrolls/Rainbird

The Pawn
The Guild Of Thieves
Jinxter
Coruption
Fish! (I forgot the "!" - sorry)
Myth (official, but not public, just for UK adventure circle, each disk usually had name+number+password, but its avaiable without)
Wonderland

INFOCOM - here we go...

(in DB :-) Zork I: The Great Underground Empire
(in DB :-) Zork II: The Wizard of Frobozz
(in DB :-) Zork III: The Dungeon Master
(in DB :-) Zork Zero: The Revenge of Megaboz
Beyond Zork: The Coconut of Quendor
Zork: The Undiscovered Underground
Enchanter
Sorcerer
Spellbreaker
Planetfall
Stationfall
Deadline
Starcross
Suspended: A Cryogenic Nightmare
Infidel
The Witness
Cutthroats
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Seastalker
Suspect
A Mind Forever Voyaging
Wishbringer: The Magick Stone of Dreams
Ballyhoo
Hollywood Hijinx
Leather Goddesses of Phobos
Moonmist
Trinity
Border Zone
Bureaucracy
The Lurking Horror
Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It
Plundered Hearts
Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown Jewels
Arthur: The Quest for Excalibur
Shogun
Journey

Level9/Rainbird:

Knight Orc
Lancelot
Ingrid's Back
Gnome Ranger
Scapeghost
Time And Magik

Rainbird:

Jewels Of Darkness
Legend Of The Sword

I played just a few, because of the poor school english in these times,but the games are timeless and a lot of people like them today, too. just like reading a good book.

so far, so many

I forgot Interplay's Tass Times in Tonetown ;-)

...and "Borrowed Time" by Activision

oh an Mindshadow (as named in my first post) by Activision, too

very good adventure.

Now I'm done

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 10 February 2013 at 14:06. Reason: merged posts
Old 10 February 2013, 17:04   #68
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Wow, that was.. *many* game requests -This is no problem though, especially seeing that you've started to upload images (etc) for the games I added before. That is important though, because I don't want to import too large sets of games which just "sits there" not being tested and/or without metadata.

So as long as you are interested in help with adding metadata for the games (and also start at least one variant for each game, verify that it works, and mark it as OK in the database), I'll add the games
Old 10 February 2013, 21:53   #69
Thomas Magnum

Hey Frode,

thx very much for adding this bunch of games - and yes, I am very interested in checking and entering meta info, but I'm sorry for the long delay. I always checked the DB and looked and checked and realized that this cool, but was very low on free time - and thats a big problem for me. But I'll try my best! VERY GOOD JOB, FRODE!

best,
Tom
Old 11 February 2013, 17:44   #70
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

No problem, I'll add the requested games in the next batch or two
Old 14 February 2013, 06:14   #71
Goingdown

I realized that it would be much easier (for me at least) to ask Frode to add my games to database than to add all info + screenshots manually. So here is list of my manually added games, could you add these to database at some point:

Sabre Team (normal + aga)
Battletech The Crescent Hawk's inception
Asterix operation Getafix
688 Attack Sub
Airborne Ranger
Chrono Quest
Hard Drivin (1 & 2)
Hostages

I have more but here is the ones that come to my mind right now.

Thanks
Old 14 February 2013, 19:23   #72
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingdown View Post
I realized that it would be much easier (for me at least) to ask Frode to add my games to database than to add all info + screenshots manually
Yes, and it's much better if everyone can enjoy your work

I have added the following games: Sabre Team, Battletech: The Crescent Hawk’s inception, Asterix: Operation Getafix, 688 Attack Sub, Airborne Ranger, Chrono Quest, Hard Drivin, Hard Drivin’ II: Drive Harder, Hostages.

@Thomas Magnum: More games from your list added: Beyond Zork: The Coconut of Quendor, Zork: The Undiscovered Underground, Enchanter, Sorcerer, Spellbreaker, Stationfall, Deadline.
Old 23 February 2013, 09:47   #73
Goingdown

I actually have huge list of new requests (about 50), but I will send it when you finish Thomas Magnums one first.
Old 23 February 2013, 12:33   #74
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I have added all the games in Thomas Magnum's list, feel free to suggest entries at any time.

I think it's overall more motivating (for everyone) to prioritize adding games which someone wants to see in the database. But nothing stands in the way of both adding some games in alphabetical order *and* add requested games

But a report nexusle suggested - showing games listed by entry date - will surely be useful.
Old 25 February 2013, 01:10   #75
bcripon

Detecting ADF file

Frode,

How does the online game database detect an ADF file. I have an ADF file for Arkanoid 1.05 that matches the SHA1 value for the US ESI value in database, but it is not being seen by the game database as a match. I tried changing the filename to match what I found in the game database, but that did not help either.

Thanks for your help.

Bob C
Old 25 February 2013, 01:32   #76
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Is it in one of the paths that are shown at the bottom half of the scan dialog? Just tried it myself here with the 'Arkanoid v1.05 (1988-03-31)(Discovery)(US)[cr ESI]' from TOSEC and it worked fine.
Old 25 February 2013, 20:11   #77
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Frode, How does the online game database detect an ADF file.
Like has been said, matching is done by checksum. So if the SHA-1 checksum is the same, the most likely problem is that it's not indexed by the Launcher database. If you have added the file to a previously scanned directory, you need to rerun the "scan for files" function.

(Name does not matter, but it must end with .adf -or at least a recognized extension, since unknown files are not indexed).
Old 26 February 2013, 03:18   #78
bcripon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Like has been said, matching is done by checksum. So if the SHA-1 checksum is the same, the most likely problem is that it's not indexed by the Launcher database. If you have added the file to a previously scanned directory, you need to rerun the "scan for files" function.

(Name does not matter, but it must end with .adf -or at least a recognized extension, since unknown files are not indexed).
I was really afraid you were going to say that. I have checked the SHA-1 checksum between what is listed in the game database (03b09f157467839e577b05753c4579d708853963) and my ADF file and they are identical. The filename is: Arkanoid v1.05 (1988-03-31)(Discovery)(US)[cr ESI].adf. The Mac sees the extension as .adf.

I did refresh the game configurations from the database. I know it worked because Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh appeared as a new entry alongside my manual configuration for that game.

I did download 2.1.30 in case that would make a difference. This is working for other people, but I do not know why that particular ADF file is not picked up by the game database. It is very strange.

Bob C
Old 26 February 2013, 09:29   #79
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Can you upload your disk to the zone?
Old 26 February 2013, 11:22   #80
nexusle
Banned

I think there is a problem with the search source. Maybe the location of that ADF isn't indexed. On other hand it could be @bcripon does the wrong search. If so please take a new search under the first point in the FS-UAE Launcher menu (first icon left in the icon bar of FS-UAE Launcher).

Last edited by prowler; 30 August 2013 at 03:02. Reason: Rewind.