English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 07 November 2006, 12:03   #1
Anubis
Retro Gamer

WHDLoad - NTSC and screen offset

I’ve been using WHDLoad some time ago on emulation, but yesterday it was first time that I was able to use it on real hardware. As I’m living in USA I have to live with NTSC and its limitation. But what rally made some games non-playable in WHDLoad is offset of the screen. My screen is moved to the right and bottom and in view screen I don’t see either one of them.

I adjusted system screen (and was hopping WHDLoad will use the same settings) but WHDLoad screen is still off.

Most of the games I tried yesterday I wasn’t able to play and for some like Pinball Illusion I completely can not see bottom of the screen or in the case of SoccerKid I couldn’t see cards on the bottom of the screen at all.

Is there any way to have this fixed? What games do work correct in NTSC?

Thanks!
Old 08 November 2006, 01:34   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

If the game is PAL and uses the full screen, why don't you just run them in PAL mode with the PAL tooltype?

Sadly most games are NTSC which really annoys 90% of the Amiga world that uses PAL! Easy enough to check games yourself by looking in HOL and see if they have the horrid black strip at the top and bottom of the screen.

BTW WHDLoad is just running the games as they would run if you booted from floppy. There is nothing to "fix"
Old 08 November 2006, 12:08   #3
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Hi Codetapper, thanks for reply.

I live in USA, so that explains that NTSC problem.

Now I'm confused. If this is how game would work, then my screen is offset. I'm using AV cable to connect it to my TV.

Is there any way to adjust this on real hardware?

I adjusted my workbench on Amiga (had to move sides and resize it). Is it possible for WHDLoad to have eaither Tool Type or something in prefs that will tell the WHDLOad to use the same offset as workbench?
Old 21 January 2010, 15:03   #4
EmuChicken

I live now in Japan and this annoys the hell out of me, some games are unplayable, but Id like to say thanks towards Codetapper for adding the "raising the status bar" for NTSC users on Super Cars 2... that helped a lot

I know its kind of a request, but is it possible to ask for some games to be "fixed" for NTSC screens? - in the same way Super Cars 2 is (with the custom3=1 tooltype)

Heres one main game for the list:

It Came From the Desert

Not being able to read what people say, completely destroys the meaning of the game ;/
pants!
Old 27 January 2010, 21:20   #5
Wepl

@Anubis: your tv doesn't support PAL?
@EmuChicken: what display device? monitor? tv?

as Codetapper told: PAL option should solve it as long as dev supports pal, if not bad luck, all the games would need individual adaptions and I see nobody doing that