English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 09 March 2011, 02:21   #1
SpeedGeek

Question Genesis TCP/IP Quick Reconnect Possible?

Hi!

I would like to know if anyone has found a way to have Genesis do a "Quick Reconnect" on dialup connections.

Miami has this feature which works most of the time but sometimes fails. This feature is useful if your Amiga crashes or needs to be rebooted for some reason.

First, I set up a modem init string so the modem stays connected on reboot. Then I tried to set up a second No Dial interface without success.

I even tried to have the interface do a "ParseIP" and full login script before going online. The last thing I tried was a Static connection using PPP parameters from the initial connection, again no luck. (The initial connection is Dynamic).

Is appp.device brain dead? Did I miss something simple? Thanks in advance for your ideas and solutions.

P.S. I didn't try the DHCP hack from Aminet because it appears to be for SLIP connections.

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 09 March 2011 at 13:43.
Old 26 April 2011, 03:16   #2
OverDose
Lover of teh classic

sounds scriptable. Monitor the connection, and restart if the connection is down. Maybe can monitor the modem direct with AT commands, or you could ping something, also appears to be AREXX to monitor interface status.
Looks to be AREXX commands to online/offline the interface, too. But I'm not sure if these are just for the TCP/IP interface or will also run the dialer script.
Old 26 April 2011, 15:39   #3
SpeedGeek

AREXX doesn't give you anything more than you can do with the Genesis built in dial script or GUI. The AT commands control the Modem only.

With an external modem it's very easy to see the connection status from the indicator LED's. This is not a Modem connection issue it's an issue with appp.device and trying to re-establish a ppp connection with the Modem still connected.
Old 26 April 2011, 16:00   #4
OverDose
Lover of teh classic

So, ppp connection is originating at the Amiga? So, if the amiga forgets what is going on (crash, restart, etc), you want for the amiga to connect again over the established modem connection somehow without redialing? So, basically, just resend the ppp initiation and authentication?
Sounds like that should be doable. It seems to me that these layers should be separate enough that you can do that, establish the modem connection, establish the ppp connection, establish TCP traffic. And re-establish any from top down (or bottom up depending on how you are looking at it).