English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 05 May 2002, 03:51   #1
Nico

Question RNC Data File Depacker v2.1

Get ready for a REAL newbie question!!!

I'm trying to use RNC Data File Depacker v2.1, but I keep getting an "Unable to open redirection file" message...I'm guessing this is coz I point the app to the wrong location, as in how do I redirect ??? (I told ya it was a newbie Q )

I tried colon, semi-colon, slash & backslash but none of them seem to do the trick (and yes I remebered to put < & > around the filename)....I just don't know how to make the right command line, any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 05 May 2002, 04:46   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

It is paramount that you read the included doc file first. I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to use this tool for, but if you are a newbie, expect problems, as it's a sophisticated util not geared towards newbies. It's proper usage will require a pretty good knowledge of all things Amiga, and it seems you're not even familiar with how shell (CLI) commands work. For example, the < > brackets are not intended to be typed as part of the command line, but to indicate, for example a parameter.

With the PP command, you get:

PP <command> <file_type> [-|/<option>] [.<ext>] <file(s)>

<command> means that in the place of that, you use a command, as explained in the docs. Without reading this, you cannot know what the commands are, nor what they do. Onesuch command would be PACK, so in place of <command> you would type the letter p, ie:

PP p ... (along with the rest of the command line parameters)

if packing a file is what you intend to do. Likewise, if you wanted to UNPACK a file, you would replace that with the letter u, and so on. All of the <command>s are listed in the doc file. As are the explanations for <file_type>, such as d (data file), p (PC file), s (Atari ST file), etc.

So if you wanted to unpack an RNC file from the ST version of Sensible Soccer, so far you would be at...

PP u s *.*

The *.* will process all files in the directory you are currently CD'd to in the shell.

Next, the [-|/<option>]. Note that this is enclosed in [brackets], which means it is an optional switch. If it were surrounded by < >, that means it is a required parameter and thus the PP program will not work without that parameter indicated. I don't think you are ready for this one, however.

-k is for locking or unlocking files using a 16-bit key,
-l locks an already crunched file
-m tells PP which crunch method to use (followed by either the number 1 or 2 to indicate which method)

etc. (read the docs if you're still with me here!)

Then we have [.<ext>], which is as simple as it looks. Specify an extension (ie, .RNC) and PP will only act on files with that extension:

pp u l .rnc *.*

And lastly, <file(s)>. In all of my examples, I have used *.*, your basic wildcard for everything in the path to execute the command on. You could also use *.exe, and the ? wildcard is also supported.

Hope this helps, but it more than likely will scare you away. If it's too much to understand, you're probably best to stray away from a tool like this until you become better versed with the way the Amiga works, as well as being more familiar with the shell and cruncher-type programs.
Old 05 May 2002, 09:55   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
It is paramount that you read the included doc file first.
I ALWAYS read the docs of any prog/util/app I wanna use (No really), but in this case all that's included is a short description and a command line example...Like this:

The command line for depack is as follows...

Depack [<Input file>] [Output file] [$Decryption key]

As you can see from the above command line, the input filename is the ONLY
essential piece of information depack requires.

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to use this tool for, but if you are a newbie, expect problems, as it's a sophisticated util not geared towards newbies.
: ...and now you tell me
BTW I wanna edit teams in SWOS 96/97, and change player abilities while I'm at it (several of the danish players don't have RL abilities)

Quote:
It's proper usage will require a pretty good knowledge of all things Amiga, and it seems you're not even familiar with how shell (CLI) commands work.
Nope, never used schell before (back when I had an A500, it was only used for gaming), I just figured it would be somewhat similar (not identical of coz) to working in DOS (not that I'm an expert at that, but at least I know a few things)

Quote:
For example, the < > brackets are not intended to be typed as part of the command line, but to indicate, for example a parameter.
I used brackets coz that was the only time I got some sort of response from the computer....When I open the Depacker, I simply typed: Depack <df:0\SWOS2\data\team.rnc> (I tried other suffixes as well) at the Execute a file-prompt....This is probably no surprise to you, but this produced a "Please insert volume df in any drive"-reply. Everthing else just ended in an "Unable to open redirection file"-message.

If I simply choose to open Depacker by hitting enter at the at execute, I get a blank screen with version info and this line:

Usage: Depack [<inputfile>] [output file] [$decryption key]

Underneath this I can type all I want, but nothing happens, so I figured I had to put in a commandline at the execute-prompt....Should I open this util from shell ????

Quote:
Hope this helps, but it more than likely will scare you away. If it's too much to understand, you're probably best to stray away from a tool like this until you become better versed with the way the Amiga works, as well as being more familiar with the shell and cruncher-type programs.
No, you've been most helpfull and I'm not running scared just yet (never knew when to quit ). I'll give this puppy a few more runs (only way I'm gonna learn), and see what comes from it.

Old 05 May 2002, 10:01   #4
Nico

ha ha ha sorry, guess I was logged out while replying....'tis me up there

Old 05 May 2002, 10:33   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Nico
I ALWAYS read the docs of any prog/util/app I wanna use (No really), but in this case all that's included is a short description and a command line example...Like this:

The command line for depack is as follows...

Depack [<Input file>] [Output file] [$Decryption key]

As you can see from the above command line, the input filename is the ONLY essential piece of information depack requires.
Hmm...I must have a different version. I'll have to fire it up again, as I just gave it a quick once over and didn't even notice the Depack command (although it could have been there). I'll get back to you on this one.
Quote:
BTW I wanna edit teams in SWOS 96/97, and change player abilities while I'm at it (several of the danish players don't have RL abilities)
Hehe...somehow, this was my guess (editing SWOS files).
Quote:
Nope, never used schell before (back when I had an A500, it was only used for gaming), I just figured it would be somewhat similar (not identical of coz) to working in DOS (not that I'm an expert at that, but at least I know a few things)
Well, PC-DOS is ugly and non-intuitive. It never gets any better with continued useage, unlike the shell. The CLI is like an elegant UNIX shell. The command line buffer is one of my favorite time-saving features (using the up arrow key will recall previous command line executions with easy character editing). I started using the CLI early on and find it indispensible today. It's something that I doubt the PC will ever be cool enough to have.

Quote:
I used brackets coz that was the only time I got some sort of response from the computer....When I open the Depacker, I simply typed: Depack <df:0\SWOS2\data\team.rnc> (I tried other suffixes as well) at the Execute a file-prompt....This is probably no surprise to you, but this produced a "Please insert volume df in any drive"-reply. Everthing else just ended in an "Unable to open redirection file"-message.
OK, let's back up here. To begin with, the internal floppy drive is DF0: - NOT DF:0 ... which is why you got the "Please insert volume df in any drive", because AmigaDOS has no clue which drive DF is. Another great thing about AmigaDOS is you could actually tell AmigaDOS that DF is DF0: and it would work. But I digress... The second error message is simply from the program being unable to decipher the incorrectly input parameters, methinks.
Quote:
If I simply choose to open Depacker by hitting enter at the at execute, I get a blank screen with version info and this line:

Usage: Depack [<inputfile>] [output file] [$decryption key]

Underneath this I can type all I want, but nothing happens, so I figured I had to put in a commandline at the execute-prompt....Should I open this util from shell ????
Most commandline executables follow the rules and will give you the Usage: info if you just type the command name. Very useful if you just forget a switch or something and can't be bothered to load up the docs just to recall a sample command. All it is telling you is to type the command followed by the files. If the file you want to edit is called DATAFILE, for example, you might type:

Depack DATAFILE DATAFILE2

Judging by the fact that [output file] is not in < > brackets, I will assume if you don't give it a filename, it will overwrite the inputfile:

Depack DATAFILE

As far as "opening this util"...well, you're not really opening anything, you're executing it. Meaning there is no GUI (graphic user interface). What you type is what you get. And that's as it should be, since a GUI is really unneccesary when you just want to execute an action on a file.
Quote:
No, you've been most helpfull and I'm not running scared just yet (never knew when to quit ). I'll give this puppy a few more runs (only way I'm gonna learn), and see what comes from it.
Stay with it. I haven't actually used this program, so I can't really comment on it. This is more of an explanation on running programs from the CLI and I am just assuming everything will work as intended.
Old 05 May 2002, 10:40   #6
Nico

Thanx for another usefull reply Twistin' I'll just go play with Depacker now, see if I can get the darned thing to work for me (most likely not, which means I'll be back here to annoy you )

Old 05 May 2002, 13:39   #7
Nico

OKAY all done, I finally worked out how to use the bugger. Next time your near a bar, have a beer on me Twistin', your help is much appreciated

Another stupid newbie Q (yes this is how I thank people, ask for more ). Everything seems speedy in WB...Typing often results in me entering too many letters eg. SSSWOSSEDDIT or RRUNNN (you see what I mean ??), double clicking is near impossible, as lightning fast double clicks are needed.
Any way to remedy this ? (the speed that is )

BTW I'm using the Harddisk config from ALE

Last edited by Nico; 05 May 2002 at 14:23.

Old 05 May 2002, 14:43   #8
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Lightbulb Depacking RNC files

One immediate thing springs to mind, why mess around with these command line tools when you can use XFDDecrunch from Aminet and unpack about 100 different filetypes?

XFDDecrunch NameOfFile

Then use Propack to repack it after you are done. For the speedy keyboard you either have your keyboard preferences set far too high or you have "emulate at max speed" set, try "approximate A500 speed" or something.
Old 05 May 2002, 18:05   #9
Nico

Re: Depacking RNC files

Quote:
Originally posted by Codetapper
One immediate thing springs to mind, why mess around with these command line tools when you can use XFDDecrunch from Aminet and unpack about 100 different filetypes?
Because I'm a newbie and RNC Depacker came along the SWOS editor But thanx for the heads-up

Quote:

Then use Propack to repack it after you are done. For the speedy keyboard you either have your keyboard preferences set far too high or you have "emulate at max speed" set, try "approximate A500 speed" or something.
I was about to ask how I repacked the TEAM file (looks like that feature isn't included in Rnc Depacker)....ProPacker worked like a charm

Figured the speed issue out myself as soon as I looked at some of my other configs, but thanx anyway