English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 October 2021, 18:04   #1
rolopolo

Network printing

Hello all, my first post and it has to be a question.

I am really enjoying my A500 with PiStorm. Seems far more reliable than the 060 RTG 3000T I had in the day. Why did I sell it!

The PiStorm networking seems to be working well for HTTP and FTP (for clients that support passive, which most seem not to do).

Anyway I did have a network card in the 3000T but never had a decent printer. I wonder what could be the best way to print to an IP connected printer. With all the resources of Aminet and so on does some PAR: or SER: wedge exist or some other method. Postscript and PCL are available on the printer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10 October 2021, 19:55   #2
deimos
It's coming back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolopolo View Post
Hello all, my first post and it has to be a question.

I am really enjoying my A500 with PiStorm. Seems far more reliable than the 060 RTG 3000T I had in the day. Why did I sell it!

The PiStorm networking seems to be working well for HTTP and FTP (for clients that support passive, which most seem not to do).

Anyway I did have a network card in the 3000T but never had a decent printer. I wonder what could be the best way to print to an IP connected printer. With all the resources of Aminet and so on does some PAR: or SER: wedge exist or some other method. Postscript and PCL are available on the printer.

Thanks in advance.
NetPar?

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=netpar
Old 10 October 2021, 20:39   #3
rolopolo

Thank

I think NetParLPR will do the trick and seems easy to setup. Using WB 3.2 which gives the option to specify the device rather than just the parallel and serial devices.

Can't try it for a while, was just fishing to see if anyone had a proven working setup.
Old 11 October 2021, 12:54   #4
Jope
-

I use this one: http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/NetPrinter

It works without hassle in 3.5, 3.9 and 3.2.
Old 24 October 2021, 13:59   #5
rolopolo

Thank you. I went with this in the end. http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/NetParLpr
Seems to work with 3.2 so far. I needed it to replace the parallel.device (not ideal) to be able to get postscript sent direct from the app I had in mind. Thanks again. Sorry been away.
Old 24 October 2021, 18:25   #6
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolopolo View Post
Thank you. I went with this in the end. http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/NetParLpr
Seems to work with 3.2 so far. I needed it to replace the parallel.device (not ideal) to be able to get postscript sent direct from the app I had in mind. Thanks again. Sorry been away.
What program is it? There are usually workarounds, even if a program is hard-coded to use parallel.device. Most will usually allow you to print to a file, in which case you can set the file to PRT:. If that doesn’t work, you can set the file to RAM:fileoutput and then copy RAM:fileoutput to PRT:. And if *that* doesn’t work there’s always SYS:Tools/CMD.
Old 24 October 2021, 20:00   #7
rolopolo

Apart from the loss of parallel.device, seems to work well. Thanks for looking in to this and offering help. Don't think I will miss it, the parallel device, and that is the only real invasive stunt involved. I have files from 20+ years ago from Wordperfect Amiga for example when I had a daisywheel printer that nearly would shake the house down. Getting WP Amiga working on a PiStorm I think will be quite a challenge from my experience then, and when on a suitable machine it was not that stable. Don't believe WP was 32bit clean in Mac parlance. I missed WP but went and bought Finalwriter and ProPage using Ghostscript to print.