English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 April 2008, 22:04   #1
rlcarr

Dr. J vs. Larry Bird One on One

Yeah, the graphics aren't good and the gameplay is nothing to write home about, but it was the first game I bought when I got my A1000 back in the spring of 1986.

That A1000 is long-gone (sniff), but I did save all my old disks, and when an eBay'd A500 arrived today, I was able to play the game for the first time in something like 15 years. Good times!
Old 17 April 2008, 16:02   #2
ennio

I didn't know they ported this game from the C64. One of the real classics. I'm going to have to check out the Ami version!
Old 18 April 2008, 20:05   #3
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

I quite like this game too and wrote a review for Angus Manwaring's Amiga Game Database back in 1999 (how time flies!):

http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/DBM1/OneoOne.html

This game is made even better by the availability of a WHDLoad patch nowadays
Old 18 April 2008, 20:32   #4
ennio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
I quite like this game too and wrote a review for Angus Manwaring's Amiga Game Database back in 1999 (how time flies!):

Nice review!

Omni-Play Basketball ruled them all though.
Old 18 April 2008, 20:48   #5
rlcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post

(1) Nice review! Though I'll note that if you unplug the mouse and put a joystick where the mouse was, you can play against the computer using joystick (or if it's 2-players, both players can play with joysticks).

(2) I'll likely ask this in more detail elsewhere, but I've read the WHDLoad docs on the WHDLoad website, and I'm still confused. What exactly do I need to play a game under WHDLoad? I need WHDLoad, I need the specific WHDLoad "slave" for the specific game, and then what do I need for/from the game itself? An ADF of the game? Something else?
Old 18 April 2008, 21:37   #6
TjLaZer

Quote:
What exactly do I need to play a game under WHDLoad? I need WHDLoad, I need the specific WHDLoad "slave" for the specific game, and then what do I need for/from the game itself? An ADF of the game? Something else?
For WHDLoad you need OS 2.x + for starters. Then you need the original disk. (Most need the original disk, so an ADF, or a crack will NOT work) You then install the game with the installer and it creates a dir on you HD with the game and an icon you just run from WB. You might have to set some TOOLTYPES for the game (NTSC/PAL, NOCACHE, etc.. see docs)

Thats it!
Old 26 April 2008, 21:09   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
(1) Nice review! Though I'll note that if you unplug the mouse and put a joystick where the mouse was, you can play against the computer using joystick (or if it's 2-players, both players can play with joysticks).
Yep, I found that out after I wrote the review when I bought an original copy of the game with docs.

Quote:
(2) I'll likely ask this in more detail elsewhere, but I've read the WHDLoad docs on the WHDLoad website, and I'm still confused. What exactly do I need to play a game under WHDLoad? I need WHDLoad, I need the specific WHDLoad "slave" for the specific game, and then what do I need for/from the game itself? An ADF of the game? Something else?
What TjLaZer said. Also, check out Cody's WHDLoad FAQ if you haven't already.

WHDLoad HD installers require original game disks (cracks rarely work), but many fully installed games are available on the web (see HERE). Finally, consider registering WHDLoad if you like it. Many here have already!
Old 26 April 2008, 21:22   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennio View Post
Nice review!

Omni-Play Basketball ruled them all though.
At the time of writing the review, I hadn't even seen Omni-Play Basketball. Have played it since, though, but I should sit down one of these days and give it some decent playing time just to see if it as good as you and a few others have said.
Old 28 April 2008, 21:08   #9
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
Yeah, the graphics aren't good and the gameplay is nothing to write home about, but it was the first game I bought when I got my A1000 back in the spring of 1986.

That A1000 is long-gone (sniff), but I did save all my old disks, and when an eBay'd A500 arrived today, I was able to play the game for the first time in something like 15 years. Good times!
Glad to see someone thinks the same way about One on One as I do. I used to play it all the time when I was a kid. Still break it out once in a while haha.