English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 March 2009, 10:49   #1
DC33
Zone Friend

Burning DVDs on a real Amiga - Which s/w and drive to use

Been doing some research on EAB but haven't been able to find the right answer so far.

I am using a *real 1200* with CF card which has ClassicWB installed etc etc.... As times have moved on from years ago whereby I used a SCSI CD burner to back-up my drive and the like, I have not been able to find a compromise between available amiga s/w and current DVD burners on the market today. I understand that I could remove the CF card and use WinUAE to back it up etc... but I am looking for a solution which will negate the need for having to do this.

My questions are:

1. - Does Make CD support today's DVD burners..? and if so, which? I have tried 3 separate units without any luck! Note: tried with CD's as opposed to DVD discs.

2. - ...or is it best to use Burn It ? Either one does not seem to do the job.

3. - Am I best off in investing in an old CD burner to do the job?

All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 17 March 2009, 10:51   #2
Jope
-

Fryingpan?
Old 17 March 2009, 10:55   #3
DC33
Zone Friend

Tried that but couldn't get it to recognise the drives. As such, how could I register the product if it doesn't do what I need?

From what I remember, it's a bit of a catch 22.... maybe not. However I could not get it to do s**t ! maybe I must try again.

Do you know if it "works/supports" all current DVD burners or if it has its limitations?

:0
Old 17 March 2009, 10:58   #4
Jope
-

Should work. When unregistered, it is "read only" so if it won't work for you in unregistered mode, then bad luck.

Get a master/slave CF adapter and plug another card in the slave slot.. Then use QB or Diavolo or whatever to back it up to the second card. :-)
Old 17 March 2009, 11:02   #5
DC33
Zone Friend

.......bad luck ain't good enough !!!

Ok then, if it is; then it really sucks !!
Old 17 March 2009, 13:25   #6
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

MakeCD should support most ATAPI IDE burners afaik. From memory, I could write CDs using a LiteOn DVD burner connected to a SCSI-IDE bridge.

Couldn't get FryingPan to work properly as that version was buggy or it might have been my SCSI-IDE bridge, the latest one somewhere may work.

Most modern drive should work with MakeCD with the SCSI3_ATAPI driver, as long as you have a later version, e.g. MakeCD 3.2d I think was the last.

http://www.estamos.de/makecd/auto/Co...ty_3.html#SEC3

MakeCD is organised differently to most modern burning programs, but as you have used it before, I assume you know how it works.
Old 17 March 2009, 15:55   #7
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Also look in Aminet. I'm pretty sure someone as uploaded a DVD driver for 68k machines, so you will be able to burn 4.7Gb of data at once.
Old 18 March 2009, 10:08   #8
DC33
Zone Friend

@Calgor

Many thanks for the information and extra incentive... I was just aboiut to give up until I read your reply. I borrowed a DVD drive off a spare PC I have and to my surprise it all works as expected with Make CD. However this is only applicable to CDs as opposed to DVDs.

Is it possible to burn DVDs under MakeCD?
Old 18 March 2009, 16:26   #9
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

No MakeCD cannot it is too old, you should use FryingPan. Last version I know of is 1.3.2 which is a year old, don't know what's going on. There may be one other application but not sure. (Incidentally On OS4.x there is also AmiDVD. On MorphOs there is BurnIt!3. Shame efforts are all split else we might have had an open source superDVD program)
Old 18 March 2009, 18:21   #10
rkauer

MakeCD is not "tooltype-aware"?

Nor "device-aware"?

Last edited by rkauer; 18 March 2009 at 19:07.
Old 19 March 2009, 03:04   #11
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@rkauer

Have you burned DVDs some other way other than FryingPan? Would be interested to know an alternative. Not aware of MakeCD burning DVDs, are you saying it may be able to by changing some config?
Old 19 March 2009, 09:27   #12
DC33
Zone Friend

@Calgor
It would "appear" that burning DVD's with MakeCD "may" just be possible.....

I inserted a DVD instead of a CD, selected several tracks to be burnt which are different partitions within the CF card which total in excess of a normal DC's ~700 Meg size and so far, the burning process seems to be working.... !! so fingers crossed.

Will update you/everyone when all is done. Lets hope it works.

@rkauer... Thanks for the tip, if that's what you meant,
Old 19 March 2009, 11:17   #13
DC33
Zone Friend

Update...

Much to my amazement..... I am absolutely amazed that I am amazed at the fact that it is amazing that MakeCd CAN burn DVD's...

No parameters were changed during the burning process other than "ignoring" any MakeCD requesters. I clicked "ignore" throughout the process and I now have a complete 1.2 Gig DVD with all my recently installed stuff !!!
Old 19 March 2009, 11:31   #14
DC33
Zone Friend

OK people... Enough of the amazing stuff (although it is amazing - as far as I can tell !!) Did/Does/is anyone else on this board aware of the fact that this IS actually possible?

I realise it isn't a massive breakthrough but it seems that no one was "actually" aware not the fact...except we know who?

Old 19 March 2009, 13:14   #15
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
well I`m amazed too, good work dc33, might even consider givin the amiga a dvd writer now
Old 19 March 2009, 15:25   #16
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I am gob-smacked.... wow... obviously rkauer had some idea. I did not know of this. Surely someone will now point to some forum somewhere to show DC33 was not the first to publicly proclaim.

This thread suggests that even some knowledgable ppl were not aware it is possible:
http://amigans.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=134

Can your DVD be read on a "PC"?
Old 19 March 2009, 16:41   #17
Jope
-

Probably? The only thing to consider when burning DVDs for Amiga use is, you must use the ISO9660 filesystem. Most PC software default to UDF, which afaik is not supported by the classic Amiga cd handlers
Old 19 March 2009, 19:18   #18
DC33
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post

Can your DVD be read on a "PC"?
Unfortunately not, however this is not my aim at the moment, but might just give it a go. I have all my amiga stuff on CDs/DVDs already and all I wanted to achieve was to do a "backup" of my current configuration so that it doesn't take me forever to gwt the system up and running should it crash.... Although it would be nice to be able to read it on a PC for WinUAE for example. Will give it a try later and let everyone know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Probably? The only thing to consider when burning DVDs for Amiga use is, you must use the ISO9660 filesystem. Most PC software default to UDF, which afaik is not supported by the classic Amiga cd handlers
Thanks for pointing this out Jope. I cannot recall using this setting so I must try it and see what results I get.
Old 19 March 2009, 21:30   #19
rkauer

That's the beauty of Amiga OS: you simply update a "driver" (device or datatype) and even programs made 20 years ago will run with the new file type/hardware flawlessly!

Lovely computer!
Old 19 March 2009, 23:28   #20
exoticaga

ISO9660 is standard accross many platforms as is one or the one cd and dvd base specification. It will be the chr$ that may stop some files or directorys not showing, if wrong for windows os < or > etc for example. Where as on the amiga they are ok to use in filenames.