English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 October 2008, 18:19   #1
laffer
Zone Friend

Zak McKracken FM Towns vs PC version

If anyone's interested, here is a little clip showing some scenes from the PC version and FM Towns version of Zak McKracken.

The difference is pretty big! Too bad they didn't release a 256 color version for the PC as well, sucks how it was only released in Japan.

Anyway, here you go -

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 October 2008, 18:36   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is almost the same. The FM Towns version looks way better . It's a pity that these versions were never ported back to the PC. It's just a great thing that ScummVM supports the FM Towns versions and you can now play them on the PC
Nice video btw
Old 02 October 2008, 18:39   #3
keropi

the speaker rulz.
Old 02 October 2008, 18:48   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
It's just a great thing that ScummVM supports the FM Towns versions and you can now play them on the PC
Nice video btw
You can play Indy III with Unz (FM-Towns emulator) too.
Old 02 October 2008, 18:48   #5
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Quote:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is almost the same. The FM Towns version looks way better . It's a pity that these versions were never ported back to the PC. It's just a great thing that ScummVM supports the FM Towns versions and you can now play them on the PC
Nice video btw
There's a PC VGA version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade which for the most part looks identical to the FM Towns version.
Old 02 October 2008, 18:48   #6
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is almost the same. The FM Towns version looks way better
Actually, there are both 16 and 256 color PC versions of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The 256 color PC version looks pretty much identical to the FM Towns version.
However, the FM Towns version has CD audio, while the PC version has MIDI.. so the FM Towns version sounds tons better.

But Zak is only available in 256 colors on the FM Towns, and yeah.. sucks how they never made a 256 color PC version of that game.

EDIT - Belgarath beat me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
You can play Indy III with Unz (FM-Towns emulator) too.
Yes, but I think ScummVM is much easier to use.
Old 02 October 2008, 18:50   #7
Dizzy
Pirate

Cool laffer
Old 02 October 2008, 18:53   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Yes, but I think ScummVM is much easier to use.
You need no configuration, but i wouldn't say that it's much easier to use. Unz autoboots and you start the game with a double click.
Old 02 October 2008, 18:55   #9
laffer
Zone Friend

Well, maybe not once you have UNZ up and running.. however, I had some trouble getting the emulator to work at first. It's easy now that it's properly configured but for someone who has never used UNZ or ScummVM before, I'd think ScummVM would be easier
Old 02 October 2008, 18:57   #10
Dizzy
Pirate

Well I prefer as few emulators as possible so I go for ScummVM
Old 02 October 2008, 19:00   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
There's a PC VGA version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade which for the most part looks identical to the FM Towns version.
Yup, and I have it in my ScummVM collection I always forget about this one, because I only played the 16 color version back then. Like laffer said the better audio of the FM Towns version is the real advantage on this one.
Old 02 October 2008, 19:02   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
It's easy now that it's properly configured but for someone who has never used UNZ or ScummVM before, I'd think ScummVM would be easier
You have to ripp the tracks to mp3/ogg first, because ScummVM has some troubles with audio tracks on CD Images. But yes, i prefer ScummVM for the Lucas Arts games too.

btw: I quoted TCD. His post implies that there is only ScummVM for FM-Towns games.
Old 02 October 2008, 19:11   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
btw: I quoted TCD. His post implies that there is only ScummVM for FM-Towns games.
Yup, my bad. Of course UNZ can do it too I should always name every possibility to play a version on PC
Old 02 October 2008, 20:32   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
However, the FM Towns version has CD audio, while the PC version has MIDI.. so the FM Towns version sounds tons better.
Call me stupid, but I prefer the midi tunes. The improved music simply doesn't match with the old school vga graphics for me, I need old school music to go with it to get the full experience.
Old 02 October 2008, 20:35   #15
laffer
Zone Friend

I can understand that, it's that way with me in lots of games. But in this case, I prefer the FM Towns version.. but you have a point about the MIDI matching the graphics of the game better.
Old 02 October 2008, 20:35   #16
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPID View Post
Call me stupid, but I prefer the midi tunes. The improved music simply doesn't match with the old school vga graphics for me, I need old school music to go with it to get the full experience.
ok
Old 02 October 2008, 20:36   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I bet you have the floppy drive sound enabled in WinUAE Actually for the LucasFilm/Arts adventures a CD soundtrack fits quite good. I must admit that unless you have a GUS or an good Wavetable MIDI sounds pretty awful. But again this is more a matter of taste.
Old 03 October 2008, 04:06   #18
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Th FM Towns version looks rather lush and warm but i owe it to myself to finish the Amiga version.And of course if you start on one version, it wouldn't feel like a you were in the same world starting again on another version

I'm sure i would like this version had i started with it first though

A bit like how playing a remake ruins the world memories inside your head from the previous time you played - some things should be left well alone

This was rather good on the C64 as well and suited the C64's chunky graphics

Another one of those games i have to finish CyberDruid

Last edited by Adropac2; 03 October 2008 at 04:11.
Old 03 October 2008, 04:28   #19
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Just looking at your video Laffer.Is it a fair argument you reckon that some of the surreal feel of the original less coloured versions has been lost?.Also Zak had great quirky animation and a lonely atmosphere from it's locations that has maybe been pasted over by this glorious FM makeover.I remember so well the vivid striking contrast of colour from The Amiga and PC versions and this i felt was iconic with the game - for me at least

They are beautifully warm colours and locations from the FM version though that much is true

Which version did you play first
Old 03 October 2008, 05:48   #20
laser
Banned

Quote:
Too bad they didn't release a 256 color version for the PC as well, sucks how it was only released in Japan.
you are wrong... an enhanced PC version exists...I have it and it's official

it's the VGA/256 colors version ...even runs perfect on winXP and run in high resolution (640x480)
also is multilanguage (M8)

PC VGA screenshot

if anyone is interested I can upload this version to the zone..

so Laffer... you should delete your video on youtube because you have compared the old PC version .... the video does not make sense

Last edited by laser; 03 October 2008 at 05:58.