English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 March 2012, 02:11   #21
CritAnime

I love retro gaming. So many memories on classic systems, so many times I had seen games that haden't been done before. The look of the media. The chunky pixel graphics. The amazing sounds.
Old 03 March 2012, 02:38   #22
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I have to tell my feelings about all of this too... I do have an strong feeling of nostalgia about all the games I played 20 or 30 years ago, but it wasn't games alone... I lived the beginning of the era of the personal computers; something that will stay forever.

When I was 12 years old (1982) there weren't more computers that the ones you could see in a Bank or something; IBM's and so. When the Spectrum and Commodore appeared in the stores it was a shock 'cause of it's .... (more/less) affordable prices. Ours (at that time) parents understood our needings for those computers, thinking in our future, because it was expensive for a thing you really didn't know what could do.
Old 03 March 2012, 02:40   #23
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombasajoe View Post
In my opinion playing old games on real or emulated hardware is not "retro" but "vintage".
Not for me. The old machines are "vintage". But playing on these old computers/consoles nowadays is "retro". I call it backward-looking or retrogressive, that fits it pretty good imo. And it not really nostalgia for me. Mostly i prefer the older games over newer PC/Console games.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 03 March 2012 at 02:55.
Old 03 March 2012, 10:30   #24
frikilokooo

There are not only old games,you can find modern classic games too however the retro gameplay genres have been relegated to the background with amateur productions but still survives and evolves in my opinion with games like Limbo,Braid,And Yet It Moves,Chalk,Xwung,VVVVVV,P+P,Crayon Physics,Gemini Rue,etc.
Old 09 March 2012, 08:50   #25
mombasajoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
No your wrong !!
No. That´s too simple. If you compare theses articles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9tro_(style)

you will instantly notice that you have to DEFINE "retro" before starting a discussion about it.

EDIT:

IMHO it´s up to TKM21 to give this definition or ask for a definition because it´s his study/project

Last edited by mombasajoe; 09 March 2012 at 09:05.
Old 09 March 2012, 09:46   #26
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Ye exactly what i said !!....If you read the first one it says....Retro is a culturally outdated or aged style, trend, mode, or fashion, from the overall postmodern past, that has since that time become functionally or superficially the norm once again.....

Then it states.....It generally implies a vintage of at least 15 or 20 years.

Wiki is using the word vintage as a year.......like grapes.....what its saying is retro has a vintage of 20 years.....not that it is vintage gaming. Elvis presley has a vintage of over 20 years but its still rock n roll

Like you said though...if i said its ancient doesnt mean its its egyption or anything im would be just using the phrase to make it sound old so it doesnt really matter he can make his choice of wording

Last edited by synchro; 09 March 2012 at 09:53.
Old 09 March 2012, 10:25   #27
mombasajoe

The English article and the German article describe it differently. In the Geman article "retro" is also described as a MODERN INTERPRETAITON of an "old" style (like VW Beetle vs New Beetle or have a look at the actual Camaro). That´s completely different from a culturally outdated or aged style. I wont´t dare to say which article is right. I just think that if three people talk about "retro" they might talk about three different things.
Old 09 March 2012, 15:15   #28
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Wow this thread seems to be heading off course a little.... so i`ll contribute.

From Wiki: The word "retro" derives from the Latin prefix retro, meaning "backwards" or "in past times"

The term retro has certainly existed a long time however this past generation has assigned different connotations to it, I also see it as a modern interpretation of an old style or feel.
Old 11 March 2012, 20:19   #29
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

No it has not gone off track....He asked our thoughts on retro gaming. How we persive it is important im sure.

I dont think anyone is wrong really whether is retro...or vintage...it is over 20 years old no denying that..so old computers do have a vintage in that respect....but the style is retro from some of our perspectives so that counts as well.

Really its a bit like calling scrollers and platform games arcade style....We tend to tag certain events in time that mean something to a specific generation....People who grew up with XBOX and other consoles never lived the birth of computer gaming...Boy did they miss out !!..But when their kids are on holodecks they will be remenissing the days of console gaming.....whereas our memories are arcade gaming.

But those of us that were there....It was history in the making....without pong...space invaders etc there may not have been any C64's....amiga's....Pc's...ipads...internet....Well it certainly would not be the same anyway....

Last edited by synchro; 11 March 2012 at 21:47.
Old 28 April 2012, 00:24   #30
s2325
Zone Friend

russian police mistake Space Invader for bomb [ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 April 2012, 12:45   #31
rockape

Thumbs up Retro Gaming

Hi TKM21,

I enjoy playing Adventure - Arcade 3D Retro games like

Driller, Total Eclipse, Darkside and Castle Master, The Crypt using WHDLoad on either an A1200 or a Desktop A4K.

There is something soothing about moving around strange landscapes/areas.

Also it takes me back to when I first showed my father a home computer andhe was so impressed he bought one... oh happy days.

Regards, Michael

aka rockape
Old 29 April 2012, 01:10   #32
Photon

Retro gaming for me means good memories and occasionally playing a few of them where the frustration factor has aged well

Retro games, all categories (except early arcade hall games) have a vast majority of games that frustrated even 15yos with lightning reflexes! The reason we put up with the frustration was to see another screenful of awesome (back then) graphics.

Now, the graphics don't look awesome to most of the population, and so there is less incentive, especially for some games that require you to play flawlessly to even survive. Gaming concepts have also moved away from the simple "levels" and "shoot everything" - at least the games I enjoy now.

Multiplayer gaming in whatever form has always worked and will always work, because it addresses the competitiveness in most of us and not the game "mechanics".

There is also the retro style, which will be strong for the foreseeable future. There is something cozy and camp about loading up a simple old game and get into it BECAUSE you enjoy the hand-pixeled graphics more than say, a vacuous sports game with ever so polished 3D graphics with effects. The retro style is even something people admire as a form of art expression and try to emulate and incorporate into modern works. (EDGE on Steam and Minecraft are good examples.)

There. Essay done. Hehe
Old 29 April 2012, 19:31   #33
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
There. Essay done. Hehe
LOL !! Ye your probably not far off

Title page !! The History of arcade gaming.

Sub Heading !! Personal feelings and thoughts from genuine users of the day.

Copy / Paste thread...

By TKM21

Pass !!
Old 15 May 2012, 11:20   #34
pubzombie

Quote:
LOL !! Ye your probably not far off

Title page !! The History of arcade gaming.

Sub Heading !! Personal feelings and thoughts from genuine users of the day.

Copy / Paste thread...

By TKM21

Pass !!
Unless the supervisory team were all retro gamers with amigas of course
lol
PZ
Old 15 May 2012, 11:46   #35
s2325
Zone Friend

I'm curious about thoughts of people which know Amiga only from emulation.
Old 15 May 2012, 23:24   #36
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I'm curious about thoughts of people which know Amiga only from emulation.
Do such people exist, I wonder?

I first discovered the Amiga when I saw an Amiga Emulator CD listed in a shareware catalogue on disk.

It wasn't cheap, so I thought I'd see what would turn up in Google.

Well, it wasn't long before I had found the (WinUAE) emulator, some disk images and ROMs, and gave it a try.

On the strength of this, about a week later I decided I just had to own a real Amiga, so I bought an Escom AT1200 Magic Pack from Eyetech.

Now I have 3xA500s, an A500Plus, 3xCommodore A1200s and an A4000 as well as four Amiga Forever releases to go with the AT1200.

In my case, the availability online of pirated ROMs and Workbench disks certainly didn't do the Amiga community any harm, and may indeed have given it a boost.
Old 16 May 2012, 01:18   #37
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

I prefer retrogaming compared to Modern PC gamin mainly because The retro games were Joysticl controlled I feel that PC coders are too lazy to code Joystick/controller routine in their games and always preferred to use an Amiga/C64 Emulator bucause games are easy to contol and I always Hated using keyboard controlled games.
Old 16 May 2012, 01:23   #38
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Do such people exist, I wonder?
Good answer to as good question !!

Im guessing that maybe Atari ST users might be giving it a go just like i tried Atari ST emulation cuz i never had one.

For sure i converted a few ST users to the Amiga back in the day but until an atari st emulator was available i had never actually seen one in action....Looks like i made the right choice though....Amiga was far superior.

@ Prowler...Before you discovered Winuae etc what did computer did you use out of interest ?
Old 16 May 2012, 22:53   #39
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
@ Prowler...Before you discovered Winuae etc what did computer did you use out of interest ?
I discovered WinUAE in 2001. It was my second experience of emulating another platform on the PC.

At that time I was using a PC I had built myself running a Pentium 200MMX processor on a Tyan 'Power User's' motherboard (provision for two processors, 3xPCI slots, 5xISA slots, 8x72-pin SIMM slots and USB), and a Macintosh PowerPC 6500/250.

My first experience of emulation was Microcode Solutions' Fusion 3.0 after the hard drive became corrupted on my Macintosh and I had to download a hard drive recovery program using my PC, transfer it to the Macintosh and get it running on another hard drive in that machine.
Old 17 May 2012, 01:42   #40
magnetic
Banned

Well I play retro games , mostly c64 (very rare) Amiga, and MAME. Nothing beats the true arcade titles with MAME to me.

I do have an Xbox 360 I only have 2 games for it! Fifa 2011, and Fifa 2012 lmao.. To me most of the other games truly are theh suckage. Alot of HD sprites running around, usually invloving killing someone or something at a epileptic inducing speed is not my idea of "fun"

At an amiga meeting a few months back this guy brought his 10 yr old son. Well he has an xbox 360 with tons of games and I put him on the Amiga 500 with Turrican and he was in heaven!

Young kids arent even neurolgically developed enough to digest all that information on screen. If you remember childrens games were always lo res low impact.. not not. Well there is much agenda behind that but that is a story for another day..

IN general though, if you play more than 2 hrs a day in games i feel like its a waste of time. Our lives are precious and so is time.