English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 12 July 2021, 22:56   #3701
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I don't have this problem, are you using the native OS 3.2 startup-sequence?

Nope, at all. I'm only using the part of it where it searchs for exec.library

BTW, for PeterK. I've found that I've got a constant crash if I select all of the icons in a drawer and I try to move them all. That's with DOpus of course, but I think it's the same with WB.
Old 12 July 2021, 23:11   #3702
PeterK

Retrofan, I hope that you know that the "Custom dragging routines" of DOpus 5.82 always had a huge memory leak. You can lose some MB if you select a couple of icons and just drag them around. Your free memory can disappear rapidly and completely in a few seconds. This did only happen with P96, not with CGX.

But I've fixed that bug in the DOpus5 dragging routines and put my DOpus 5.83 into the bonus drawer of my Aminet package. Reading my IconLib.guide can be useful sometimes.

I've no idea how good or bad DOpus5 works on an OS 3.2 system. I would not expect or rely on that the 3.2 developers even tried to care about DOpus5 at all.

Last edited by PeterK; 12 July 2021 at 23:25.
Old 12 July 2021, 23:13   #3703
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
Os 3.2 doesn't have Execute in c: anymore, it's a rom resident command. Delete it from c: and will magically appear when you invoke it.
Ehhh.. .I don't think so. This is what happens when I rename Execute to DisabledExecute in C, having the kicka1200.rom from OS3.2. Maybe it's only happening with DOpus Magellan, I should have to try with WB.

Edit: With WB it starts, but with a couple of messages complaining about Execute that isn't found.
Sorry for the offtopic.

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 July 2021 at 23:28.
Old 12 July 2021, 23:13   #3704
AMIGASYSTEM

If you are using the startup-sequence of OS 3.9 it will disable some libraries of KickStart 3.2 which will create strange errors like the ones you are experiencing.
I use Peter's icon.library and different icons including DualPNG, and as mentioned before I have no problems.
Old 12 July 2021, 23:31   #3705
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Retrofan, I hope that you know that the "Custom dragging routines" of DOpus 5.82 always had a huge memory leak. You can lose some MB if you select a couple of icons and just drag them around. Your free memory can disappear rapidly and completely in a few seconds. This did only happen with P96, not with CGX.

But I've fixed that bug in the DOpus5 dragging routines and put my DOpus 5.83 into the bonus drawer of my Aminet package. Reading my IconLib.guide can be useful sometimes.

I've no idea how good or bad DOpus5 works on an OS 3.2 system. I would not expect or rely on that the 3.2 developers even tried to care about DOpus5 at all.

I was thinking in some memory problem or stack or similar, but I didn't tell because I always have plenty of memory here. I will try that routines with pleasure, master
Old 12 July 2021, 23:32   #3706
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
That's exactly my opinion. If it works it has to be by mistake or something
Quote:
Reading my IconLib.guide can be useful sometimes.
What's that?
Quote:
If you are using the startup-sequence of OS 3.9 it will disable some libraries of KickStart 3.2 which will create strange errors like the ones you are experiencing.
I use Peter's icon.library and different icons including DualPNG, and as mentioned before I have no problems.
That's a very good point. I've got a very long S-S and I should try disabling things one by one to find the culprit. That's what I like.

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 July 2021 at 23:39.
Old 12 July 2021, 23:39   #3707
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Edit: With WB it starts, but with a couple of messages complaining about Execute that isn't found.
Sorry for the offtopic.
As said on other Post Execute now is an internal command so you have to delete the physical one on file and not use paths, of course if you use a starup-sequence OS 3.9 boot this may not work.
Old 12 July 2021, 23:41   #3708
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
As said on other Post Execute now is an internal command so you have to delete the physical one on file and not use paths, of course if you use a starup-sequence OS 3.9 boot this may not work.
... Well, it works like it is having Execute there, what's the problem?
Edit: If Execute is a problem with OS3.9 and it's an internal command, why don't they release it as a normal command if it's any better than the existing one?

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 July 2021 at 23:58.
Old 12 July 2021, 23:45   #3709
AMIGASYSTEM

With some versions of Execute in the past I have encountered and reported some issues that have been corrected by the developer, now this new version may work better or include new features.

No App of OS 3.2 is not publicly released ! also the 3.2 apps do not work on OS 3.9 except for some modifications on OS 3.9

Sorry Peter for the OT
Old 12 July 2021, 23:51   #3710
PeterK

Quote:
Quote:
IconLib.guide
What's that?
Old 12 July 2021, 23:58   #3711
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:

PeterK... Oh man, now your Guide is huge

Old 13 July 2021, 00:08   #3712
PeterK

My crystal ball says that my icon.library even works under Dopus5 (5.83) and OS 3.2, but maybe not with your AKReal configuration, if you still have issues. See you tomorrow again, good night, Fernando!
Old 13 July 2021, 00:18   #3713
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
My crystal ball says that my icon.library even works under Dopus5 (5.83) and OS 3.2, but maybe not with your AKReal configuration, if you still have issues. See you tomorrow again, good night, Fernando!
Yep, it's late. And yes, I've just tried it.... and I didn't think it could even work , but yes, it does. Unfortunately, as you suggested, it keeps hanging the system while moving icons.

I don't think it's your fault. I'll start trying things, mainly changing the S-S.
Thanks for the help. I really enjoy trying this kind of things

¡¡EDIT!! I've tried with the original S-S, just changing it to use DOpus instead (LoadDB) and it doesn't give any problem at all while moving icons!. Now I've got to find where the problem is in my S-S
Edit2: I forgot to tell that I had also the WBStartup disabled, and the problem was there.

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 July 2021 at 19:27.
Old 13 July 2021, 12:14   #3714
PeterK

Retrofan, I hope that you don't try to load old 3.9 libraries with SetPatch ROMUPDATE or LoadModule/LoadResident on top of the 3.2 libraries in your startup-sequence (replacing them). The fact that the Execute command was not already resident seems to point at something like that.

Check the versions in Scout's resident list.
Old 13 July 2021, 12:14   #3715
Lisko

Quote:
Yep, it's late. And yes, I've just tried it.... and I didn't think it could even work , but yes, it does. Unfortunately, as you suggested, it keeps hanging the system while moving icons.

I don't think it's your fault. I'll start trying things, mainly changing the S-S.
Thanks for the help. I really enjoy trying this kind of things

¡¡EDIT!! I've tried with the original S-S, just changing it to use DOpus instead (LoadDB) and it doesn't give any problem at all while moving icons!. Now I've got to find where the problem is in my S-S
Start from a clean 3.2 startup-sequence and then customize it from there
Old 13 July 2021, 12:42   #3716
bubbob42

Quote:
I would not expect or rely on that the 3.2 developers even tried to care about DOpus5 at all.
Yeah, another of your negative assumptions. The bottle is half full, always. In doubt, you could just ask.

Of course we tested DOpus 5 a lot during development. And, as Lisko already wrote, Retrofan should start with a clean 3.2 install.
Old 13 July 2021, 13:19   #3717
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
Yeah, another of your negative assumptions.
... Of course we tested DOpus 5 a lot during development.
Thanks for the clarification, I thought that the developers would have a lot of other things with a higher priority to do than to care about all the quirks of DOpus5. Ok, a wrong assumption, but I don't have a negative opinion about OS 3.2 or the devs, not at all.
Old 13 July 2021, 15:09   #3718
AMIGASYSTEM

I agree, Dopus5 is rubik cube , much better than a Workbench Standard !
Old 13 July 2021, 19:05   #3719
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've found the problem
It isn't on the S-S (thanks Peter, I will change what you say).

It's a program. One that I launch from the WBStartup. It's the last one I could think of, but I'm also sure that the developer (one of the best) will fix it. It's LittleClock by Thomas Rapp. I will tell him.
Edit: The program works perfect with OS3.9 and also with OS3.2. It's my OS3.9+OS3.2 where it hangs the system.

Quote:
Retrofan, I hope that you don't try to load old 3.9 libraries with SetPatch ROMUPDATE or LoadModule/LoadResident on top of the 3.2 libraries in your startup-sequence (replacing them). The fact that the Execute command was not already resident seems to point at something like that.

Check the versions in Scout's resident list.
Ajem I have the idea that "Resident Execute Remove" didn't help much in the S-S

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 July 2021 at 20:31.
Old 13 July 2021, 19:46   #3720
PeterK

Alright, I'm glad that you could sort it out and it can be fixed.

But don't build your new distro based on AmiKit X or XE, there are still some restrictions for the distribution as explained in my IconLib.guide.

Who said something about "Resident Execute Remove" ?
You should check in Scout's resident list which versions are really loaded as resident modules, those of OS 3.2 v47 or older versions. What is the shell-seg version for example?

Last edited by PeterK; 13 July 2021 at 20:15.