English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 December 2021, 22:35   #4641
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Man View Post
Finished up GTA 5 on the PC, and I swear they've made some performance & quality of life changes since the 360 version. It ran very smoothly and looked pretty good. What surprised me the most was that it was never frustrating. I remember having to tail cars in other GTA's, vehicles being unusable (and blowing up automatically) if they were turned over, the character AI not following you properly and getting stuck, dying with a couple bullet shots, cops cheating... none of that occurred. Everything ran flawlessly. And it was all fun. The combat wasn't bad at all, and didn't drag on.

The story was pretty cool, and there was a lot of stuff I completely forgot about which made the experience better. It did drag on a little while preparing for the heists, but it wasn't too bad. Just sometimes you think "eh, I don't feel like doing a big mission" and take a break for a while. Overall it was enjoyable and worth playing again.

Since then I started Horizon Zero Dawn on the PC, which is the first time playing it. My God does this game look phenomenal. Everything from the detail, lighting, weather effects... I'm not a huge graphics freak, but this is just amazing. The Strider's light on its head literally flashes like a headlight. I LOVE the rain and how the main character holds her head when it starts getting too windy. The atmosphere changes seamlessly and it all looks great. I'm playing with ultra textures, model quality, and anistropic filtering -- with medium shadows and reflection. It runs smooth and looks amazing, with only a couple "bumps" in the cut-scenes at times. (I would post screenshots but I don't want to clutter the page. And they come in the .png format, so I'm not sure how all that works. Maybe I'll post some in the PC screenshots thread once I figure it out, lol.)

I can not tell about GTA V on 360, but my experience with the game (played about 1-2 years ago) was good and positive as well. I did play bit on xBox one and did not see much difference between PC and xBox one experience.

I finished Horizon Zero Down on PS4 few years back and that was by far my best experience with game on PS4. Nice story and game played so smooth and well. It was not too challenging to point of frustration, but it wasn't to easy either. Just about right and in proper speed with casual gameplay.

At the moment doing couple of quests in Witcher 3 daily.

Last edited by Anubis; 22 December 2021 at 22:49.
Old 22 December 2021, 23:49   #4642
Seiya

Subnautica and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
Old 23 December 2021, 00:46   #4643
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Man View Post
Finished up GTA 5 on the PC, and I swear they've made some performance & quality of life changes since the 360 version.
No doubt since it was shipped as an "enhanced version" back then They had a full 2 years to fix it all up.
Old 23 December 2021, 13:54   #4644
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I finished the main campaign in Bloodborne, and while I enjoyed the victorian aesthetics of the game, I couldn't help but feel that something was lacking. Perhaps it was the varied locations and weapons of the original Dark Souls.

I'm now well and truly in a gaming rut, and to be honest I've been feeling this way for quite awhile. Games no longer seem to give back anymore, as in excite me or enrich my day to day life. I long for the days when I couldn't wait to get my hands on a new game, then be blown away by its graphics and story as I immersed myself into its world. Nowadays I just feel like I've seen it all before, and playing games can feel like a chore.
Old 23 December 2021, 14:26   #4645
Nobby_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Skyrim... as a passive character.
Read: I don't kill living things.
Which means I do allow myself to kill undead things, which basically implies Draughr and ghosts but not vampires or werewolves.
Otherwise the game becomes a huge slog, you wouldn't even be able to kick off the mages guild quest line.
I still don't really full on attack anything because a character like this you don't pimp weapon and armor skills, so you have to get creative.
I invest all my level ups into mana, health and stamina be damned.
Why not Vamps ? Too powerful ?
Old 24 December 2021, 01:03   #4646
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
Why not Vamps ? Too powerful ?
I consider them not dead enough, they still have their wits about them. But yes, the too powerful bit would also be a problem for my wimp of a character
Old 25 December 2021, 09:49   #4647
Nobby_UK

ChromaGun as it was only £2

Played the demo for 'Syberia: The World Before'
interesting but over priced at the moment

Detroit Become Human Demo on the Desktop too
Old 29 December 2021, 23:27   #4648
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach. It would be a great game if not for poor playtesting, jank AI and a few poor design decisions. Recommended to get this if they release at least one more large patch to iron it all out.
Old 30 December 2021, 09:50   #4649
Fiery Phoenix

On to Space Quest 6 after completing the other 5. Worse one for me, feels like a slog to play through and I like the old style Sierra graphics better (although the later Larry graphics felt just fine, this feels a bit off)
Old 30 December 2021, 14:04   #4650
Havie

Disposable Hero on the CD32 - actually a really good (if hard) shooter!
Old 30 December 2021, 14:12   #4651
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehand View Post
Back on DCS World been away for a while looking for another gfx card.
Another DCS player! By far the best military flight simulator. I'm also flying a lot - mainly the F-16 and the free A-4e. I still lose visibility to enemy planes in a dogfight too often.

Yesterday I bought "Project Zomboid" for 8 Euros in the Winter Sale on GOG. Worth every cent! Such an incredible depth in this survival game! Played ten hours without noticing it...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 December 2021, 15:05   #4652
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Finished the Amiga version of 'Toki' last night for the n'th time but this time WITHOUT cheats, which got me tremendous satisfaction.

Currently I'm playing the Atari ST version of 'The Addams Family' - on real hardware - which sucks because of very poor scrolling (and push-scrolling at that, and with terrible fps to boot) but always leaves me wondering why the Amiga version didn't include the backgrounds. They don't seem THAT complicated to pull off...
Old 30 December 2021, 17:27   #4653
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Finished the Amiga version of 'Toki' last night for the n'th time but this time WITHOUT cheats, which got me tremendous satisfaction.
Respect for that! I can't even beat the third level.
Old 30 December 2021, 20:19   #4654
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
On to Space Quest 6 after completing the other 5. Worse one for me, feels like a slog to play through and I like the old style Sierra graphics better (although the later Larry graphics felt just fine, this feels a bit off)
You should try Flight of the Amazon Queen. Nice graphics and story, an Indy-like adventure in the jungle
Old 01 January 2022, 02:05   #4655
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Don't really know why you would recommend a Lucasarts-alike game to a person currently enjoying Sierra titles, it's like night and day But yeah, Flight is great.
Old 01 January 2022, 10:20   #4656
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Because he mentioned that he really likes Indiana Jones adventure games
So if he somehow missed FOTAQ, he's into a real treat.
Old 03 January 2022, 09:57   #4657
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I finished the main campaign in Return To Castle Wolfenstein. I know the multiplayer is very highly regarded but I found the single player content to be alittle basic.
Old 03 January 2022, 10:27   #4658
crazyc

Currently alternating between "worthy" which I bought myself for Xmas, and amiquake which I am finding quite playable now my tf1260 runs at 100mhz.
Old 03 January 2022, 14:23   #4659
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Finished Days of the Tentical, almost 2 times, as first time I played without saving it, and game glitched where Red Eddison will not make battery. My son loved humor, so he completed game on his xbox as well.

Played bit of Sonic on C64. Just love how well it plays, I might try to beat the game this week.
Old 03 January 2022, 16:02   #4660
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I've got quite a few games on the go and not enough time to play them all! I'm currently going through Dying Light Platinum edition on my PS4 Pro as I managed to get it quite cheap. Great game so far and quite a bit of fun setting traps and kicking zombies off buildings etc. The night creatures are not so fun though .