English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 04 October 2011, 23:32   #1
entireweb

Amiga 600 joystick problem

I have an Amiga 600 and have a problem with the joystick port. I have tried 3 different joysticks and each has the same problem. Up doesnt work, neither does fire button one. I tried a multimeter across the pins and the soldered joints on the motherboard and up and fire one dont connect. I de-soldered the connector and internally the pins are broken. I burnt out the motherboard connector for the joystick port So now what? I have read about parallel port joystick interfaces and mouse/joystick splitters. What should I do now?

Old 04 October 2011, 23:52   #2
Khyron

Just to be clear.

The pins for fire and up don't have contact when you measure through the connector? Is this what you mean by "burned out the connector"

If the you damaged the PCB when you removed the connector.
That can still be repaired by using wires to make contact to a new connector from components located near the joystick connector.
Look at the A600 shematics, and you'll see where you can make new connections if you need.

If you're worried about the finding a new connector for the joystick port, then don't worry because they are very common and you can find them at any electroincs parts store, or you can remove a working one from many other different computers or game consoles etc..
Old 05 October 2011, 01:44   #3
entireweb

Hi, yes I am aware that I could insert a new connector/socket and make contact with nearby points etc. I might do that. But I was thinking if a there was a solution regarding a parallel adapter or mouse connector splitter. If so then the space left by the empty joystick port might be of use for a VGA connector with a flicker fixer etc.

By burn out pins, I mean that when I removed the connector I ruined tracks around the connector, maybe my iron was too hot or my skills too weak

Any way thks for the reply.

Old 05 October 2011, 17:27   #4
Khyron

Quote:
Originally Posted by entireweb View Post
Hi, yes I am aware that I could insert a new connector/socket and make contact with nearby points etc. I might do that. But I was thinking if a there was a solution regarding a parallel adapter or mouse connector splitter. If so then the space left by the empty joystick port might be of use for a VGA connector with a flicker fixer etc.

By burn out pins, I mean that when I removed the connector I ruined tracks around the connector, maybe my iron was too hot or my skills too weak

Any way thks for the reply.
Connectors are usually harder to desolder if you don't have alot of practice, becuase the act like heatsinks, so people tend to overheat the contacts..

Unfortunately the parallel adapter only works with games that are programmed for it, and it won't work with any game.

The mouse/joysitck splitter still expects to be pluggin into the same connector, and most games expect the mouse on port1 and the joystick on port 2.. so there really isn't a solution.

you're probably better off putting a new connector on the joystick port, and removing the RF box inside and then place the VGA connector there.