English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 August 2018, 19:23   #1
superfrog

Bridgeboard VGA aspect ratio

Hi Toni. Using BB with DX11 in my setup, the fullscreen PC VGA display aspect ratio is not quite right. It is stretched out too much horizontally. Same config but with DX9 displays correctly. Are you able to reproduce this, and if so, it is possible to fix the output with DX11 so the aspect ratio is correct? Configs attached. Thanks, and please let me know if you need anything else to help with testing this.
Attached Files
File Type: uae A2000 2.0 A2286 VGA Beta DX9.uae (12.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: uae A2000 2.0 A2286 VGA Beta DX11.uae (12.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 21 August 2018, 19:31   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Hi Toni. Using BB with DX11 in my setup, the fullscreen PC VGA display aspect ratio is not quite right. It is stretched out too much horizontally. Same config but with DX9 displays correctly. Are you able to reproduce this, and if so, it is possible to fix the output with DX11 so the aspect ratio is correct? Configs attached. Thanks, and please let me know if you need anything else to help with testing this.
Standard question: is this 4.1.0 specific? (I am not so sure..), also without screenshots it is not very useful report..
Old 21 August 2018, 19:36   #3
superfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Standard question: is this 4.1.0 specific? (I am not so sure..), also without screenshots it is not very useful report..

Yes, I just realized this is not 4.1.0 specific and was about to delete but you caught me first

It is not 4.1.0 specific. Sorry. Which thread is the best to post this in? I also have a question about interlace display issues DX11 vs DX9, also not 4.1.0 specific that I'd like to ask. Please advise and I will post in correct thread. Thank you!

EDIT: Also, is difficult to post screenshots because this is behavior that only shows up in fullscreen mode. I would have to maybe take a screenshot with my phone camera or something, if that would help. I'll try that.
Old 21 August 2018, 19:40   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Photos are also fine. (But are you sure it isn't your GPU or monitor scaling it? Fullscreen is "different")
Old 21 August 2018, 19:44   #5
superfrog

Quote:
Photos are also fine. (But are you sure it isn't your GPU or monitor scaling it? Fullscreen is "different")

I have filter set to no scaling, using native resolution.
Old 21 August 2018, 19:55   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

How can you not have scaling when VGA resolution surely isn't same as native resolution?

Log is also required because nothing about resolution is in config file. (It is decided by PC software, not UAE)
Old 21 August 2018, 20:16   #7
superfrog

Quote:
How can you not have scaling when VGA resolution surely isn't same as native resolution?

Log is also required because nothing about resolution is in config file. (It is decided by PC software, not UAE)

Logs and config attached. Not sure what resolution it's using in PC fullscreen mode. If I had to guess, I'd guess maybe 800x600? It seems to be selecting a resolution, and it's not the native resolution because its kind of blurry in that way that non-native resolutions display on an LCD.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to attach screenshots. Will upload in a bit...

EDIT: Just to clarify, 1st/left is DX9, 2nd/right is DX11.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinUAE 4.1.0 x86 VGA RTG DX9.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	600.5 KB
ID:	59437   Click image for larger version

Name:	WinUAE 4.1.0 x86 VGA RTG DX11.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	708.5 KB
ID:	59438  
Attached Files
File Type: zip WinUAE_DX11-DX9 Aspect Ratio Comparison.zip (14.2 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by superfrog; 21 August 2018 at 20:32. Reason: Upload Screenshots
Old 21 August 2018, 21:22   #8
DamienD
Banned

Just to chime in; the exact same thing happens to me when using DX9 vs DX11 i.e. DX11 is always scaled / stretched like your 2nd image so it's probably not related to Bridgeboard emulation.

As Toni mentioned, you need to make sure scaling is turned off on your video card / cards.

The problem for me is that with my inbuilt "Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000" card all I have is as follows in regards to scaling options:

Unfortunately with my "NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M" there are no scaling options available to adjust.

...my laptop is an old "Acer Aspire 5951G" from 2011; these are the specs.

I just live with using DX9.

It is funny though when setting "No scaling" through WinUAE it works as expected with DX9 but not DX11.
Old 21 August 2018, 21:50   #9
superfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Just to chime in; the exact same thing happens to me when using DX9 vs DX11 i.e. DX11 is always scaled / stretched like your 2nd image so it's probably not related to Bridgeboard emulation.
Yes I was just about to reply back that I can see the same behavior with native (as opposed to RTG) display output. I can duplicate it with a config as simple as the KS 1.3 boot screen and no expansions added. Screenshots attached.

I have an nVidia GeForce 425M GPU. Probably pretty similar to yours, mine is an old (2009) Sony laptop.

Is this something that needs to be fixed outside of WinUAE or is it something to do with how WinUAE interacts with the GPU thru DirectX?

(Oops the pix are upside down but you can see what's going on well enough.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DX9.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	59447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DX11.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	59448  
Old 21 August 2018, 23:29   #10
DamienD
Banned

Just to add to this issue we face with DX11; the scaling only happens when in "Fullscreen"...

In "Windowed" all is good

Edit: sorry for the off topic Toni, please feel free to move superfrog's and my posts out of this thread. I would do it for you but not sure what's best to call the new thread or if it's even fixable with our ancient laptops.