English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 13 April 2017, 15:05   #1
chocsplease

Question Help Please how do you add a host to Roadshow TCPIP stack?

Hi,

I am trying to configure the TCPIP stack Roadshow - having finally given up on 'Easy' (HA!) NetPro.

I am connected to my network and can browse the internet but am stuck in adding smbfs hosts to the devs:internet/hosts file.

The examples are unclear to say the least can someone post an annotated example line for both fixed ip addressed and dhcp hosts?

Many thanks.
Old 13 April 2017, 15:33   #2
emufan

ip-address hostname
192.168.0.10 RemoteWinBox
192.168.4.33 AnotherMachine

the ip adress depends on your LAN address space

here is a good guide
Old 13 April 2017, 15:34   #3
patrik

it is like /etc/hosts on unix - ip address followed by hostname and aliases

Code:
192.168.0.10 my.superserver.something server personalname
Old 13 April 2017, 17:58   #4
chocsplease

Many thanks for the very helpful replies.

I have now discovered that Roadshow appears to be able to run its own dns server, in that I can ping the pc's name without it being in the hosts file.

I can add the pc-name as a host in SMBMounter's window and the share mounts. But it seems to be a bit flaky. Sometimes the share will mount and display an error saying it cannot connect to the host, resulting in me having to reboot the Amiga to unmount it. Sometimes the pc's dvd drive mounts, sometimes it does not. All a bit odd.

Has anyone any ideas on this? I'll continue to play, at least it is now sort of working, but help and advice is as always much appreciated.
Old 13 April 2017, 19:43   #5
nogginthenog
Amigan

Try using the IP address of your PC rather than the name. I assign fixed IP addresses to all my devices on my router.

Be careful with SMBFS. I have noticed some odd things that I can't pin down... Mostly it works fine but I have seen corruptions and hanging with large files.

I moved to NFS. Requires a Linux (or similar) host.
Old 14 April 2017, 11:26   #6
chocsplease

Thanks for the advice Noggin, although my PC has a Linux setup (Ubuntu) I tend to use it in windows 7 more and have my shares on the windows setup.

Touch wood so far I have not had any corruption, but I have only been transferring small files, a few 1000k or less. I tend to use Amiga Explorer (AE) for larger transfers as it appears to be a lot faster.

This however brings me to a new problem.

AE needs the Amiga to have a fixed IP address. This should not be an issue. I have given the Amiga a fixed ip in Devs:NetInterfaces, set the router's ip in Devs:Internet/Routes and defined DNS servers in devs:Internet/name_resolution.

I can see the internet, browse etc - but the SMBFS shares have stopped working. When I ping the pcs name I get a reply from the internet, not my local network.

I think this is due to the dns servers being on the internet (so they don't know about my network).

Does anyone know how to setup Roadshow so that it looks for hosts on the local network and the internet?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03 May 2017, 00:25   #7
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Try setting your router as your default DNS server, that's likely the config used when you DHCP'd. It should know your local devices, and will pass anything it doesn't know on to external DNS servers.
Old 31 May 2017, 21:40   #8
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Try using the IP address of your PC rather than the name. I assign fixed IP addresses to all my devices on my router.

Be careful with SMBFS. I have noticed some odd things that I can't pin down... Mostly it works fine but I have seen corruptions and hanging with large files.

I moved to NFS. Requires a Linux (or similar) host.
I'm seeing similar issues with smbfs. Files over about 500mb always seem to fail to transfer.
Old 01 June 2017, 09:43   #9
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
How much did you have stack set for SMBFS? IIRC it was recommended to have something like 65536 for it at some point...