English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 08 December 2022, 11:18   #1
CaptainPlanet

Tips to hack Pinball Fantasies to use joystick?

Hi there. Maybe this has already been done but if not, I wonder how difficult it would be to do. Basically, I want to control the flippers on Pinball Fantasies using my ancient arcade joystick buttons instead of the keyboard (reason being that the stick is in front of the telly and keyboard is not). I have already mapped one button to 'up' for use in platform games, so I 'just' need the left flipper as 'fire' and right flipper as 'up' I wondered if there was a way of stopping the program (perhaps using WinUAE?) and figuring out the keyboard mapping...hacking it to look at a different 'thing'...well, I don't know - I can program a computer but this level of hacking is currently not within my knowledge, hence me asking here! Thanks in advance :-)
Old 08 December 2022, 11:45   #2
sneeker

If your using winuae, you could use joy2key under windows and map the fire buttons to the shift keys, then whenever you press the button, it presses the corresponding key on the keyboard.
Old 08 December 2022, 11:53   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeker View Post
If your using winuae, you could use joy2key under windows and map the fire buttons to the shift keys, then whenever you press the button, it presses the corresponding key on the keyboard.
In WinUAE you can use Host -> Input for that. No need to use Joy2Key.
Old 08 December 2022, 13:25   #4
CaptainPlanet

Thanks for the responses but I'm using a real Amiga (those old Pinball games never scroll correctly in emulators for me, it should be perfect!)

So yeah, I was looking for either a little program that could remap keys to joystick on the Amiga itself or a a way of hacking the binary files to do the same. It's a crazy long-shot of an idea but you all seem a friendly bunch on this forum, so thought it worth asking :-)