English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 09 July 2023, 08:27   #41
Calabazam

I have not upgraded to OS 3.2 (or 3.5 or 3.9) because i am perfectly fine with my own patched OS 3.1. I have everything already, including very large drives and enough candy, stable and working. I prefer to build on the latest Commodore made OS and choose whatever i want rather than using what others want into the OS.
Besides, my computers are setup for a very long time that counts in decades and i don't feel like resinstalling from scratch.
I think a vast majority of users are still using OS3.1.
Only problem is that there is no ReAction for OS3.1 (there is ClassAct its ancestor, or there is MUI.
Old 09 July 2023, 18:08   #42
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
I prefer to build on the latest Commodore made OS
I always thought 3.1 was a product of the time Escom owned the Amiga and sold the A1200 Magic Pack which came with 3.1. Whereas Commodore packs always came with 3.0? Or did Escom take over from Commodore at just the point that 3.1 was ready? Genuine question, hope it doesn't come across as trolling.
Old 09 July 2023, 18:18   #43
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
I always thought 3.1 was a product of the time Escom owned the Amiga and sold the A1200 Magic Pack which came with 3.1. Whereas Commodore packs always came with 3.0? Or did Escom take over from Commodore at just the point that 3.1 was ready? Genuine question, hope it doesn't come across as trolling.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Amiga OS 3.0 was released in 1992 and version 3.1 between 1993 (for the CD32) and 1994 (for other Amiga models). Amiga OS 3.1 was the last version released by Commodore.
Old 14 July 2023, 13:03   #44
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
Question for everyone who hasn't upgraded to AmigaOS 3.2 yet:
For what reason aren't you upgrading? Is it just because it's not free?
Reason 1a: it would be nice to have (I like the idea that it's a cleaner and bugfixed version that allows to get rid of some patches), but I don't actually need it - whenever I use AmigaOS is just for developing hardware-hitting stuff, and AmigaOS 3.9 works just fine for that.
Reason 1b: it is not available in digital form (it's about time we stop producing physical stuff when it isn't strictly necessary*);
Reason 2: I didn't like some things I've read about it (one thing that stuck to mind is that file type recognition has been implemented in icon.library, which is a terrible design choice that, moreover, makes me fear that other similarly terrible choices might have been done).
Reason 3: I didn't get the answers to all the questions I asked and I didn't like some answers I received.
Reason 4: I don't like that developers do not get paid (although I know it's their own choice) and that the money goes instead into the legal dispute (regardless of the fact that I don't side with any party).
Reason 5: I'm not exactly swimming in money.

*I'm guilty of having done that myself. As declared already elsewhere, that's the reason why I have stopped publishing games on physical media and why I regret to have done it in a few cases.
Old 18 July 2023, 13:06   #45
Nightfox

So far there have been 2 videos about AmigaGPT on YouTube from Proteque - Classic Beige Nostalgia and Dan Wood. See updated first post to watch them!
Old 18 July 2023, 17:36   #46
Nightfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hUMUNGUs View Post
Would plugins be possible ?
Unfortunately, not at this stage. The OpenAI API doesn't provide such luxuries to third party apps
Old 18 July 2023, 23:48   #47
klx300r

Thumbs up

wow my teenagers tell me about this ChatGP AI stuff about it doing school essays and math problems etc. and here I am checking my Amiga forums as I normally have done and still do and even here ChatGP talk

cool to see this new AI stuff on our miggies today
Old 19 July 2023, 09:39   #48
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
For what reason aren't you upgrading? Is it just because it's not free? I assumed most people who use their Amiga on a regular basis for more than just games would be running the latest operating system.
Why upgrade when AmigaOS 3.1 works fine?

Also for the purpose of retro and nostalgia in my opinion, it feels kind of wrong updating the core OS.

The update hysteria in modern times are mostly driven by security fixes/patches and feature creep, it has gone so far a software project is considered "dead" if no one updates it for a while, regardless if it works fine and is secure. Besides, I don't think security is relevant on the classic 68k based Amiga computers, it's wide open, 3.1 or 3.2 doesn't matter in that regard.

Thinking back, there was a time when you for example could end up using v1.12 of some software, and that was fine, all the major bugs had been fixed, the program worked, so you ended up using it for years, and this was normal, no feature creep, no bloat. Food for thought.

Anyway, I fully understand those who want to update, and there are some interesting features in AmigaOS 3.2, so do whatever makes you happy.

BTW:

If you really want to make AmigaGPT backwards compatible, why not use GadToolsBox or similar to create a GUI and generate native Intuition source code for your project instead of MUI?

Last edited by modrobert; 19 July 2023 at 10:07. Reason: Added suggestion.
Old 19 July 2023, 14:54   #49
Nightfox

I have been told you can run AmigaGPT on AmigaOS 3.9 if you replace texteditor.gadget with the version from AmigaOS 3.2.2.
Old 19 July 2023, 18:09   #50
Calabazam

Perhaps but Win 3.9 does have ReAction so indeed it is just a matter of file version update, but still won't work for good old OS 3.1 unfortunately.
Old 22 July 2023, 14:14   #51
Nightfox

AmigaGPT 1.1.0 has been released!

- Now supports characters from Western languages other than English
- Blank responses from OpenAI no longer cause a crash

https://github.com/sacredbanana/Amig...ases/tag/1.1.0
Old 30 September 2023, 00:22   #52
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hi people:

I can understand what several people are telling in this thread about that you need to have OS3.2 to use it. I was thinking the same, but well... at least it works...

I'm planning to include AmigaGPT in my next AKReal 9.2 update. I was "ready" to pack all of the files but then I found something very rare:

AmigaGPT does work "from time to time" in AKReal with KS3.1 OS3.9BB2.

Please excuse my so bad mobile, but I had to record it; if I wouldn't you shouldn't believe what I say: [ Show youtube player ]

This is what I say in the video:
Shit quality video just to show some rare behaviour of AmigaGPT.
As you may know, AmigaGPT should only work with OS3.2... But it does here in my next AKReal 9.2 update too as you can see. So rare that I've stopped my update. Maybe someone could use this info and make an appropiate launcher?
When I add the API key it works perfect as if was using OS3.2. I can even close the program and open it again on the fly since you get it working the first time. It will have the same problems on the next boot, but... hey!

Edit: You could think that my actual launcher will work changing what I've just done in the video... Nope. What I know is that using/changing diferent things from my Script, AmigaGPT will run later FROM my Magellan Start Menus . Now, after the video and a reboot (as an example) AmigaGPT won't load till I change what I've enabled to be disabled.... That's how it is working, so RARE !!

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 September 2023 at 16:23.
Old 02 October 2023, 04:31   #53
Nightfox

hey there, loving the custom icon!

ive now set up a fresh install of 3.9 and will try to figure out what is going on
Old 02 October 2023, 23:52   #54
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I don't know if this so rare behaviour works in any other OS. I've got some updates implemented here in my next AKReal 9.2 update.

To tell the truth, It's hard for me to comment such "idiot" changes to try if it works or not

I want to release my update as soon as it's possible so you'll be able to watch this:

[ Show youtube player ]

I'm just changing a script I've got there. I don't even run it. I just change it and save it changed. Then I change it again to be.. as it was. Then I click on my Start menu and... It works perfectly well .

Please do not blame me, it isn't my fault that it wants to be working here.

Edit: And also... It only runs from my Magellan's StartMenus as you can see. I do believe that a proper script-launcher could be made, now that we know how to start it playing.

Edit2: Now I've seen that another thing also works. I do open my Start menu and I click on "Radio", "Mods & Old Skool", ModFM" and later I close it. If then I click on my Start menu on AmigaGPT it opens now.

Last edited by Retrofan; 03 October 2023 at 23:23.
Old 04 October 2023, 16:05   #55
Nightfox

haha your hacky scripts are no longer needed!

Exciting news for all those who do not have AmigaOS 3.2.

I have just released a new version FULLY backwards compatible with AmigaOS 3.9. No Boing Bags needed.

Enjoy!

https://github.com/sacredbanana/Amig...ases/tag/1.2.0

And for those wanting it to be compatible with Commodore's AmigaOS 3.1, that simply can't be done without a significant rewrite to use something like MUI since I use the ReAction framework which was introduced with AmigaOS 3.5. But hey, the repo is public with an MIT license attached, so go nuts changing it however you want XD
Old 04 October 2023, 18:16   #56
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Excellent. I told you it was "sometimes" working

Last edited by Retrofan; 05 October 2023 at 08:07.
Old 05 October 2023, 03:20   #57
Nightfox

yup haha thanks for all your help
Old 06 October 2023, 22:58   #58
Calabazam

Do you possibly plan a MorphOS version? That would be a step toward MUI, a bit closer to OS3.1
Old 09 October 2023, 13:32   #59
Nightfox

I'd love to, though I dont have a machine capable of running it and I've tried and failed to emulate it. If there's a proper tutorial on how to emulate morphOS let me know
Old 09 October 2023, 13:48   #60
derSammler

Quote:
Amiga OS 3.0 was released in 1992 and version 3.1 between 1993 (for the CD32) and 1994 (for other Amiga models). Amiga OS 3.1 was the last version released by Commodore.
While this is correct, that statement on Wikipedia misses some important info: the CD32 was the first Amiga to come with Kickstart 3.1. The Workbench 3.1 did not exist at that time. It took almost a year before that became available, too.

But it did come from Commodore. I own both versions of the WB 3.1 disk set: one with the ESCOM labels, and an original one with Commodore labels.

Quote:
For what reason aren't you upgrading? Is it just because it's not free?
Because there is no need to do so only because 3.2 exists...

I bought 3.1.4 when it came out. I decided not to buy 3.2 because seeing how fast they abandoned support for 3.1.4 (only a single bug-fix update), it would be wasted money. Maybe they announce 3.3 tomorrow, which will again cost money and stop support for 3.2. No, thanks. 3.1.4 works great for me and I'll stick with it for the time being. If people make their software work on 3.2 only, I don't care. It's their issue with limiting the (already few) people who can run the software.

Last edited by derSammler; 09 October 2023 at 14:02.