English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: What level of support/testing should game devs cover
They should support accelerators in all their prods 35 45.45%
They should only target stock Amigas, let the WHD team fix the gltiches 36 46.75%
Hardware manufacturers should enable a way for devs to disable their product programmatically 5 6.49%
They should go to another platform like SNES/MD/NEOGEO/C64/ZX 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02 March 2021, 16:49   #161
DMWCashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
That would be a case of shrugging your shoulders and moving on in my view. If you are very enthusiastic about it, you could inform the manufacturer (which is still available in this case) and see what he thinks about it. I'm pretty sure he will just as well shrug his shoulders and not care to find out what's the problem.
We are talking about hobby development right, you go on like we are talking mainstream full price AAA titles with huge development budgets.

This is all about fun, that is why most of the developers do this. Testing on non standard configs, and non real Amiga hardware is NOT Fun.

Can we start a thread up, where you show us how to do a OS running parallax scroller. We all still waiting to learn from you.
Old 02 March 2021, 16:50   #162
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWCashy View Post
Questions if you develop for a day job, as anyone that does would know real world environments are not so black and white. Testing can take exponentially more time that developing the application, so adding an unknown number of configurations to the mix, is just crazy talk.
Did you actually read what I wrote? Test your code on the A500+512KB if that is your target machine. Test it in UAE with CPU set to fastest and no immediate blitter. If it also works there, your code will most probably run on >90% of the Amigas out there. This is hardly an unknown number of configurations and the time for testing is hardly going to grow exponentially.
Old 02 March 2021, 16:52   #163
DMWCashy

Quote:
Did you actually read what I wrote? Test your code on the A500+512KB if that is your target machine. Test it in UAE with CPU set to fastest and no immediate blitter. If it also works there, your code will most probably run on >90% of the Amigas out there. This is hardly an unknown number of configurations and the time for testing is hardly going to grow exponentially.
Is this an all versions of Kickstart approved testing strategy?
Old 02 March 2021, 16:55   #164
grond

Quote:
We are talking about hobby development right, you go on like we are talking mainstream full price AAA titles with huge development budgets.
You mean in the above example given by mcgeezer it will take hundreds of hours to run the executable in UAE, note the problem and then find that he should first have done a loop waiting for line (x-1) and then for line(x)? Or use WaitTOF() from graphics.library?
Old 02 March 2021, 16:56   #165
grond

Quote:
Is this an all versions of Kickstart approved testing strategy?
Did you ever code a game or demo for the Amiga?
Old 02 March 2021, 16:59   #166
DMWCashy

Quote:
You mean in the above example given by mcgeezer it will take hundreds of hours to run the executable in UAE, note the problem and then find that he should first have done a loop waiting for line (x-1) and then for line(x)? Or use WaitTOF() from graphics.library?
That was one example, one of the main points of retro coding, is to squeeze every last drop out of the hardware. If you start adding limits, OS and support for all addons, that becomes impossible.

Come learn to develop on the Amiga, do not worry if you game does not run on everything, people will just call it shit, and say you're a bad coder. Fuck it, lets all moved to develop on a megadrive, leave the Amiga for people like you!
Old 02 March 2021, 17:02   #167
DMWCashy

Quote:
Did you ever code a game or demo for the Amiga?
Yes, but I have never called myself a good or bad coder, or called anyone else out on their efforts. I have worked in software for 25 years, and met many coders. The work by most on here is well above average, if not expert, to brand them with bad coder when you have supplied nothing yourself or even told us of your experience is just darn rude.
Old 02 March 2021, 17:34   #168
grond

Quote:
Yes
So what OS functions would you use that are likely to vary across AmigaOS versions?
Old 02 March 2021, 17:38   #169
DMWCashy

Quote:
So what OS functions would you use that are likely to vary across AmigaOS versions?
Wrong person to ask, I am A500 all the way OS off.

So what is your coding experience? can we ask that if you are not going to supply any links to your work!
Old 02 March 2021, 17:44   #170
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
That would be a case of shrugging your shoulders and moving on in my view. If you are very enthusiastic about it, you could inform the manufacturer (which is still available in this case) and see what he thinks about it. I'm pretty sure he will just as well shrug his shoulders and not care to find out what's the problem.
Why not do that with all of these cases..
Old 02 March 2021, 18:04   #171
grond

Quote:
Wrong person to ask, I am A500 all the way OS off.
Which was readily apparent from your comment about testing game code across all AmigaOS versions: you clearly do not know how little OS-involvement it takes to cleanly code a game. This even more so than in the early 90s when we couldn't be sure the hardware registers were going to stay in the same place forever since there won't be any new Amigas anyway.

There is good startup code available for allocating what you need (memory, blitter, sound channels). This functionality has been the same forever. There is no reason why AllocMem() would yield different results on say kickstart 1.2 or 3.9. I also wrote OS-compliant self-modifying code when I made a 3D routine and ran out of processor registers (I put the constant-per-frame values into the immediates of the instructions).

Quote:
So what is your coding experience? can we ask that if you are not going to supply any links to your work!
I already wrote that above: I wrote demo code (a lot of it OS-compliant) and an OS-compliant jump'n'run tech demo, all in asm. Writing assembly code for the Amiga was what led me to become a microchip developer, so technically I am no programmer.
Old 02 March 2021, 18:09   #172
outlawal2

Options in poll are too restrictive, but the entire question is a bit ridiculous. There is no way to support every possible configuration especially with something as diverse as the Amiga. And we are very lucky that ANYONE is developing anything for the Amiga at this point. A developer should code to a particular standard whether that be abog standard Amiga 500, or an Amiga 1200 etc, probably based on chipset and call it good. As long as they fully support what they say it is supposed to run on all is good. Now if they say it runs on an a1200 and it doesn't then you have something to complain about, but no one can code a game that would run on any and all configurations. Hell if that were the case then why have different configs at all if it looks and acts the same on all setups? And conversely for the folks that will say it should run on all configs no matter what, then you are asking devs to code 15 different varieties of the same game and that is totally unreasonable.
Old 02 March 2021, 18:09   #173
DMWCashy

Quote:
I already wrote that above: I wrote demo code (a lot of it OS-compliant) and an OS-compliant jump'n'run tech demo, all in asm. Writing assembly code for the Amiga was what led me to become a microchip developer, so technically I am no programmer.
But can we see any of this, wouldn't this code be useful to the community.

What microchips have you developed ?
Old 02 March 2021, 18:15   #174
grond

Quote:
But can we see any of this, wouldn't this code be useful to the community.
No, you can't. Or perhaps you already did. It doesn't matter. The questions about what I wrote are really about dick size comparison. You can sit there by yourself with your ruler, I won't join you.

Quote:
What microchips have you developed ?
My first project was developing a 10GHz frontend in CMOS for data communication. That was in 2000. Why do you care? Why is it of any relevance?
Old 02 March 2021, 18:21   #175
DMWCashy

Quote:
No, you can't. Or perhaps you already did. It doesn't matter. The questions about what I wrote are really about dick size comparison. You can sit there by yourself with your ruler, I won't join you.
I have not called anyone out, or said anything about what I have done. You have gone on about how things are done, how you have done them correctly, and have work out there but refuse to share. How is this a dick size comprasion lol, I have done nothing in Amiga code since the 90s. You seem to have a real attitude, are you ok?
Old 02 March 2021, 18:59   #176
Ernst Blofeld
<optimized out>

This thread has just confirmed to me that I was right to drop the Amiga project I was working on.
Old 02 March 2021, 19:02   #177
DMWCashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst Blofeld View Post
This thread has just confirmed to me that I was right to drop the Amiga project I was working on.
You have dropped your 3d project?
Old 02 March 2021, 19:16   #178
Ernst Blofeld
<optimized out>

Quote:
You have dropped your 3d project?
Yes. Couldn't even ask questions without people telling me that I shouldn't be attempting what I was, and now if I realise that if I do finish it I'll just get another kind of negativity to deal with.
Old 02 March 2021, 19:45   #179
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
The work by most on here is well above average, if not expert, to brand them with bad coder when you have supplied nothing yourself or even told us of your experience is just darn rude.
Quote:
You seem to have a real attitude, are you ok?
Best lines of text I've read in a long time on EAB... and ain't that the truth

Hence why when I was a GMod I banned grond after a very heated "Vampire illegality" thread where he was very vocal and threatening towards EAB.

...but he somehow got it reversed a month or so afterwards and says "I did nothing wrong"

Give me a break... you're displaying the same characteristics in this thread. Did you stop to notice that it's just you that are getting developers' backs up and causing arguments

Last edited by DamienD; 02 March 2021 at 19:52.
Old 02 March 2021, 19:47   #180
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Dude, I have seen two glitches just last week that are not present on any other machine I have tested on. One on the A1000 and the other one on the CD32.

In theory you might be right. In real life, you will crash hard with this attitude.
And that's the reason it's hard for me to take your talk serious here.

It's obvious you don't have the experience of developing and testing on a wide range of Amiga chipsets, configs and mediums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst Blofeld View Post
Yes. Couldn't even ask questions without people telling me that I shouldn't be attempting what I was, and now if I realise that if I do finish it I'll just get another kind of negativity to deal with.
That's sad, mate. Loved the stuff you were doing.
Just create what you want to create and screw those people who can only theorize and get nothing done themselves.