Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 September 2014, 00:58   #21
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Interesting...

Could you include a programmed PIC 18F26K20-I/SP (I think that's the right one) with TinyBootloader & the new firmware from Mathesar?

I think they RRP about £2? You can even keep the old PIC
That shouldn't be a problem.
Old 19 September 2014, 21:17   #22
Mathesar

I have uploaded a new version of the PIC18F26K20 firmware here:
http://www.minimig.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=629

The new version has a new ADF trackloader that fixes loading problems with titles like Darkmere, Agony, Dane and others.
It also implements scrolling long filenames similair to the ARM version .

Quote:
I still have to try HDD part, haven't tried it before as I have standard minimig 1.1 with 2MB ram so WHDLoad is out.
Mine is only 2Mbyte as well. But even without WHDload an HDF harddisk is still usefull. Some games are HD installable without WHDload like Dune II. The HDF speedup is one of the big advantages of the 26K20 version! it's fun to boot into workbench on a Minimig in turbo mode.
Old 25 September 2014, 23:22   #23
Solo761

I finally tried new version and I'm really impressed, I didn't expect that file name scroll would be so fluid, and more importantly ADF compatibility is really better. Lotus Turbo Esprit III didn't work with original PIC and previous version. In this one it boots perfectly. Great work .
Old 28 January 2019, 15:05   #24
Mathesar

Bump!

This is an old thread but when cleaning up my stash of electronics parts I found some PIC18F26K20 controllers. I have programmed them with the latest version found here:
http://www.minimig.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=629
They thus also include the bugfix by gamma0511

For those who haven't followed the thread.
The PIC18F26K20 is a replacement for the Minimig PIC16LF252 controller.
It is a sort of "mini-ARM" upgrade. It has almost all of the features of the ARM controller board and is almost as fast when using harddisk files. I also has much better ADF compatibility than the original version.

If anyone is interested, I can send them for just the cost of the chip and shipping.
Old 29 January 2019, 13:50   #25
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I'd be interested in one.

My MiniMig has long since been replaced with a MiSTer but maybe I'll upgrade it and offer it to a friend.
Old 30 January 2019, 05:10   #26
Heywood

Hey Mathesar

I was able to find a PIC on ebay and eventually bumble my way through programming it late last year, so I don't need to grab one off you but just wanted to drop a note to say thanks for your work!

For those that have a MiniMig lying about that don't have the ARM upgrade, this is definitely worth pursuing.
Old 30 January 2019, 19:22   #27
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I'd be interested in one.

My MiniMig has long since been replaced with a MiSTer but maybe I'll upgrade it and offer it to a friend.
I think the chips were around 3 euros, posting is 1,45 over regular mail making it 4,45 euros per chip. The ARM version costs more .
Old 30 January 2019, 19:23   #28
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
Hey Mathesar

I was able to find a PIC on ebay and eventually bumble my way through programming it late last year, so I don't need to grab one off you but just wanted to drop a note to say thanks for your work!

For those that have a MiniMig lying about that don't have the ARM upgrade, this is definitely worth pursuing.
Glad you like it. I especially like the huge hardfile speed increase
Old 26 March 2021, 13:43   #29
Mathesar

Latest release of this firmware
KGL140914.zip
EDIT: this is the version from 2014 which I posted here as the files are no longer to be found on minimig.net.

Last edited by Mathesar; 26 March 2021 at 15:28.
Old 26 March 2021, 14:19   #30
Heywood

Hi Mathesar,

Thanks for making this available, I'm interested in giving this a shot - just to double check the procedure in using the how to update the firmware using tiny bootloader if I may:
  • The bootloader should already be installed from the first time round the firmware loaded onto the PIC
  • Set the Minimig Serial jumper to MCU (instead of the normal FPGA)
  • Connect a Serial cable between the MiniMig and my PC
  • Use http://www.etc.ugal.ro/cchiculita/so...bootloader.htm to send the new PIC code (KGL140914.hex)
Old 26 March 2021, 15:04   #31
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
Thanks for making this available, I'm interested in giving this a shot - just to double check the procedure in using the how to update the firmware using tiny bootloader if I may:
(For the avoidance of confusion, I believe this is the same firmware as was previously posted back in 2014 - I asked Mathesar if he still had it, and he's kindly posted it here since the minimig.net forum previously linked isn't there any more.)
Old 27 March 2021, 07:03   #32
Heywood

Ah okay - I did check the readme and while it did seem to be from way back when, I wasnt sure if I was missing out on something new that somehow didn't get wider distribution from when it was released.

In this case, my upgrade process is quite easy
  • Do nothing
Old 07 May 2021, 23:31   #33
MrDBUG

Hello ! Barging in on the thread a little - I have one PIC 1,1 and one ARMbased 1,1
I have a lot of problems with the ARM one - disk access has a tendency to "crash" the activity light stays on and then needs a hard reboot (power off and on via powerstrip switch on the floor) - Im not sure what I'm doing when it crashes, quite odd. :-/ just wanted to ask if anyone had experience with this - its been like that since I got it. From AmigaKit some years ago .. 4 MB ram btw. Otherwise the 1.1 is a lovely MiniMig. Better Image quality than for example the TC64 or the MiST I think. And the 68000 is nice to have instead of softcore... Well thanks for any input..
Old 07 May 2021, 23:44   #34
robinsonb5

When you say "disk access", do you mean floppy disk, HDFs or both? Does it make any difference if you're reading or writing?

(Wasn't there a hardware mod of some kind which allowed the SPI speed to increase when using the ARM? Make sure you're not using the fast SPI mode if your board doesn't have the mod!)

And yes, the Minimig's still a very nice board to have.
Old 08 May 2021, 07:32   #35
Mathesar

Yeah, what Robinsonb5 says. Make sure your ARM board is set to normal SPI speed or to have your board modded.

btw, any interest to upgrade your pic based Minimig?
Old 10 May 2021, 17:30   #36
MrDBUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
When you say "disk access", do you mean floppy disk, HDFs or both? Does it make any difference if you're reading or writing?

(Wasn't there a hardware mod of some kind which allowed the SPI speed to increase when using the ARM? Make sure you're not using the fast SPI mode if your board doesn't have the mod!)

And yes, the Minimig's still a very nice board to have.
Hey ! Thanks for reply ! Im not 100% sure - but I think its on read. I have to investigate more. And I saw the option for fast SPI mode but I dont think its enabled :-( Have to investigate and try to replicate the occurrence reliably, only thing I'm 100% sure right here is that I have to hard reboot (powercycle) to get it working again !

EDIT: Seems its on read from hdfs !

Last edited by MrDBUG; 10 May 2021 at 22:40.
Old 10 May 2021, 17:32   #37
MrDBUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
Yeah, what Robinsonb5 says. Make sure your ARM board is set to normal SPI speed or to have your board modded.

btw, any interest to upgrade your pic based Minimig?
Might be !! I just hope I dont break it swapping chips ! :-( Ten thumbs ... ! )

Any price for a new chip ?

I might be interested in two ! Always good to have one in reserve and the next owner can swap the chips if I don't dare myself.
I even have a case from "the daddy" that I haven't mounted it in yet :-D
Still using the plexicase.

Last edited by MrDBUG; 10 May 2021 at 22:38.
Old 26 May 2021, 00:21   #38
MrDBUG

And I just wonder how big SD (SDHC?) cards the MiniMig 1.1 supports ? ARM or PIC (oldish PIC) ? And btw what is the most recent MiniMig core (or ARM firmware?)

And the SPI speed does that have anything to do with CPU turbo too ?
Old 16 January 2022, 13:21   #39
MrDBUG

Just read on A1k that Sascha - Boing4000 is no longer with us :-(
what a loss :-( He was mr Minimig.net for one. its a few months back even. I wondered why there were no more postings and then I found out he had been sick and passed away.
RIP boing4000 !
Old 16 January 2022, 15:04   #40
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Oh no! He helped me with my prototype minimig trying to get it working again after a decade in a drawer. RIP boing4000 whoever you were