English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 20 February 2021, 23:05   #1
Akiko

Wing Commander CD32 Specal edition

I fancy completing Wing Commander again, but it seems a bit sluggish on a stock CD32, and graphics corrupt when playing it accelerated with TF330.

Does anyone know where I can find the CD32 Special edition of this, or any version that works well with an accelerated CD32?

Cheers.

Last edited by Akiko; 20 February 2021 at 23:15.
Old 22 February 2021, 11:49   #2
DamienD
Banned

I think you should run the WHDLoad version then, as you have many "Game Speed" options: http://whdload.de/games/WingCommander.html
Old 24 February 2021, 09:57   #3
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
I fancy completing Wing Commander again, but it seems a bit sluggish on a stock CD32, and graphics corrupt when playing it accelerated with TF330.

Does anyone know where I can find the CD32 Special edition of this, or any version that works well with an accelerated CD32?

Cheers.
Hi there,

I've put the version I have in the zone. Its a simple HD install (not whdload) and can be started by running "startup-sequence" in its main dir.
Works perfectly on my TF330.

(sidenote: akiko is not worth enabling on the TF330, it's only helpful on the 020.The 030@50mhz will make the game fly)
Old 26 February 2021, 01:26   #4
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairnair View Post
(sidenote: akiko is not worth enabling on the TF330, it's only helpful on the 020.The 030@50mhz will make the game fly)
Interestingly, from tests that have been done, it seems that Akiko still helps slightly on an 030/50, but that's only with extremely optimized code that runs out of fast RAM that only touches the slow Akiko registers for one write and read.

Wing Commander CD32 is not coded this way, of course, so the patched C2P routines are a win anyway on anything but a stock CD32 instead of using the stock Akiko routine in the game.
Old 27 February 2021, 08:32   #5
emiespo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post

Cheers.

As others have said, with the screen size and code of Wing Commander, the pure CPU version of the C2P routines is much faster than Akiko.

If you fancy trying it anyway - it’s still definitely playable - you should install the MMU.library and it’s 68030.library. It will mark Akiko’s address as non cacheable.

...unfortunately Akiko was never meant to be working on any cpu above a 020. On a 68030 the data cache will mess with Akiko’s detection routines in the OS. Wing commander does not use the os, but you still need to make sure that the data-cache is off when reading/writing to it (this is basically due to the silly nature of the chip: you write 8 times to the same location and read back 8 times from it. Guess what a data-cache would do... ;-)).

If you fancy using Akiko for os-friendly stuff, I made a hacky patch that will force the OS to use Akiko again: https://aminet.net/package/util/misc/AkikoTFFix. You’ll still need either the mmu.library OR to disable the data-cache (killing performance).

I found that Akiko still helps a bit on a 68030 with ADoom. Slightly faster than the blitter-assisted C2P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 February 2021, 12:42   #6
wairnair

For completeness, this was the page of the thread particularly about DOOM vs Akiko.
(a very, very slight advantage to Akiko)
Old 04 March 2021, 03:48   #7
Akiko

I look forward to playing it this weekend, thank you for uploading.
Old 30 October 2021, 00:28   #8
Torti-the-Smurf

How about a Special Edition for 16-Bit Amigas ?

With 32 Colour Graphics !!!
The Game was great on an fast 16-Bit Amiga but the Colours in the non Flight Scenes always felt lacking Colour.

Why did they not use 32 Colours ?

Down are a few examples how it could had look on 16-Bit Amigas (without HAM n Stuff)

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 29 July 2022 at 16:38. Reason: i removed those "examples" because .. space is tight and the aspect ratio was crap anyway :)
Old 30 October 2021, 02:03   #9
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
Down are a few examples how it could had look on 16-Bit Amigas (without HAM n Stuff)
Sorry, but those downsampling examples bugged me irrationally, so i had to redo them. Pixel perfect AGA screenshots reduced to 32 colors:

Old 30 October 2021, 12:15   #10
Torti-the-Smurf

Yeah, the aspect ratio was WAY OFF .. lol , but yours are very Cool !!! I Love those !!!!

How cool it would have been to see those in the 16 Bit version of Wing Commander.
32 Colours, or even EHB 64

Do you know, how hard would it be to include those in the OCS/ECS version ?

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 29 July 2022 at 17:01.
Old 30 October 2021, 13:35   #11
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
Do you know, how hard would it be to include those in the OCS/ECS version ?
No
Old 30 October 2021, 14:19   #12
ExiE

I would call *CD32 special edition* only version with Wing Commander: The Secret Missions included :-) yeah i will keep dreamin'
Old 29 July 2022, 16:55   #13
Torti-the-Smurf

HA, i saw the DEMO for Wing Commander OCS for the first time, today

http://aminet.net/package/game/demo/WingCommander

(because in an Wing Commander review of a famous Amiga Magazine was talk about this....
quote" the final product dosent look as good as the Demo" )

which is total BS, to say the least.... i mean.. ok, maybe the character picture is bit better ...
but the rest is .... well.... awful in comparision to the finished OCS version

My favorite version is the AGA (CD32) version anyway, which runs like a Dream with WHDload.

Thank you so much Psygore.

(you AGA & 2nd Button users have to use this slave that can be found here for the best AGA experience;
dont know why it wasnt released yet)

http://mantis.whdload.de/file_downlo...=1319&type=bug

Greetings, Torti