English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 07 January 2021, 17:32   #21
crazyc

There used to be a time (say 7 or so years ago) when if I watched and waited long enough I could pick up a collection only a1200 for £50 - £75. I am sure once I even dropped just under £50. Those days are long gone though and prices are what they are. I would not pay the prices you see these going for ebay (and I am not even talking about the silly BIN prices ) but then again I am not bothered about picking up another a1200. If I wanted an a1200 I would probably have to pay what I consider silly money or wait a few years for a rare bargain if lucky. (But is it worth waiting that long!)
I have sometimes paid over the odds for stuff because I wanted it and had been waiting for one and it was available. I am sure I paid way over for my IDE-Fix express a few years ago but do you know how unavailable they were/are!
Old 07 January 2021, 17:34   #22
mikele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Yep. And it makes me so angry that the "passion" guy above brazingly coming in here advertising his own "refurb" products that cost £400!! And not offering any opinion.
add video (SCART) cable, SD disk storage, PSU, mouse adapter and it's over £480
Old 07 January 2021, 18:40   #23
xcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Auctions are not recommended? What are you on about? It's the best, if not the only sensible, way to buy anything retro. Especially for those with a low budget.
For auctions nowadays you might get a bargain prise if you wait long enough but not for top condition, boxed, as new, amiga 1200s. I wrote 'top condition' and that's my experience with these items on xBay.

That's the reality now and don't know when and if gonna change. Retro is a driving force, vinyl surpassed CD sales, it's definately here. If not for emulation, PIs, MISters and Vampires it would be a 'every year it gets worst' situation.
Old 08 January 2021, 01:16   #24
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

We can’t get angry at prices going up. It is the way of the world. We pay more as things become scarce. We also have a growing community which is nothing but a good thing. Hoarding is an issue, but that exists in all facets of life (toilet paper). I love my A1200, but at some point I will let it go as I can use that money to fund a new workstation. Emulation or Fpga will have to do from then on.
Old 08 January 2021, 20:06   #25
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Would never pay that. These prices are this way, because people are paying them.
I would if i busted my 1200 and needed another in good working condition, there is a limit of course to how much i would pay.

Theres only a fixed pool of A1200s out there and working ones will become less and less over time. Not to mention that original asking price in todays money would probably be close to 700euro.
Old 11 January 2021, 08:23   #26
RichL

It’s whatever you are prepared to pay. If you think it’s not worth £200+ then you are probably going to go without a working A1200 for some time.

Is £400+ worth it for 20+ year old tech with no warranty? No it’s not however if you want physical hardware rather than emulation then be prepared to pay that for a standard system.

Where the poster says anything over £200 is a rip off, I suspect you have your machines and don’t need one? Always easier to say something is a rip off or over priced if your not the one buying. Let me know when you want to sell yours for £200 and I’ll take it off your hands.
Old 11 January 2021, 12:01   #27
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
Where the poster says anything over £200 is a rip off, I suspect you have your machines and don’t need one? Always easier to say something is a rip off or over priced if your not the one buying. Let me know when you want to sell yours for £200 and I’ll take it off your hands.

I do and even if they did'nt work, I still would never pay £200+.
If I ever do decide to sell, I would gladly sell to you for £200.

Did you buy the overpriced Turrican Anniversary pack after?
Old 11 January 2021, 12:48   #28
RichL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I do and even if they did'nt work, I still would never pay £200+.
If I ever do decide to sell, I would gladly sell to you for £200.

Did you buy the overpriced Turrican Anniversary pack after?
No I didn’t when I weighed it all up it wasn’t worth it for me.

Cheers for the first refusal by the way
Old 11 January 2021, 13:21   #29
dreadnought

Quote:
It’s whatever you are prepared to pay. If you think it’s not worth £200+ then you are probably going to go without a working A1200 for some time.

Is £400+ worth it for 20+ year old tech with no warranty? No it’s not however if you want physical hardware rather than emulation then be prepared to pay that for a standard system.

It does not really work like that, or at least it shouldn't (especially during a crazy time like Covid). Scalper prices are not an indicator of what a current value of a system is, neither is the fact that some punters don't care about money and want something immediately.

The real market value cannot be pinpointed with exact accuracy, of course, but by watching auctions for some time you can establish an approximate range fairly well. Before covid I'd say it was ~200-250GBP for a working A1200 in a reasonably decent shape (of course assorted accesories can add to that).
Old 11 January 2021, 13:25   #30
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
The real market value cannot be pinpointed with exact accuracy, of course, but by watching auctions for some time you can establish an approximate range fairly well. Before covid I'd say it was ~200-250GBP for a working A1200 in a reasonably decent shape (of course assorted accesories can add to that).

Can't argue with that.
Old 11 January 2021, 21:29   #31
RichL

Quote:
It does not really work like that, or at least it shouldn't (especially during a crazy time like Covid). Scalper prices are not an indicator of what a current value of a system is, neither is the fact that some punters don't care about money and want something immediately.

I know it shouldn’t work like that but currently it is. Take a look at any A1200 listing on eBay.

Most have bids on at around the £200 mark with around 4 to 5 day’s remaining

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+1200&_sacat=0
Old 11 January 2021, 22:00   #32
dreadnought

I said "before covid". Now is a crazy time, so there are no rules or logic to anything.

Of course prices go up as well, naturally, year on year, for justifable reasons that go with any retro hobby. If in a 6 months or so the average A1200 price settles around 300GBP I'd say it's reasonably normal.

If not, then for me it'll mean that collecting and maintaining gear this is no longer for hobbyists but, ahem, "investors".

Anyway, I'm glad that I don't have a real urge to own heaps of real hardware, and am happy with the few various micros I managed to buy last year for reasonable prices.
Old 12 January 2021, 21:53   #33
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga4000 View Post
This A1200 went for mad money 7 days ago on eBay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-1200-...p2047675.l2557
Yeah but this came with 90+ disks - must have tempted the deal lol(!)

I'm looking for the A600HD Epic pack... my 1st Amiga and wish there was an NOS of this

Back to the topic: I'm surprised at these prices. They're costing nearly as much as when they were first released!

From what I'm reading a stock A1200 alone with nothing else can be expected to sell for £300!?

There is someone doing the rounds buying up Amigas on another sales platform. I wonder whether he's going to hike up prices after he's increased his vast collection.

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 12 January 2021 at 22:00.
Old 13 January 2021, 10:24   #34
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga4000 View Post
This A1200 went for mad money 7 days ago on eBay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-1200-...p2047675.l2557
If you look at the detail its in the states, which the market is very different to UK, EU, tons of big box amigas, but the all in one units are far rarer over there and hence the price.
Old 13 January 2021, 15:19   #35
hitm4n

I have one for sale soon and i would expect £400 plus for it considering whats with it.

A1200 with a turbo 1230LC card in the trapdoor with some added memory (i think 2 mb). CPU on it does say 68030. The accelerator card looks to be in a superb condition but i've taken it out just now as i'm struggling to boot the Amiga off a black screen.

It also has a secondary disk drive, both are working to my knowledge, again needs testing. I have a 5 1/4 inch hard drive shoehorned inside the case but i might drop that out and put a CF flash card in and set workbench up on that instead, kinda a stock setup so it just works.

I'm currently stripping it down, cleaning the case and keys and trying to get it to boot. Using simple RF to 65" Sony Bravia TV for testing, the TV has detected the analogue signal, so i get the black image, but no boot image so far. It may have been detecting the harddrive and failing to boot from that, so i've taken it out as psrt of the stripdown and will try to boot again without it first. Got a few floppies to test with.

I may also replace the internal floppy for one of those Goex drives with the little display, i think they are amazing value and then the second drive is also not needed.

The harddrive also had a piggy back IDE cable that came back out of the case to hook up a CDRom drive too which i have an external pc power supply (200w) supplying power to both, one cable goes into the case for the harddrive.

This whole thing is a bit of a frankensteins monster, certainly not pretty, but last time it was out (15 years ago) it worked fine and i expect it to work fine again now.

We'll see after a clean and rebuild. I'm taking pictures and might post back if theres any interest from buyers, otherwise it'll go on ebay with some ridiculous price
Old 13 January 2021, 15:27   #36
hitm4n

Holy crap its working! Seeing the Hit Fido demo at 65" via RF, what a blast !
Old 13 January 2021, 16:49   #37
lesta_smsc

How much for stock A1200 in good working condition with PSU?
Old 13 January 2021, 18:38   #38
hitm4n

This whole thread is about the going rate for these, prices vary wildly. Depends on if its yellowed, whether its re-capped, what addons are in it i guess. £50 to £800 are the prices discussed which is a pretty wide price range eh. Or are you asking me what i want for mine? I've not got that far yet, still cleaning keycaps right now. About halfway done on those, then gonna try to get the harddrive booting again. If i can confirm it all working and it cleans up quite nicely (seems to be) then i'm going to guess around £400, but that'll be for everything. (plus shipping on top).

I think i know why it wasn't booting before as well. Harddrive was connected but not powered. Doh! I think the Amiga sees it plugged in but can't boot it. I dunno, its been so long since this thing was out, i've slept since then. If harddrive has died i'll just replace it and reinstall from my original set of WB disks. Those are in good nick too.

I'll be playing Deluxe Galaga by my old pal Edgar in a couple of hours i think.
Old 15 January 2021, 08:01   #39
RichL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaPassion View Post
If you look at the detail its in the states, which the market is very different to UK, EU, tons of big box amigas, but the all in one units are far rarer over there and hence the price.
Apologies, I thought I’d linked to a UK auction. Okay here’s another one, listed as faulty, currently £180...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commodore....m46890.l49292
Old 19 January 2021, 08:31   #40
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Apologies, I thought I’d linked to a UK auction. Okay here’s another one, listed as faulty, currently £180...
... ended at £331